New Thorens TD 1600 / 1601

There is a review on the web somewhere that compared the Thorens TD1600 (or 1601?) to the Accurate LP12. Reviewer preferred the Thorens…

It would be very interesting to directly compare the Thorens to the latest Majik LP12 though. I’ve had a Majik LP12 recently and they are seriously good turntables, significantly better than their 80’s and 90’s forebears too. Modern LP12’s don’t go off like they used to either because the components are better machined. They are the epitome of plug n play too because they come expertly setup by the dealer and you are unlikely to need to see the dealer again until the belt and oil needs changing. More likely you’ll be in having it upgraded before then anyway.

Anyway, I don’t think that Thorens is getting the attention it deserves. I’d love to hear one.

1 Like

The increased height is obviously needed to accommodate the internal phono stage, etc.

I can see your point, it wouldn’t look good sat on an ugly rack containing ugly black boxes next to speakers sat on ugly speaker stands.

However, it would look stunning sat between a beautiful wooden sleeved Marantz/Pioneer receiver and a beautiful wooden sleeved Tandberg Reel to Reel, sat on a beautiful piece of furniture.

2 Likes

Ha, you’ve described mine and most people’s setups very well! But back in real life, how many people have the wooden sleeved Marantz and Tandberg? If it only looks good amongst things from the past, that hardly suits it for the times we live in now.

I like the new Luxman Pd 171. Old fashioned too, but elegant.

4 Likes

Well, I don’t own ugly speaker stands or ugly rack. I don’t know anybody (in real life) who still owns seperates. Young people don’t tend to buy seperates, we’re not living in the 70s/80s.

Maybe this

Is a good visual match for one of these.

Both have black surround with brushed stainless steel top.
Plus the TD1600 has line out and the muso has line in. A perfect match.

1 Like

Beautiful.

1 Like

Negotiating room in case the dealer gets asked for a discount?

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Best wishes

1 Like

At this price it should come with an invisibility cloak

1 Like

The rear looks serious… And the tonearm too. The more I watch it, the more I suspect it could be a fine TT, only not very slender, so to speak.

1 Like

I’m not certain there is an internal phono stage, the manual doesn’t mention cartridge type and it would if there were. However the normal balanced connector has a ground and with two of them you would have a ground loop, maybe the centre pin is floating on both, you still use the earthing post for ground and they’re only there for reasons of fashion, much like biwiring terminals on speakers.

1 Like

My Bad.

You buy one of these slowly saving from the grocery, then one day you play one of those LPs printed from an old, worn-out matrix on low-quality vinyl then packed still warm and tightly wrapped in cellophane so that it comes to you warped, and you realize how much crazy love we sometimes give to this hobby.
On the other hand, a guy in my neighborhood has a white Lamborghini and on Sundays he drives it through the small town at 50Km/h. When I hear the sound of it waiting at a traffic light I think of a lion in a cage. But while I’d gladly give my soul to Lucifer (supposing he has a use for it) for that guy’s car, I can serenely pass on the Clearaudio, if ever at the idea of dusting it.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

But they all own a turntable and buy records at 25€ / pc. and do not even notice that many have bad pressings, are warped and sound horrible. At least they seem to have a natural understanding of „source first“ :slight_smile:

It looks good to me. Visually more of a TD150 take than 160, which I prefer. I’d like to see and hear one in person. I love the 150–great old table. An updated version seems cool to me.

Where did you find this? Is it allowed to link to other sites? I am interested in reviews of thores td 1600, and especially comparisons between it and comparable rega, linn, technics and clearaudio. Hasnt found to much…

It’s towards the end of the Hifi-advice review. Accurate LP12 with AO PU7.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.