New Nova

Hi folks. I am auditioning a new (refurbished) Uniti Nova. It comes with a 5 yr warranty. According to Naim, the serial number indicates it was produced in 2017. It looks pristine and seems to function well. It sounds great so far. I’m still warming it up. Can anybody tell me if there have been any improvements in the production of this model since 2017? If so, what were they? Just want to know if I am buying the newest model since this unit is approaching 4 years old. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

AFAIK there have been no changes, apart from in software/firmware.

You might want to check the terms of your warranty, as the usual one offered in the UK is 2 years, extendable to 5 years only for the original purchaser. So unless you bought from a dealer who has offered you a warranty, you may find that it has expired.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Knowing that I am buying an up-to-date unit was the determining factor in purchasing this refurbished unit over a brand new one.

1 Like

The Nova is a sound perfomer. There have been no publicised spec updates AFAIK, other than a few having the clear bottom panel drop due to suboptimal adhesives which Naim will fix.

Any early issues Naim corrected. A fantastic all-in-one, enjoy if you choose to buy it.

I purchased a Nova factory refurb last year from a well known online retailer … great price and included a free Muso Qb … I registered with Naim and received a 5 year warranty for the Nova … it has performed above expectations and and has been 100% reliable … and a massive eye opener … very happy
Thoroughly recommended

4 Likes

Hi Richard. I have another issue I noticed while doing some critical listening after Nova warmed up for a few days. I can hear a faint hum, scratching noise, and faint rhythmic “ticks” coming out of my speakers when I have the volume turned all the way down. After hours of troubleshooting this, I have narrowed the source down to the new Nova. I still have my Naim Superuniti that I plugged back into my system. Everything else remaining the same, and the noise is gone. This indicates to me the source is the new Nova. Any suggestions?

No idea here I’m afraid M-A. It sounds like some kind of interference perhaps? Maybe someone more familiar with the Nova can comment. Or perhaps @NeilS would have an idea whether this may indicate some issue. Failing that, have a word with your dealer.

1 Like

Faint ticking noises can be produced by powerline internet adapters. If you have any of them try stripping them out.

Hi Guys,

Certainly doesn’t sound normal, Mark’s post above is a good shout - those Ethernet over mains devices are notorious for introducing unwanted noise.
Did your hours of troubleshooting include switching absolutely everything else in the house off?

Regards
Neil.

I have been using a dedicated power outlet for the past 10 years so no, I didn’t shut everything else in the house off. One thing I tried was to reinstall my old Naim Superuniti (Replaced the Nova). After doing that, the noise was gone! I then replaced the superuniti with the Nova. The noise is back. I think doing that isolates the problem to the new Nova unit. One more observation. The Nova gets quite hot after playing music, I measured the surface temperature with a digital thermometer that gives instant readings. The temp was 115 F. I see the massive heat sinks on the sides so, that tells me it is going to produce some heat.

Pleased with mine, especially the quality of internet radio

Internally, the SU & Nova are very different beasts, so it is possible that the Nova is more susceptible to whatever it is that is causing the interference. If that is indeed the cause.
Checking the earth switch is set correctly for your setup & switching other devices off may help to pinpoint the issue. Ethernet adapters, nearby network equipment, things with motors, extension leads with neons - that sort of thing.
If you are using a wired network connection to the Nova, make sure it is unshielded, as the shielded versions (with metal plugs) can cause earth loops.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

I have a dedicated mains with dedicated consumer unit etc. Powerlines still caused issues so they were…eradicated. Unfortunately the better the equipment, the more susceptible they can come to interference. I have to turn off the LED lighting to stop background noise. I can’t honestly say it affects replay but I can hear the noise through the speakers when I’m changing sides.

Switched to unshielded ethernet cable worked. Thanks so much for your input!

2 Likes

Pleased you got to the bottom of it - niggles like that can be very annoying!

Regards
Neil.

This is perhaps not a particularly predictable issue.

Is there a way to ‘sticky’ or add this to the online info?

Hi AC,

I think “sticky” would be @Richard.Dane
And online info @Naim.Marketing

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

The forum itself is a great sink of useful information. This one was a new one for me, but one I, as well as many others will now remember. Thanks Neil.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.