New Tv confusion

I have had a 55 Inch LG OLED CX in my study/second system room for the last few years when the CX came out new and have also had no problems with “burn in” on the screen. It has work faultlessly and the picture quality is excellent. Don’t use the sound as this goes via digital out from the TV to my NAD C658 Streamer onto my SN2/HiCap DR as does my digital outs from my Bluray Player and CD Player.

Soz to hijack thread, I’m looking at a new 48-50 inch screen. I’m keen not only on decent image quality but sound quality too, without the need to use soundbar all the time.

I’ve read good things about the Philips 907 range in this regard but also seen some negatives about non 4k pic quality and poor menu/set up issues so am conflicted.

Can go and look at some options somewhere but clearly IQ is bizarre in shop demo modes and SQ tricky on a shop floor.

Anyone got any experience of the Philips?

1 Like

Always had my TV’s from Philips and never disappointed. But remember that only the brand name survived , since 2012 the Chinese company TP Vision is responsable for development and production (for Europe the factory sits in Poland). LG delivers a part of the knowledge for the screens.

Can’t comment on Panasonic, but disagree completely otherwise. Sony are well ahead of LG and Samsung, but expect to pay 10-20% more for the benefit.

Frienf of mine has a Philips 807 55 inch. Excellent picture quality. Both 4K and non-4K. Can’t say anything about SQ,he always uses his home theatre setup.
I nyself had an LG and now a Panasonic. Very pleased with the Panasonic up until now. Had to get rid of the LG because it suffered from serious burn in after moderate use for just 3 years. But all oled panels are manufactured by LG afaik,so have to wait for what the Panasonic does,it’s now just 2 years old. Maybe it’s a hit and miss with oled panels.

1 Like

I believe the same company makes the Sky Glass models.

1 Like

I’m with you - for me the absolute picture quality of the OLED Sony Bravias set up properly and fed with a decent source are second to none. I’m waiting for the 2023 77" to hit the shelves shortly to replace my 2019 65".

Sorry but screen burn just isn’t an issue for OLED. I’ve had a Panasonic OLED for the last 5 years, which is used for gaming & watching programmes with logos in the top corners of the screen (sky sports etc) and have had no issues with burn in at all.

If it’s between OLED and LED, there’s only one winner as far as picture quality is concerned.

1 Like

Screenburn is very much still an issue. Im pleased for you that you haven’t experienced it though. It doesn’t seem to be as rife as it was when oled was new tech but it is still a very real risk, and one that I wouldn’t be happy to take on an expensive tv.

Each to their own. Having owned LED&LCD TV’s in the past, all I can say is you’re missing out.

I have a C6 model which is around 5 years old. Suffers from screen burn and out of warranty, neither LG or Currys can get the parts anymore. Mine was a curved screen model. I’d get another one screen burn has improved and I believe I few stores offer screen burn warranty now in the UK

Both LG & Sony are excellent TV’s and neither are “well ahead” of the other. Let’s not forget that LG make the panels and even after Sony add their ‘special sauce’ by way of processing it still doesn’t make them ‘better’ than LG.
I know you can’t believe all the reviews but they generally agree (although a lot put the LG on top) both are great.

I need to update my TV to go along with my new hifi rack. My current tv is on a stand but the new one needs to be wall mounted and the LG G3 is the front runner. My only concern is the wall mounting as we have plasterboard walls. Does anybody have experience of wall mounting TVs to plasterboard walls? I’d hate for the TV to come down on my LP12.

How big is the telly?

My 42” Sony has a delicate aluminium bracket secured with just 4 screws on a plasterboard wall. Never had an issue.

It seems to me the mounts/brackets for bigger tellys are heavier than the screens, well almost, so try these…

I fixed a couple of heavy items, a mirror and a cabinet, using them and they were great.

2 Likes

It’s a 55” gallery mount TV that has 8 screw points on it’s dedicated bracket. It weighs 17kg so not extremely light.
Appreciate the advice on the brackets.

It depends on wether you have a dot and dab wall where the plasterboard is held off the wall by adhesive or a drywall which is plasterboard and wood.
for fort and dab i have 30 Kg of TV hanging off quite happily and I have used Rigifix fixings, Corefix also work well for Dot and Dab wall.
I have not hung any weight on drywall but would think that a 20KG weight limit would be the most on Drywall. Fischer make good fixings.

2 Likes

Hi @IainW I have just put up the LG77G26, the same fitting/built in bracket, I would be nervous about fixing to plasterboard as the bracket has a relatively small surface area. I got my joiner to open up the wall and put in a couple of timber dwangs for a fixing.
Normally the bracket for a TV has a larger surface area which spreads the load, this is not the case with the TV you are looking at.

1 Like

Adding some extra timber joists/dwangs is a good solution, no worries after the bracket is screwed to these. :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve got a LG Gallery 65”, I’d not rely on the plasterboard alone and you’ll want to use the right fixings, the ones it comes with assume you’re fixing in to something solid like brick or concrete. Mine is hung on a purpose built wall/frame which is wood/mdf and has extra horizontal bracing where the supplied bracket fixes, this extra bracing was birch ply from memory.

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice. It sounds like I will be adding some timber to the wall between the uprights to make it secure. Probably not a job I will tackle in the short term as it means I don’t need to buy a new TV. It’s a lot of effort and expense for a slightly neater solution. I think I’ll spend the £2.5k from the TV on music related items instead.

1 Like