New Naim Nova owner.. Some observations

Mine do with my opticalRendu/ DAC V1/160BD. I would assume much of that is down to the speakers though - my Audio Physics are know for this trick. The soundstage isn’t esp wide or ‘holographic’, but since my speakers are 11 feet apart I don’t worry about it.

1 Like

I hear differences in the various electrical sockets, cables, but I couldn’t hear the difference between an SSD plugged directly into USB compared to a fast WiFi router with Asset UPnP.

I can’t find the difference, so I chose WiFi to disable Nova’s “server mode”.

Perhaps I am deaf, or I have too good / fast WiFi router or SSD disk;). But I’m quite young and my hearing is very good ;).

I did not connect ethernet cables because they can carry electric charges (they act as an antenna when weak) - which can also be perceived as different / better / worse sound. Many people recommend audiophile routers, but it is probably related to the change from a very weak, humming router to a better model. If you have options, check how it sounds to you with a better router, eg ASUS RT-AX86U (WiFi connection only between Nova and the router, the rest on an ordinary cable for speed).

Nova should be “cut off electrically” from unnecessary electronics. Therefore, a good filter strip will be useful, and other devices at least on a different electrical line (connected to a different fuse). If you don’t have an audiophile power strip, it’s best to connect Nova directly to a wall outlet (audiophile won’t hurt;)) using a good power cord.

I haven’t tested Powerline, but I was charmed by Tellurium Q Black Power - it’s worth the amount spent.

Maybe it’s obvious, but if you have schucko sockets, you should check if the live wire is properly connected :).

2 Likes

I use my Nova over wi-fi - never had an issue, even with 24/192 files. It’s on a totally different floor of house from our router, too.

We have invested in 1GB fibre internet and a decent Netgear router, mind you!

6 Likes

The same for me, DSD128 via WiFi work great.

2 Likes

Hi,

When I bought the Nova, I tried many speakers. Despite the fact that S40 were praised by lot of people / dealers, I found the association with the Nova perfectible : they sounded dark / mat with something prominent in the bass / low medium areas. The high were lacking and the instrumental separation when lot of instruments were involved wasn’t great. The soundstage seemed too small for big orchestral music, but the voices were great. The principal concern for me is that when paired with the Nova, I couldn’t ignore the speakers.

You should try the 705 s2, they have a very different sound signature and they could perhaps please you with the Nova (way more open, “spacious” and transparent then the S40 but laking of bass and brillant with some amplifiers). For me, I preferred the Sonus Faber Sonetto II but you may not like them.

1 Like

There are plenty of alternatives to an EE8. Lots of folks on forum use a secondhand Cisco 2960 which really is cheap

1 Like

Hi Lutece, thanks for the input… Indeed, I do sometimes find the sound a touch dark then I would prefer on the Nova - S40 combination and I do consider alternatives but I do like the treble of S40s so much, it’s extremely sweet and I am afraid I might regret if I change the speakers. I am familiar with BWs and I agree the 705 s2 might be the more transparent, open sounding but at the same time I also find that range in BW a little dry in the representation, soulless.

I was also considering Focal Kanta range, ATC or the PMC twenty series but I don’t have any demo chance.

What were the other speakers you have demoed with the Nova?

1 Like

Which speaker cables are you using with the S40? To me it sounds like you like the overall sound of the S40s but want to refine it a bit into a certain direction. I have tried multiple speaker cables and found the differences quite large. With the right speaker cables for me it is like the icing on the cake. I have tried NAC A5, Atlas Hyper 3.5 before settling with AudioQuest Castle Rock. They do everything right in my setup: dynamic, sweet treble, open voices, beautiful staging.

I would go this route first before switching loudspeakers which easily costs more than good (pre-owned) speaker cables.

BR,
Richard

edit: typo

I have the NAC A5s. How would you descirbe the AudioQuest Castle Rock compared to NAC A5s ?

I also had the feeling my system sounded ‘too dark’ when using the NAC A5, that is why I switched to the Atlas in the first place. I bought it from a friend so I was able to try it first. It opened up my system’s presentation. Everything sounded more open without becoming harsh sounding (which I don’t like at all and why I like my Dynaudio speakers so much).

Another friend owns a high-end Classé system and that sounds brilliant with his AudioQuest cables. I have done a lot of research and listened a lot before deciding that the AudioQuest Castle Rock could be a great match for my system (and my budget). It further opened up my system: instruments and voices are beter separated and the overall presentation improved nicely (I am tempted to say ‘a lot’). The low level performance of my speakers improved dramatically withouth sounding boomy. I really love the dynamic presentation of these cables. Also there is more ‘blackness’ in the sound, if that makes sense. This cable brought the fantastic combination of sounding open, clear, dynamic, but also without bringing in listening fatigue.

I hope this helps.

BR,
Richard

1 Like

And how is the speaker placement? Have you experimented with that?

Hi,

It doesn’t seem to be a speakers positioning issue.

I tend to think that even if @Tolomeo likes his speakers (and they are quite enjoyable), maybe the synergy with the Nova doesn’t please him. Maybe he should wait until the Nova gets brun (100h according to some members), or maybe he should try other speakers cable (as suggest by another member). I don’t know if it will radically improve his experience, but it could be worth trying before changing AMP or Speakers (maybe borrowing one from a dealer before buying).

For the cable, I wasn’t convinced by their importance when I bought mine, and as I needed 5m cable length, I went with the Wireworld Oasis instead of the Wireworld Equinox I’ve demoed the Nova with before buying : I don’t know if it’s related to the room (treated in the shop), or the cable itself but the presentation was noticeably better in the shop (I haven’t heard other cables with the setup).

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I always presumed AQ’a are warm in their presentation. Will consider your comments and check out the Castel Rocks. I might have the chance to demo them as I know the owner of AQ dealer very closely.

Please be aware that this is an outdated model. Personally I find the new cables from AQ of a similar level too expensive. Although the person I bought the Castle Rock from did upgrade within the AQ range and was very happy about that upgrade. If you can find a good deal on the Castle Rock or the Oak, I think you are at the sweet spot in combination with your speakers (which I have heard several times and like a lot! I would NEVER sell those speakers).

BR,
Richard

Note that AQ cables come in lots of different configurations that may fit Naim gear to different degrees. Another member has just reported an overheating Nova with AQ Type 5 which seems to have been cured by using NACA5. (see the Nova heat management thread).

It is not easy to know which AQs are a fit as they don’t publish electrical specs, but some configurations (like the single bi-wire types) most likely have properties that don’t fit Naim very well

3 Likes

Correct. No fan, no problem. And the NAC A5 gave improved soundstage and sound overall. Quite amazing. Now if I could only pull myself away from it! I want to go for a hike but Hubert Laws has me mesmerized. I am absolutely loving my Nova and 816s. Wonderful combination.

4 Likes

I apologize if I missed it somewhere, but have you heard the lower Focals? The Chora 816 sound stunningly good with the Nova.

No, I haven’t. but I did read some reviews for the 826 and 806s… They sound open and very detailed due to lively nature of their presentation, I guess. Especially upper frequencies. But I am not sure if they would be an upgrade over the S40s on the overall refinement.

Well…I’ve had my Nova since Thursday, and it’s getting better by the day. Maybe I’m not as refined a listener or less demanding…but I’ve been driving my 816s so hard I’m sheepishly peeking out the front door for angry neighbors or cops…and I live on a mountain! I’d really like to hear Aria 948s with my Nova, and thought I’d be buying a pair here soon. But nope. It would be a waste for me. At least now. Once I have money to burn maybe, but…the Choras are way more than fine. As Clare pointed out, the Choras and the Unitis were matched, honed together. Another cool thing…a sense of relief. I’ve just bought my home, moved in January. That was after a feverish year long search. Once I bought and moved in there was a load lifted from my shoulders. No more house hunting. And now, after months of stressing and shopping for my system , the Nova is absolutely all I’d hoped for (and the 816s exceeded hopes) so I can finally relax. Really. I had been wondering if the Nova was a mistake and if I’d be better with separates. But…nope. I am supremely happy. So I can stop with the research…and enjoy music.

the picture is at the start of today’s hike, looking back at my brick house there up there. the second pic is where I hiked today…dot to dot! lol…

5 Likes

How are you liking your Nova now?