New Naim system got, now do I change my speakers?

It’s a wonderful system and set up you have there. I wouldn’t change anything except maybe have the HiCAP off the XPS DR, but I certainly wouldn’t die in a ditch over it. More important to just enjoy it all settle in.

You will get some comments about the set up breaking the “rules”, but I’ve done the same, and it’s fabulous, so I’d focus on just enjoying your great system. Here’s my set-up:

12 Likes

Not a Fraim!! You have wasted all your money ! Why buying expensive gear and waste it in such a way !
And why not throw away your horrible tv?

(:joy:)

3 Likes

I’ve never bothered suggesting it to Mike, it wouldn’t make any difference anyway as his speakers have only got 3 feet. :joy:

2 Likes

I was just thinking the same :joy:

Although I was more concerned why anyone would buy a trapezoidal shaped TV :wink:

3 Likes

I struggle to understand the joke. A trapezoid is that for me

Can you explain ?

1 Like

turn your picture through 90 anti-clockwise, and superimpose on `Mike’s TV - it’s perspective, but close enough for humour purposes :smiley:

3 Likes

Have you some climatisation in your house in Summer ? Because I wonder if the black boxes are not too hot inside the wood rack, without enough air around them ?

No, they never really get warm, even when driven hard. The little Heed Canalot headphone amp is always very warm though. My Nova gets very warm in the downstairs room in summer though, and that’s sitting on a desk :scream:

1 Like

I should clarify though, that my Nova conforms to the Forum rules, as it’s outside the speakers and TV. No Fraim though…

1 Like

Be assured, there is a lot of PMC users here with Naim.

3 Likes

A bit sad, you will be out of guarantee.

1 Like

My dealer has even given up trying to sell me a Fraim. He now agrees that the system is in a home, not a showroom :joy::joy::sunglasses:

6 Likes

New avatar suggestion perhaps ? PC?

Octogonal could been also a same kind of joke ?

no, that would require eight sides…

Mikes TV has only 4 (edges, really, rather than sides…if you think in two dimensions)

@Huxleyaston earlier you asked about mounting the hicap above the table, there are several wall mounts for turntables. Don’t know why that wouldn’t work, good enough for a rega p10, should be good enough for a hicap. I just love the table, not crazy about stacking Naim components on top of each other. The Focals in the 2’s could be a good choice, by demoing you will know. The 3’s are a lot of speaker to drive.

1 Like

I’ve watched this for a couple of days, here’s my personal view to add to the multiple different takes. I use Twenty5.23s on my Nova, they’re speakers that take me into the music whenever I listen to them. On the end of your fantastic electronics I’m sure the bigger siblings will be stunning. If you’re enjoying the system on its current beautiful table I’d suggest kick back and enjoy the music. If in 6 months time you feel something needs to be improved look again, otherwise remember why you have the system and just “play that funky music”.

6 Likes

My hifi dealer often advises to stop when you can’t tell the difference any more. Sounds like your experience so probably not worth pursuing racks. Some isolation perhaps but having your hifi pride of place is just as valid as squeezing some arbitrary % of SQ that may/may not be there.

I’m sure a decent stand speaks for itself but it really isn’t something that interests me. From the many lovely photos in the systems thread it seems many are also happy without stands. Each to their own.

By the sound of it, the mass of your table is high. I thought so but if it’s significant, relative to the hifi, it won’t be overly affected by acoustic or electronic vibration. It’ll be almost like placing your hifi on the floor. If the objective is to ground vibration and minimise the effects of vibration from one component to another then it’s potentially a good start.

Anyway, let us know how you get on with the Focals. PMC are supposed to be a great match with Naim already so will be interesting to hear how they compare. I love the look of the Kanta 2 but they don’t seem to do the Gauloise blue anymore.

36B23D70-C5DB-4A07-8A6B-AE10C43CF400-12390-00000AF06B8C53D9

This is a fantastic looking table. I want one.
Can think of all sorts of special things to fill those kinky drawers.
I’m guessing everyone is just jealous.

19 Likes

Back to the Speakers…

I had PMC 20.23s for many years and recently replaced them with Kuods 606s, which to me was a very significant upgrade sound quality wise.

I also demoed the new PMCs, but thought they were getting too expensive, even though I really liked the new 25.26i, but they were same price as the Kudos after some dealer discount, which to me was a better speaker.