New problem with USB storage in NDX2

I have a USB stick plugged into my NDX2. I have approximately 650 albums on the USB stick.

The app now shows over 2000 albums. The reason is that the albums are duplicated several times!
I pulled out the USB stick and rebooted the NDX2. I still get multiple copies of the same albums on the USB stick!

Help please!

Sound similar to this, maybeā€¦?

I wonder whether the server mode is doing something strange. Itā€™s very odd that two people have found this, on an Atom and now a NDX2. Maybe Naim can suggest the cause? @Stevesky

It is a very similar problem indeed. The thing is, I have had the same USB stick plugged into the NDX2 for a few years now. Nothing has changed, but now it shows duplicate albums for some reason. Before yesterday, it was fine. This is a real head scratcher.

This is what the app looks like on the iPad:

How strange - at least Iā€™m not alone.

Mine seems to be behaving again now thanks to the huge amount of help Iā€™ve had from forum members.
I was getting usually 2 copies of about 100 albums out of ~500 albums. Some had 5 duplicates.
I keep all the flac files on my PC, so I reformatted the 1TB SSD I use and recopied all the files to it.
I plugged the SSD back in then Cleared the Image cache and Rebuilt the database
That seems to have sorted it out.

Iā€™m going to repeat the process this evening as Iā€™ve ripped about 50 more and see how it looks on the app.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

1 Like

Daniel, would certainly follow Petesā€™ suggestions above. Out of interest, are you copying music from a PC or MAC? Also what happens when you try to play those duplicates - do the duplicate names play the same duplicate track?

I ripped my CDs on a MAC, and transferred the files to the USB stick. All is well when I play any of the duplicate albums. The only problem is the duplicates themselves.

I cleared the image cache but still have the problem. Curiously, only albums with an artist name starting with ā€œAā€ seem to have duplicates, but not all starting with ā€œAā€ have duplicates.
Some albums appear as much as 82 times each!

As you are using a Mac, have you tried emptying the Trash Bin when the USB drive is inserted, as any deletions will be placed into a folder on that drive called ā€œ.Trashā€, and I donā€™t know if the Naim App is clever enough to ignore it (one would hope so, but worth an extra check)

The trash bin is empty.

If you are using a Mac then the usb stick will contain a set of hidden MAC OS specific files which it uses for indexing and searching and will be confusing this indexingā€¦

I use a utility called OptimUSB to strip this out (and empty the trash at the same time). It costs a few pounds

You can write a shell script to do the same thing or find one on the internet

It still seems to be available in the App Store and works on my M1 iMac with the latest OS (and every previous one for the last 6 years)

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks, but as you indicated, I do use my own shell script that uses rsync and then strips out spotlight indexes etc.

Worth a try. Just to confirm, and sorry if this is obvious, but you do need to insert the USB drive to see if the USB drive bin is empty. Without the USB drive being inserted, the bin being empty just relates to the Disk Drive in your Mac :blush:

1 Like

Which filesystem is it formatted in?

Not certain but I think I use ExFAT and canā€™t quite recall if all the ā€˜hidden filesā€™ youā€™d get in HFS+ or APFS are created in ExFAT.

I donā€™t remember what system it is formatted in.
The thing to remember, is that the USB stick has been in use for years without any problems. The duplicate albums just appeared a few days ago. I am wondering if the USB stick is corrupted in some way?

Does seem odd.

Can you easily re-create the USB stick with the same files?

Certainly good advice here for next steps

1 Like

Yes, I can do that. I will try it.

1 Like

I finally solved the problem. I took out the USB stick then went to settings in the app and I chose ā€œRebuild music databaseā€.
I then switched off the NDX2, turned it back on and inserted the USB stick. All is well now!

3 Likes

Nice.

1 Like