New to the Forum naim preamp question

I don’t have one, but having auditioned an SCA2 with the corresponding P2 power amp I wasn’t impressed. If it interests you I would try to compare it directly against a Naim or other pre.

There in lies the boxcount challenge.

1 Like

The ATC preamp should on paper pair well with the speakers as they are made by the same people hence that as option 1. However it is just the first of the options I will listen to and I may decide I do not like the speakers using any of the options and have to rethink speakers.
As the source for the demo will be an LP12 almost identical to mine I have a good reference as well as the records I will be bringing from home.
Your thoughts on the SCA2 and P2 are really interesting and I may reach the same conclusion as you the demo will decide. Thanks for all your replies, so much food for thought, a proper feast of information. Kind regards Matthew

Edit as MrM says box count is important and for the wife visual esthetics.

Whilst not identical to your journey, I’ve been thinking more in this direction especially as I’ve owned and enjoyed what the Selekt DSM offers, even though that’s acting as a one box integrated and capable of 5.1 output.
My parallel thought process relates to my main Naim system which today monopolises a room entirely to itself but is the least used system I own. I actually talk about it here more than I listen to it ironically.
In my old house it was in my office which doubled as a sitting room so inevitably had more accessibility during times I was likely to use it, namely daytime when my young children weren’t demanding attention.
I like the idea of a DSM I can incorporate more appropriately into the same “music room” occupied by the Naim system today and just add active ATC speakers and job done, keeping the bulk of what my Naim system delivers today without feeling it needs to take exclusivity over how the room is used. It functions mostly as an “off limits” adult space today which is restrictive ultimately.
I have a full Fraim, and SN3 + NDX2 which could quite easily become a higher spec DSM and active ATC’s and allow the room to broaden its functionality.
Looking forward to hear how your demo sessions go and what you narrow down your choices to.

2 Likes

I thought the same as you, that ATC amps and speakers must be good together, I tried the combination because I own ATC SCM 40 speakers, I asked if the dealer could get a SC2 and P2 in for me to hear and ATC sent their SCA2 pre as they considered it to be the appropriate partner to the P2 power amp.

In comparison with my NAP 300 I preferred my NAP.

They are actually slightly narrower at the front and increase towards middle and taper in at back, 235mm/265mm/180mm, the base at the front I measure as 360mm. I initially thought they seemed larger but in my room they are ok.

glasnaim
Many thanks :+1:

Beware, there are two ATC preamps in discussion here. My understanding is that you are auditioning the CA2 which costs around £2k. The SCA2 is an £8k preamp and ATC’s top pre, which I’m guessing would be out of budget.

Roger

Agreed, but I am more taking the wider general point that one reply did not like the complete ATC pre power speaker combo, rather than the fact he tested the higher priced pre. I will wait for my demo to see what I think about the ATC pre and speakers (the cheaper one). Maybe mixing and matching brands is the way to go, my ears will tell me at the demo.

1 Like

If you are going to use a Naim pre then, with the exception of the Atom HE, they do not have balanced outputs so be careful with cable selection if you are thinking 2m or longer cables from pre to ATC.

1 Like

… and Statement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi guys
I am going to demo the ATC40a’s this coming Friday. The shop has the ATC CA2 pre in store for me to listen to with a similar spec lp12 to mine and my vinyl. So thats option one catered for.
I asked about a Linn DSM and they have the Selekt and not the Akurate because it is discontinued. When I asked about using the Selekt as a pre he said dont bother use it as a source only and still use the CA2. I was a little confused. Is the Linn pre in the Selekt so bad? Am I being talked into buying the CA2 as well so they get more sales?
Has anyone used a Linn DSM Selekt, Akurate or Klimax as a pre amp and with what results. I will listen on Friday and let my ears ultimately decide but any thoughts as a headsup would be really useful. I am trying to reduce box count as well as upgrade if both are actually possible. I also do not have an unlimited budget.

I use my upgraded Linn Klimax DS direct into SCM40s and it sounds brilliant to me. So it’s most definitely possible to use it that way. Would it be better with a dedicated preamp? Possibly, but the sound I get is so enjoyable, I’m not tempted to investigate.

Before that I used Auralic Vega G2 direct into the ATCs and that also was a very fine sounding combination.

BTW are you sure the Accurate DSM is discontinued? It’s listed in Linn’s 2022 price list and quite a few dealers are advertising them.

Enjoy your audition on Friday and do report back.

Roger

Roger
Hi and many thanks for the very quick reply. I fully appreciate your Klimax DS is a big increase over a Selekt but your confirmation that you use it as a pre confirms my previous thoughts. I will do a thorough test and maybe try a Klimax as well (to see what I am missing) perhaps I need to search out a used Klimax.
I will report back my findings after Friday’s demo.
Thanks once again.

I think it’s only the Akurate LP12 that has been dropped now there is a Selekt version, rather than the Akurate DSM.

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

Roger

I would try it out and form your own judgement, I’ve got a Katalyst Selekt with power amp outputs, very flexible bit of kit.
As a preamp to active speakers, sure why not, it’s designed to do exactly that.
The Akurate DSM is due a refresh, will probably get one soon, Katalyst DSM is a great source/preamp of course, depends on your budget and expectations.

Mr M
Thank you, I was in panic mode having spoken to the dealer. I will question him on Friday as to his reasonings and more importantly listen with my ears to the various options available. Glad to know you are enjoying your Selekt Katalyst which I hope to put through its paces.

I got it originally to replace an aging (yet still capable, bit like its owner) Arcam AV Receiver, with a plan for it to be a decent simple one box solution to support 5.1 and a projector.
That plan derailed somewhat as I moved house and layout / room options changed accordingly so I currently use it in my home office as just a 2 channel amp driving passive PMC DB1i on my desk.
I have used it with other speakers and for a bit in a surround setup.
The great thing about it being you can reconfigure it at a dealer in minutes to suit your needs including DAC options, there’s a high likelihood they’ll do an Organik DAC for it at some point soon, they sell very well apparently either paired with a Katalyst Twin power amp or using internal modules as I do.
I had originally considered a Nova but the Selekt is so much more flexible and also has Exakt and a decent MM/MC phonostage built in to cover all the source options you’ll likely encounter.
As a preamp with a Katalyst DAC it’s a solid option certainly vs a KDSM/2 which is less flexible, depends what’s important to you and your budget but I can highly recommend it, very stable software and the Linn app is clean and simple and again stable in use, all important aspects of your interaction with the product.
I’m doing some active speaker demos this Friday with Selekt DSM and ATC for reference.
In the case of the AV setup I ended up with a simple in wall 2 channel setup driven by an Atom, works nicely and is as simple as it gets.

1 Like

I saw one of the localish dealers to me was running a Selekt with 2x internal amps and 2x Katalyst DACs. This drove Kudos Titan 505s actively, all from one box.
Pretty neat.

2 Likes