New turntable time & pre amp

Indeed.

Iā€™ve run a Xerxes 20+ with the Artemiz 2 arm and a DV XX-2 since 2010 and the original Xerxes before that (from 1990 to 2010).
I recently auditioned the Vertere MG1 after reading so many good things about it, and I have to concur that it is very good. But for me, not good enough to warrant parting with Ā£10k plus my Xerxes to own it.
As you might have guessed, Iā€™m recommending you give the Xerxes 20 a listen.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll get much help here with your question regarding Music Hall or Fletcher turntables as Iā€™m pretty sure that most here are like me and have no experience of either. What I would say is that I wouldnā€™t assume that itā€™s a safe bet that P8 or 10 would definitely be an obvious recommendation for you. When I was getting back into Vinyl around 2016 I recall liking the P6 a lot, but not engaging at all with P8 or 10. Ultimately, I found a whole new world of music in the LP12 range, but acknowledge that this too is not for everyone. I would suggest that you donā€™t go just with what one dealer recommends. Finding a Vinyl replay system that really works for you is a very personal choice so explore and find what works for you. Good luck in your search.

4 Likes

I agree the p6 was a nice entry point to re discover vinyl. Definitely will try a few other brands. Thanks for the comments.

James Allney at TomTom Audio (in St Albans) has a Xerxes with SME arm for Ā£3,999. Heā€™s a real gent, so would be worth speaking to him in any event, even if this TT is not precisely what you want.

I have used TomTom, off and on, for over 30 years, and I thoroughly recommend them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had my Xerxes for 15 years and can vouch for her performance and I now have her at a pretty high spec. Iā€™ve never heard the Sara tonearm, would be interested to hear your feedback if you had a demo.

2 Likes

When people say Xerxes, I believe thereā€™s old and new edition.
The original Xerxes had sagging issues, not supported.

1 Like

Thatā€™s right, the original Xerxes had sagging issues with the arm board cutout, especially with heavier tonearms.

The Xerxes X (10th anniversary from the original Xerxes) and the Xerxes 20 (20th anniversary from the original Xerxes) have been totally re-engineered and donā€™t have the sagging issues. The current model Xerxes 20Plus is an evolution of the 20 (I think a minor bearing modification and blob suspension change, but I stand to be corrected on that).

1 Like

How about a ClearAudio Concept Wood, Or the Basis Turntables? Thorens, VPIā€¦

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.