New to the Forum naim preamp question

Forgot that configuration, yes, you can even bi or tri-amp the setup and drive speakers active using the Selekt internal Exakt hub, very flexible, also has Space Optimisation to tinker with built in.
I’ve got mine setup for 5.1 with the Surround processor and HDMI board, Katalyst on one amp module (Front L/R), standard one on the other two modules (Center + LFE/Sub and Rear L/R), you can mix and match to your specific needs relatively easily. You can support more audio channels through an external Exakt hub if you need to, I think the multichannel audio board does at least 7.1

1 Like

Reading all the replies I think Friday will be very interesting and I will report back my findings of both the speakers but also how the various sources interacted with them. Thanks all.

1 Like

If you can try a Selekt DSM with preout + Katalyst DAC and also a KDSM/2 and compare the two.
If you can, listen to the Passive SCM40’s and with a Katalyst Twin or even a NAP 250 if they have it. Comparing the same speakers active and passive is worth doing to see what differs and what you may gain or lose relative to the amp options, that’s pretty much what I’ve asked to hear myself this coming Friday at Audio Barn.
Also check what mains IEC’s and XLR IC’s are in your demo setup, if they’re using £5k worth of cables that may skew the impressions and weigh on your own budget in relative terms!

Hi Mr M
I am particularly looking at active speakers as space dictates only a compact hifi stand so passive 40s and seperate amps are unfortunately not going to be part of the equation. However you do make an excellent point about the cables and I will make sure I get a costing for the ones they are using.
I am getting an (almost identical to mine), LP12 as one source and a selekt dsm and am hoping for a Klimax as well but if not available then if I decide to go down the DSM route I will do the Selekt v Klimax at a later date. I Although funds will probably dictate 2nd hand for any Klimax box but at least I can do as much of the initial research as possible on Friday especially comparing the CA2 pre with the Selekt pre.
Do let us know your thoughts following your demo as we can maybe compare notes.

Absolutely, it’s all good research regardless. The reason for suggesting doing a passive comparison of same speakers was to better identify what the active amps added/removed vs external amps as opposed to what you need/would buy.
Always good to check the whole setup as I’ve heard demos only to realise the cabling alone blew my budget :partying_face:

1 Like

I have just come back from demoing the ACT 40a’s and CA2 preamp. I am mightily impressed with the sound of those two items.

Short review - pros - I love the sound they make! very detailed and revealing with supurb soundstage and good timing on fast rhythmically challenging music. Cons - shows up poor recordings, very heavy, heat sinks get quite warm.

Long review - The main source was an LP12 which was full selekt with a Krystal cartridge. The spec was less than my LP12 so as a benchmark reference I played side 2 of John Martyn’s Grace and Danger, an album I know almost note for note. At once I noticed much more midrange detail with the snare and small toms and vocals being more to the front of the mix in a very appealing way. So far so good.

Some people have commented on a “dry” sound from the active 40s but I am not sure I agree. Every thing was just more detailed and clearer, eg pauses for breath could be heard as well as vocal vibrato etc and the instruments sounded more like real instruments eg a hammond organ on one track was pure hammond not a over reverb laden hammond. Piano, guitars and bass sounded incredibly detailed every nuance revealed - supurb. And the horn section just sang
Leonard Cohen’s live recording of Hallelujah was another track that was a delight to listen to. His gravelly voice and extended vocal range simply filled the room.

The speakers also coped very well more rhythmically complex music eg Trip Trap (live recording) by Marcus Miller. Every note was identifiable especially the more percussive passages with the timing of the lower bass notes being very well controlled - no soggy bottom here.

A down side is that these speakers are totally revealing and show up poor playing, mixing or recording . On one Eva Cassidy track, poorly recorded acoustic guitar was noticed behind superbly recorded vocals. A cheap jazz recording “kings of drums” had to be taken off after about a minute of playing as it sounded terrible. Through my current Naim Uniti2 and Neat Motives the album is passable and fun.

I did listen to some streamed music via a Selekt DSM but as I need to do more research into streaming before committing myself I parked that bus, however internet radio in the form of “Linn Jazz” via the Selekt DSM sounded wonderful so a major plus.

Conclusion. These speakers and pre amp really delivered for me using the LP12 as a source. It was the incredible detail, the seamless way bass mid and treble worked with no sonic lumps or bumps and the soundstage that really pleased me. The only downside is they show up poor recordings and poor playing so if I do get the speakers and preamp, my record collection will probably get smaller first as I get rid of unplayable records.

I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole

I have active 40s being fed by a 282 with hi cap. Non of my records are even remotely unlistenable. I would look to demo at home because you will not get a sense of how it sounds in your room from a dealer demo. Harshness can often be the room not the electronics

Can you expand?
If I hear poor quality music or poorly recorded music it grinds with me especially if it is a studio album there should be no excuse. If I hear my records in a new light and now notice some duds I would simply take this as an opportunity to weed out my records collected over 40+ years a bit.

In the end, the good thing with hifi as a hobby is that there are many options and what you might buy will be differnt to me and neither is actually wrong.

I took 10 albums with me to the demo one deliberately being a very old compilation record of Jazz drummers which even when I brought it was not of ‘good’ quality. However yesterday all its faults were fully exposed and it was not enjoyable. I took it along as reviews of the speakers that I had read said it would expose poor recordings and they were correct. So a 90% success rate on listening is excellent especially as I had set that record up to fail.

As you advise, a home demo will definitely be the next step, yesterday was for me to see if they even warrented a home demo. I live in the countryside and my local dealer is over an hours motorway drive away so it is not easy for me to listen to new equipment.

Each to their own, but if something was making me not listen to the music I like, regardless of recording quality it would not even get into the room. Having said that I do not get that with the ATCs. I can tell if a recording is less than optimal but it does not make me not want to listen if I like the music.

The ATC amplication I’ve heard were far from Naim performance.
Quite frustrated actually as active ATC are really potential keepers.
I’d urge to create home-demo before any cash given out.

1 Like

Hi PerF
A home demo is next, I liked them in the shop demo but I do agree, its not home!

But active ATCs use ATC’s amplification.

Roger

1 Like

…and when I heard the active 40’s & 50’s using a Naim PreAmp and Streamer they sounded fantastic!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.