New products 2021

I love the sound of my dac inside my nd5xs2:) don’t want to give it away!!

Hh very true in what you say
But I wish they would try something a bit cheaper and more for the common man in the turntable department

Having read through everyone’s thoughts on this thread, and other discussions on streaming/DAC tech, it has got me thinking about a ‘logical’ way Naim could develop their product portfolio. If Naim were to release a 4th Statement tower (a Statement source), this would not only complete the Statement lineup (like the si, xs, classic, and 500 series which all feature amplification and sources), but also provide a gateway to the introduction of new DAC architecture, which could then trickle down to the rest of the streaming range over coming years, similar to the trickle down of DR tech into the wider amplification range following the launch of the Statement amplification. While it would seem strange to have launched the new platform streamers only a couple of years ago using ‘old’ DAC architecture, this was something Naim needed to do to keep pace in a growing and fast evolving marketplace, where seamless access to internet services is now a much higher priority.

With regards to a 272 replacement, while this was a popular model, if it were to be replaced, surely this should have happened around the time it became discontinued. For me, the 272 replacement fits into a wider jigsaw of any future new streaming and preamplification products. Could Naim take a similar route to Linn, whereby the preamp and streamer become combined in their entry level separates ranges, but remain separate in their mid/upper ranges? This would, of course, go against the Naim philosophy of the last 40 or so years…

That makes me feel old, I bought my first Naim product (a Nait) in 1985.

2 Likes

35 on Sunday actually! :crazy_face::+1:t2:

Well happy birthday and new year Popeye

2 Likes

I can go off people you know. :stuck_out_tongue:
Happy Birthday for Sunday. :birthday:

1 Like

I think it would be good if Naim started thinking about supporting DC power systems for when we all become carbon neutral.

I’m beginning to think about building a new house (well converting/extending a 4 bay garage actually). Given that heating is out and insulation/solar gain is in, not as much electricity is needed. With enough solar panels night time AC power could come from an inverter and energy store. Lights would be LED (DC powered) as most often we just convert from AC to DC because we don’t have DC wiring.

All the grumbles about noise from the electric supply would disappear and our systems might get cheaper!

Whilst not everyone (very few) will be able to produce enough electrical energy for self sufficiency, it would be good for Naim (@charlie.henderson) to think about alternatives to transformers which are likely to be banned because of their effect on AC mains before long.

Phil

2 Likes

Completely agree. The black box design allows for integration in very different types of interiors without imposing too much its presence. And with numerous boxes, it’s even more important.

1 Like

Don’t worry, you’ll cause more pollution building a new house!

4 Likes

The climate changes surely will demand alternative psu tech solutions, stand-by etc in the future…
A challenge for many audio manufacturers.

1 Like

Haha! Some of us like the green challenge.

Phil

If you have a thermally efficient house then some heat from keeping the HiFi on 24/7 can be justified as it’s not wasted (as much). We can expect regulation of power supplies because they disrupt the mains by not drawing energy throughout the mains cycle. The bigger Naim PSUs only draw energy for a very short time around peak voltage. This keeps the mains noise out for all but the even shorter charging time compared to smaller transformers.

Phil

Would love to see a shoebox size streamer+dac (perhaps a successor to the DAC-V1) though it seems quite unlikely.

5 Likes

Or earlier… Same is true generally for analogue amps, just refinement - and maybe Naim have refined as far as they can within the price points, which might mean no new amps unless they go for cosmetic change … or find a way of reducing input sensitivity on digital inputs?

1 Like

Given the current price of a 552/500 combo, 20k would be a value wouldn’t it? The Gryphon Diablo is $14k however - so perhaps comparing it to the price of 552/500 sets up a false comparison.

The Diablo 300 is more than 20k dollars, because it was around 18k euros in France last year. Seems discontinued however.

oh the only reference I found had it at 14k UKPounds but that might have been old.

1 Like

Cause it’s the case that is very expensive and it has to change to bring conformity across the brand.

1 Like

Would be quite fun to see a 3 shoebox sized component set…

CORE V2 - storage/streamer/Roon endpoint
DAC V2 - DAC and preamp/headphone amp
NAP 100 V2 - power amp

All three in the new Uniti chassis design.

Would be above the Nova in SQ.

4 Likes