New speakers to replace DBLs, suggestions please

Hi Deeg

It would be great to hear what you think of the WB Vectors. I am probably in the queue behind you to hear them - unless they have a few pairs for demos. The WB attributes and the design of their speakers certainly appeal to me.

What other speakers are you considering ?

Karl

Hi Karl

Will pass on my thoughts and as you say, their design and material is part of the appeal as well as how they sound. Cant fault the clarity of my Arcs but they need to be driven hard to sing, Am looking for similar at a lower volume level with maybe a bit more bass.

While they are here, i have some titan 606 and 505 coming for a few days each and possibly focal kanta2 if they arrive at my dealers in time.

Deeg

Karl,

you may find that some smaller speakers may take up more room. For example, the ATCs need to come into the room a reasonable amount.

Going left field, seeing that you appear to all digital, perhaps have a look at the Dutch and Dutch 8C. They appear to do exactly what you are after. I think you might make a profit in fact.

Alternatively, perhaps the Neumann KH420 or KH420 & DIM 1. Very left field but sort of like ATC but with an R&D budget…

Actives ATC’s should surpass the passive version, even if driven by the 500 amp :grinning:

@delft. I’m going to throw my hat in with ProAc’s they do all the hifi stuff really well but their forte is their ability to just make Music , hours and hours slip away when under their spell !

1 Like

Why not these Brandt speakers?

1 Like

I’ve not heard them myself, but others have commented on how wishy washy they can sound without a good front load.

5 Likes

Hi

Many thanks to all for the suggestions so far.

MartinM > Neumann speakers are a new name to me. I have seen the Dutch & Dutch recommended in Stereophile . I will have to see if they have a UK dealership.

Opus > Do you know if the K6 Signatures are fussy with placement? I would need them to be fairly close to the back wall.

Karl

Give a very clean sound, though :blush:

1 Like

If you like big displacement drivers for visceral impact, huge soundstage and natural timbres, try to listen to JBL4367. Not the most detailed speaker out there (neither are the DBLs) but they make music fun. Rock, blues, jazz, electronica etc. they are amazing but if you listen to a lot of classical or big orchestral ensembles, they might not be for you…

@delft Karl any big full range speaker needs some space around them. You might be better off with K3 if space is an issue

There are D&D dealers dotted around the country. Neumann are essentially Sennheiser’s ‘pro’ department. They bought Klein & Hummel out and the speakers are made along side Sennheiser and Neumann headphones in Ireland.

Hi Opus

I think I will need to rearrange my room and have the speakers firing down the length of the room to create more space. I can also employ some room acoustic treatments - I have some bass traps that I bought when I had difficulty with a previous speaker in a room.

Fortunately this is my own room so no WAF (wife acceptance factor) is necessary! :grinning:

So far my list of possibles include:

ACT SCM 50 (active or passive)
Wilson Benesch Vector
PMC Fact.12 Signatures
Dynaudio Confidence 30
Focal Sopra 3
Magico A3
Franco Serblin Audio Essence
B & W 802 D3

I am going ahead with DRing the 500. That should help things I would imagine.

Karl

You won’t need to go to the expense of DR’ing anything … if you go for the active 50’s :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

I’d add ProAc K6 Signatures to your list.

1 Like

I will second the ProAc K6 Signatures. Love my pair.

1 Like

From what we can read here the Kudos models seem to be not so problematic with placement in the room. What is your experience with the Proac‘s? Can the R 6 be placed close to the wall or does it need space around and rather free standing?

1 Like

The K6’s port out the bottom… this allows more freedom to place them. Like any ported speaker they benefit from space, my pair is only 12" from the back wall. The bass performance is unbelievable from a pair of 6.5" woofers. Made my old Titan’s sound anemic by comparison.

1 Like

Really it doesn’t make any sense at all it’s how the speaker interacts with the room.
In that case you need lots of space from rear and side walls so, be careful, try them first not to waste your money!

Thank you for your reply. Even if they 12‘‘ from the backwall, you seem to have a lot air around them. In my room they would be surrounded By furnitures and to their left by the fraims. So maybe not so optimal in my case?!