New Naim system, lots of noise

@Innocent_Bystander

…already mentioned earlier that the dealer does not have a replacement.

1 Like

Apologies to the OP for missing that. Hopefully he can at least test at dealer, or in a friend’s system.

I’d suggest anothet option, if it is not too late, to create an additional grounding and attach it to the preamp
Look at this

This way I had fixed my former 5si
However, the same cable does not help the new owner - he claims that everything attached to the 5si gives noise from time to time.

The OP already has a NDX2 which provides the signal ground > mains earth connection so an additional cable would be of no use here and would introduce a ground loop.

This assumes that the switch is set to chassis.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Indeed.

But the dealer can let you use another set while yours is away for assessment or repair

It might be worth trying another 282 input, just to rule that out….

The proposed idea intended to check if the ground works fine. MCnut said, that there is no difference in noise level between the proper cable and compromised one, without the ground. This makes me thinking that the ground does not work as expected. So, additional cable can be applied.
If it helps, this is an answer and the unit has to be sent to dealer.
If not, and assuming the ground in the socket is ok, the issue is not related to the grounding.
And last step - to check somehow if the ground in the socket is ok. I’d prefer some device or some proper measurement.

Not the approach I’d take given the components the OP has, but I don’t think grounding is the issue here. It’s more likely a faulty cable or component that his dealer can hopefully help resolve by substitution.

1 Like

from my experience, any noise at no sound situation ie. from song to song, often cause by dry capacitor of powersupply. It can sound one, two, or more…just share past experience…

1 Like

The post gets more bizarre…

1 Like

Sorry ,don’t know how to send a new post I have created.Must have pressed the wrong thing

Just press ‘Reply’ button and text in the box. Bottom of the thread - on my mobile at least.

1 Like

If you wish to start a new topic of your own then navigate to the room where you wish to post and press the + New Topic button at the top right.

Richard,you can call me an idiot,but what do you mean by navigate to the room and I can’t see a +New Topic button at top right on my iPad

1 Like

Ah, you’re on an iPad, and I assume using the Discourse App? In which case just press + New Topic at the top of the page right under your Avatar (top right). It will then prompt you for a topic title and category (room). Then type your post and press Crete Topic at the bottom.

On your iPad press the Naim icon at top left.
This will take you to the room selection screen.
Scroll down to the room you want and select it by pressing the room name ( Music Room; Lounge; etc)
Once in the room or even from the room selection screen you should see a button saying:

Press it and away you go…:man_shrugging:t2:

Received today my new Supernait 3 and my NDX 2 also returned from the repair. And I Am relieved to have my system back and working.

The Supernait 3 unit is silent and is playing beautifully. I almost forgotten how it sounded.

11 Likes

Congratulations on receiving your system back and having it running and “playing beautifully!”

2 Likes