New Thorens TD 1600 / 1601

My mum died of cancer when I was ten so I’ve not been taught the niceties, I’m afraid. So I’ll carry on as usual without the need of patronising advice. What’s wrong with being negative? The deck looks like retro crap. What’s wrong with saying that?

The OP did ask for “any views on the new model” :slight_smile:

1 Like

All these example of retro decks look Ok, but they are all let down by the arm. They just look too modern, totally spoils the look.

Just think how good the Thorens would look with an arm like this. :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Alright Fish sorry about your Mother. I had Lung Cancer 5 years ago and I’m clean, at least for now, and it was no fun. So why not be nice, or at least be polite? because it’s better for your health and well being. It’s not that hard to do. And I wasn’t patronizing you. As for the Thorens table it looks nice, one could say an LP12 looks retro too. Rolex’s have looked about the same for ages… so come on Fish Face relax have a beverage, stop being an old lumpy grumpy :rage:

3 Likes

LP12s are really plug and play these days. Your dealer will install it if you buy new. It might need a service occasionally, say every five years, but absolutely no tinkering required in my experience.

3 Likes

That’s a nice looking deck, not too dissimilar from Feeling Zen’s

My first serious source was an Hitachi tape deck, we forget that tape was frequently a part of a serious audio system .

1 Like

I have had a Linn LP12 for more than 35 years, and I have never subscribed to the notion that they "constantly " need attention. Apart from when my Valhalla board blew, mine is serviced when I feel it is time for a new cartridge.

Perhaps my lack of “golden eared-ness” is why I have only just discovered the triangle solo in the background of “Enter Sandman”. An attempt at humour here for the excessively literal minded…

4 Likes

Hi,

well it looks exactly like the thing Linn stole the idea for the Sondek from…

:slight_smile:

m.

1 Like

But I admit that the Sondek had more class…

I’ve had at least one TD 160, and this surely is not the original plinth. Its’ too tall, just like the 1600’s.

This

unnamed

is a TD 160.

4 Likes

Damn, that looks good!

Yes, the original is a lovely looking thing, compact and functional. Yet the new one is puffed up and just looks awful. Retro done well can be brilliant - the Tivoli Table Radio for example. But done badly, well, think of the PT Cruiser. The new Thorens is far closer to the latter.

I didn’t say it was original or the same. It was made in the general likeness. I mean, if the name is not a hint, maybe this is, from the Thorens website:

Return of Thorens DNA

Thorens TD 1600 combines the brand’s tradition of the past with 21st century’s technology. Externally quite similar to former famous 160 series with classical wooden plinth, two-part platter with inner belt and thick rubber mat, arm board and acrylic dust cover, it contains a lot of innovations inside.

I´d rather go with one of their second hand classics as TD-160, TD-320 or TD-125/ 126. This new ones are just old wine in new tubes. The classics offer a much better price / performance ratio.

About the PT Cruiser I could double your comments on the 1600 to the word… And about the Tivoli One too. I very much regret having bad FM reception in my area. I still remember the earliest Naim brochure, where they stated that ‘given a proper aerial, FM can be the best source of all’ (quote from memory). By the way, to give credit where is due, the first floating subframe TT was made, and I believe patented, by Edgar Villchur of Acoustic Research before 1960.

m.

2 Likes

Any resemblance between that an the LP12 is purely coincidental, but I wonder about the use of the same arm as the LP12 on the Majik followed a year later by the switch to the Jelco (lovely arms -a real shame they stopped trading)

2 Likes

Isn’t the new TP-92 arm supposed to be a real step up?

:joy:

Anything to add?

So the new 1600 is indescribably awful, absolutely hideous, because the plinth is about a quarter of an inch too high. And indeed there is a ridge above the top plate. And the old 160 (which I once owned - with an SME arm) was a thing of beauty.
I’m rather rather puzzled, to say the least. Most of those things are ugly, including the Regas.
The whole question is whether they do the job properly or not. I would not want them in my lounge if they weren’t good at making music.

1 Like