New speakers to replace DBLs, suggestions please

It was a question to Chris, who owns a pair and can comment on his own experience.

Post a few pics of your room. That will help the group give you advice.

Terrible mess right now given that the DBLs are all in pieces as the bass drivers have been sent to ATC for reconing.

Karl

3 Likes

Hi Karl.

I’m not sure if the NAP500’s regulator design is the same or similar to the NAP250’s or 300’s, but if it is after about 8 years or so it’ll turn into an oscillator not a regulator. That has a bad effect on sound…initially fuzziness then buzzes and other odd noises. Hence, while everything is in pieces it may be worth having that checked over.

Hi Martin

Yes the 500 is going back to Naim for DR and service, thanks for the advice.

Karl

Karl,

That’s good news. I think you’ll fall back in love with DBLs when this is all done. BTW the DBLs look fine in your room.

Hi Martin

It’s funny, big as the DBL are, I have never had any trouble with room acoustics issues at all and I have
had them in 3 different rooms now. This is the smallest room so far I have had them in. On the other hand the small Neat MFS standmounters caused no end of problems. I’m no physicist but maybe it was because of the isobaric loading and rear porting?

I still have the Neat MFS so I am playing around with them :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Karl

Hi Karl
Take your time to reevaluate your DBLs once back on song with reconed bass drivers, new foamings inside and a thorough resealing. DRing and potentially servicing your 500 will also bring back substantial emotional bliss. I think they fit in your room quite nicely. They do have enough air left and right. Most importantly they are speakers placed against the back wall that barely step into the room.
Happy to help with further advice once your drivers are back and the foaming arrives.
Charlie

2 Likes

I guess that means that you have ruled out the active ATC’s (without audition), since you are now upgrading the power amps

Hi Charlie

You give good counsel sir.

Yes no need to rush but I would like to have a perusal of what else is out
there and see what I might be missing out on.

I used to have my system in an annexe which was a much bigger room. However the brother in law needed accommodating, so moved the system in to the main house. That causes issues with playing loud at night. With a passive 500 I don’t get much effect from the DBLs until 10 o’clock on the volume, only then does the soundstage expand with the volume. It may be quite different for you in active. Also because the DBLs need to be close to the wall they can only really be fired across the shorter length of the room - the other way the radiator and patio doors are in the way! Another speaker that needs more rear space would work better firing down the room.

Foam is due to arrive end of this week . I haven’t heard back from ATC on their inspection report. They reckon they are very busy and focused on new build production. Good to hear they are doing well. I suspect I won’t see the reconed drivers for some time.

Do they change the fixings where you resolder the wires back on ? Do they recommend any special solder? I see you can buy WBT solder which has a much higher silver content for hifi .

Karl

That looks like my dream room. All what is missing is a grand piano :slight_smile:

Hi Mr Frog

I haven’t ruled out ATC SCM 50 active.

Unfortunately bad luck seems to be running for me right now. The 500 ps keeps blowing fuses so needs to go back to Naim. I thought this would be an opportunity to DR it - if I need to sell it then it would have a better resale value.

Also I read a review of the ATC SCM 50s where the reviewer tried passive ATC SCM 50s with a 500DR against active ATC SCM 50s and he thought it was better passive with 500DR.

Reading about the ATC 50s one issue that made me hesitate was that they are so transparent that it might make some of my less well recorded 1980s CDs sound crappy. At the moment my current system with the DBLS is quite forgiving of these types of CDs.

Karl

1 Like

Hi Karl,
If you decide to get your 500 DRed, you may be surprised it will come back like a wolf in sheep clothing. Easily the best vfm. DR-upgrade of the lot! Enjoy Peter

I did the home demo thing last year, with active ATC 100s against my Nap 300DR, to decide whether go active or to move to NAP 500DR.

I found the ATCs to be very agile speakers, but, to me, a bit sterile and soulless against my Neat MF9s, so decided to go for the NAP 500 instead.

My ears, my music room, and just my opinion, for what it’s worth.

3 Likes

Hi Peter

I guessed it might be the best DR upgrade - nice to hear of your experience.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your Statement preamp thread - better than any TV thriller! You are a lucky chap - though I am sure you worked hard in your career to afford such an experience - and to have a wife that “allows” you to spend so much. Congratulations. However I was rather distressed to read that my 552 was effectively broken :sleepy:. Comforting to know that I am not the only luddite still playing CDs.

Karl

1 Like

Hi Dave

Wow those MF9s are big, you must have a large room. Are the XL10s a redesign or just a new name?
I liked the sound of standmount MFSs but they seemed to excite even a large room - but I admit it was a bit of a bare room. Did you ever listen to the ATCs in passive form?

Karl

The solder I used upon recommendation from ATC.
No they don’t do anything to those fixings. So you have to clean it by yourself. I didn’t shorten the wires but removed the remaining old solder there as well. But clipping them is sure fine too. I did that with the tweeters but they are really really sturdy. Also some rest of the silicone will remain on the metal frame. I didn’t bother too much with it but tried to at least partially get rid of it. Make sure atc sends you same gaskets. You may have to specifically ask for those to be included. Not exactly trivial to get them in but eventually manageable. In the meantime you can play with refoaming :sweat_smile:

Hi

Great thanks! Located a suitably small amount on the internet. I see that it has a high silver content too.

Gaskets?? You mean the black rim that is in pieces that go on last? I don’t remember taking anything else off unless it all came off in horrible black gunk…not feeling so confident now :anguished:

Hi delft,

I gradually moved up through the Neat MF range until I was able to capture my MF9s, less than three months old, at less than 50% of retail … couldn’t resist.

Funnily enough, the MF9s offered more tuneful, in control bass, over either the MF5 or MF7, which I’d previously had, and once the NAP 500 got a grip on them, any previous boominess just disappeared.

The XL10’s are, as you say, something of a redesign of the MF9s, but I haven’t been lucky enough to obtain a pair at a similar advantageous price!

I didn’t try the ATCs in passive form, as it was really a shoot out between the active version and the NAP 500. I had the actives at home for 3/4 weeks before deciding on a new power amp.

As I mentioned, the ATCs are fast, agile speakers, but maybe I’d just got so used to the Neat sound, which works for me.

Hi Karl
No stress :sunglasses: you’ll do fine :wink: !
ATC can provide some 15 inch gaskets with preformed holes for the bolts that go between the wooden cabinet and metal frame instead of the original silicone seal. So ask for these to be included. They will make sure the drivers are mounted air tight again onto the cabinet.

Rhe solder is from RS company.