New Naim system, lots of noise

Great news, enjoy.

1 Like

I have already type my post and save my draft.How do I post?

1 Like

The original poster already commented that the dealer did not have a suitable preamp to try.

As an additional test, I wonder if the noise persists if the power amp is the only component turned on?

1 Like

How in the world are so many people posting here completely off topic?

Can a mod delete these posts? Its just cluttering things and this thread is already long and hard enough to navigate.

I’d tell anything with preamp output regardless of price and SQ will serve good enough to check whether the noise changed or not.

Ad I understand the OP does now which unit to blame. So, with any temporal replacement for the preamp being it integrated amp, or true preamp, new, or used, will help.

I had a noise issue through my apple tv ethernet connection and a subwoofer, not sure which really, i bought an english switch and a new sub all run to the same mains and problem solved.

1 Like

It’s not your own personal diagnostic thread! People i.e. normal Naim users are just relating experiences and a bit of thread drift on any topic is normal.

Is it back at your dealers yet? If not why not?

2 Likes

For someone who has been here only 3 days, you arent exactly helping yourself with posts like this mate.

5 Likes

I once experienced a lot of noise through my system which I eventually tracked down to my central heating boiler / furnace thermostat, which was arcing badly. A new thermostat fixed my system.
I know you say you’ve turned off everything in your home but, do you have any older thermostats anywhere?
It might be worth checking.

We try to help as we can, most of us in a way or another do our best having experienced with similar issues or extrapolating. Sorry If I did mention my experience that could have been off topic.

I still think the only way is to take your new gear to be evaluated by the dealer or even Naim if you are on the UK.

Noise of some kind affects some Naim units, my 3 Naim units are silent at the moment. If the noise or some issues are at the point of bugging you I do not think is normal and should be evaluated by someone familiar with the brand.

As I mention above my Unity Atom HE out of the box produced noise from the power supply that was not normal and was exchanged after been evaluated by my dealer.

As much we try to help, if it is a problem with one of the units our solutions will not resolve the issues.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Might as well try to hold back the tide.

If you still get the noise with the NDX2 off but connected, assuming it’s not set to floating on the ground switch, than the pre amp looks the likely cause but if making the trip to the dealership you might as well take the NDX and possibly the other Naim boxes too, unless you’re strapping them on the back of a motorcycle, (but it’s probably only me that does that).

I have sympathy for the OP with his noise issues. I am in Canada in a smaller city and the Naim supply chain is not as robust as it is in the UK. A dealer might only have one unit and take considerable time to obtain a replacement. It seems that MCnut is in a similar situation. In my opinion he has been diligent in his diagnostics and the unit has to go back to the dealer.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who contributed with ideas and experiences, they certainly have assisted me in chasing this problem. However, for future reference, It would be helpful if any one responding would at least read my initial post to have an understanding of the concern, one member above inquired if I am in the UK, yet I have already mentioned that I am in a 120V environment… so no, I am not in the UK. At this point I believe I have been extremely thorough in testing everything that I could without having replacement pieces and cables to drop into the mix.

I will report back after touching base with the right people and receiving a resolution from Naim.

Thank you again to all.

Perhaps some end-users run and complain to their Dealer as soon as the smallest discrepancy arises, I am not one of those people. I will spend my own time and effort to not only learn and understand but to also assist the entire chain as much as I can. Eventually there is nothing more I can do myself and that’s when I seek assistance. I believe I am at that point.

2 Likes

Thank you Dave, I believe so as well.

@MCnut, I really hope you do get this sorted. At the risk of repeating something already suggested, a friend who got back in to Hi Fi during lockdown had a terrible time chasing a humming noise, it was worst when the phono/TT input was selected. Eventually a dimmer light switch (wall mounted and operating the main ceiling light) was the cause. Even though it was on a different (light) circuit to the Hi Fi and wasn’t even used. Once removed silence was restored…

That is a valid point of view. However, this kit is expensive and should work faultlessly. My dealer installs the kit as part of the service to both his and my satisfaction. If I have a problem he is generally here within 24 hours. A good dealer should be your first port of call imho.

Another choice would be to connect directly the Ndx2 to the 250, to see if the noise persists and comes from the 282. But I don’t know which kind of cable to use then.

1 Like