New PMC Twenty5i series...anyone seen or heard?

Hello all,
Still have my on-going speaker change project in the works. Was obviously delayed by the virus confinement…
Was wondering if anyone has heard the new PMC “i” series? Perhaps at the last Bristol show? Apparently a new tweeter and tweaked crossover along with vibration absorbtion pads merit calling it them “improved”.
Secondly, in your view and experience is there any reason why the Twenty5 23i would be a gross mismatch for an SN2/HiCapDR/ND5XS2 system in a 3,5m x 7m room?
Am attracted to these speakers due to ideal height, new satin white finish and most importantly, front-firing TL port. (My current rear-ported Sonus fabers at 45 cm from back wall are a living hell.)
Do appreciate your insights/opinions as home demos here in France are akin to meeting the Virgin Mary at the boulangerie.
Brgds.

1 Like

I had the twenty.23 in my 5m by 3.6m room, firing across, and they were very good with a SuperUniti and better still with a 250DR. They should be fine with the SN2. The hole in the front is in fact the exit for the transmission line, rather than a reflex port. I found them very easy to position.

1 Like

Has a pair of those too. Great speakers. Traded in for a pair of 20-26’s that did not sound that much different. I expect because my power amp, a significantly modified Musical Fidelity A300-cr, could drive anything well. Taught me a lesson. My daughter’s small Dali’s also sound great when driven by the MF amp.

1 Like

Buy a pair of used PMC 20-23’s for about £1000. They are great speakers.

I have a pair of the 25.23’s haven’t heard the new ones, asked my dealer if there was much difference he said no. Some good bargains around for the 25.23’s just now, nice speakers.

2 Likes

I have heard the new (i) series at Bristol earlier in the year and all i can say is that they sounded very sweet indeed. Really crisp and detailed without any harshness or listener fatigue. Very dynamic and controlled in the low frequencies too. If i were in the market for new speakers i would most seriously consider them myself. Not sure how they compare to the older range however but there appears to be some real bargains (new old stock) going on the usual auction sites.

1 Like

Haven’t heard the i’s but I have PMC Twenty 23’s connected to my Nait XS2 in a 5m x 3.5m room and they are terrific. Absolutely love them and absolutely no plans to change them.

1 Like

With the frequencies at work, at 45cm front or rear firing won’t make any difference whatsoever.

I believe it’s because there isn’t a lot of interest in hifi in France, hence not that many good hifi shops.
Incidentally, I have PMC 20.23s with an SN2, and I think the combination is excellent.
I’m also interested in other people’s views on the 25.23is.

1 Like

Hi Sam, with all due respect, it isn’t quite accurate to say that the French are not interested in hifi. Many are, just like elsewhere. Not so many reviews yet, meaning none…on the 25i series. I believe they’ve attempted to balance the mid-range better with the latest version. Have you noticed a mid-range weakness in your experience?

@n-lot Can’t agree on that one. Three previous brands of front-firing ported speakers all got along well in the same room. More proof: a pair of Martin Logan Quest Z in same position was other- worldly good. I fell stupidly for a pair of SF Cremona Auditors, beautiful speakers, but that rear-port is equal to jet engine at take-off. Pull them out 1,5m and all is well but this is a living room and I don’t live alone. Feeling confident that rear-ports and my room totally hate each other.

@Naimflyer Interesting to hear. Could you tell me how far you have them from rear wall and if you’re satisfied with mid-range performance? Thanks.

@glasnaim They have made some changes. Whether that translates to a different listening experience may be another story. The thing is, I’m looking for the white finish which is not available on the previous version. My wife just looks at my hifi stuff while I listen. If she wants white…then I know what my mission is!

@Thegreatroberto BTW, I still have some beautiful Elektra series MF separates from the late 90s. Not super-fi but they run great powering older Mission 753s in the study. Always liked MF…

How well they work, where in the room, will be down to the individual speaker, but the port just needs to be clear as to not impede airflow. 45cm should be plenty.

Just hold your hand 45cm from the port with music playing, do you even feel anything?

I think it’s more likely that when speakers like to be away from the wall anyway, it’s more convenient for manufacturers to put the port at the back. It’s out of sight, locations is more free as there’s only the terminals to content with etc. While with speakers that can be placed (very) close to a wall, you’re compromising that “feautre” by putting it at the back.

1 Like

Voices may indeed sound a bit recessed on certain recordings, in which the piano sometimes feels as if it’s in front of the singer. I don’t know if you’re into classical, but that’s the impression I have with Mathias Goerne’s recordings on HM, for instance. Whether the new incarnation of the PMC 25 improves on that will be a good test for me.
“Hifi” (for want of a better word) is certainly a more popular hobby in Britain - there’s only one magazine in France now, and its circulation is very limited. But this may not be an accurate reflection of the situation.

1 Like

Well I don’t imagine the new version will be inferior to the 25.23’s and they come in white so might be a good move. Listening to them, especially in your room, would seem a good way forward. I also run a pair of Spendors in a system, the A7’s which come in white are also worth a consideration, really nice speakers.

1 Like

Hi David, mine are 70cm from the rear wall angled so they fire around 1.5 ft behind my head. Yes, I’m very happy with the mid range, in fact I’d say it’s lovely. I think they’re very well balanced speakers that go surprisingly low given their relatively small cabinets. I couldn’t be happier.

1 Like

Hi DaveParis, I’m currently running twenty5 23’s from a SN2/HiCapDR/NDX and I’m very (very) happy with their performance!
As others have mentioned it would be worth trying them in your room before purchasing, I’m delighted with mine and can’t see me changing anytime soon (or ever!).

1 Like

I also run pmc twenty5.23s connected to SN3 and fed by NDX2, no additional boxes (yet). Room is similar size, 4m x 6m, speakers are nearly against the wall. Sound, to me, is very good. Finally they also get approval from my wife not only for sound but also looks.

2 Likes