NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

I have to say it surprises me that 15 people would give an upvote to what is really an evasive answer. :wink:

Perhaps you can clarify?

Does this mean that the Atom HE dynamically EQ’s based on the connected headphone, for instance by using a database of known headphones and their optimal response curves?

Or, does it mean that a one size fits all approach is used with a more or less neutral EQ curve, and that you don’t subscribe to the idea that certain headphones require additional EQ?

Or, is this considered to be proprietary information that you cannot tell us any more about? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The ‘best’ route for active might expend what sort of configuration you are considering. Something like Genelec implements bass management and crossovers in the sub, and provides xlr outputs to the mains. Analogue domain unless you go for the DSP versions.

1 Like

The DAC and streaming section are the same as original Atom.

1 Like

I wonder if someone could clarify on the warrantee, some shops/dealers are offering 2 year standard parts and labour warranty included. Additional 3 years on parts upon registration within 28 days of purchase. Does that mean on year 3 onwards that you are going to pay for labour only, or am i reading it wrong ?

Naim’s UK warranty terms are here:

Possibly they were upvoting your attempts at mansplaining, who knows ? :wink:

But seriously- it’s a Naim product, tuned to sound like a Naim product. If people want to use EQ via Roon, that’s an option, but I would urge anyone to just take their favourite headphones and have a demo. And maybe try some different headphones at the same time - the new Focal Clear Mg, for example :grin:

9 Likes

Thanks Clare much appreciated

1 Like

Haha, touchée!

I’m not sure that a man explaining is the same thing as mansplaining, but i’ll concede. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s certainly an interesting option. I’ll do some research on the Genelec subwoofers.

When i registered my NDX2 with Naim this the reply i got from them… “Thanks for registering your Naim product. We are confident your new product will bring you a deeper connection with your music and that you will be listening to even more music than ever before. In the unlikely event that something does go wrong, you are now covered by a five-year extended parts warranty.”*

Date of registration: 7 March 2021… Parts only ? No mention of labour, I think there’s a bit of confusion and contradiction here.

IIRC the UK extended warranty has always been referred to as the “extended parts warranty”. However, Naim revisited it some months back and so the current terms apply as found on the website (and as per my link above).

However, I agree that it’s probably now time to drop the “parts” from the title as it may be confusing.

Thank you, i’ll take your version as gospel.

No “version” - it’s all there in print on the website.

I think most people (myself included) don’t subscribe to that. Different headphones have different characters. That’s all there is to it. The EQ you mention sounds an awful lot like an attemp to fix defects as perceived by the listener. I feel that if a headphone doesn’t sound right without EQ, then something’s wrong with it. And after all, there are plenty of analogue only headphone amps out there, many in the >$10k bracket and they don’t provide EQ either. Like speakers, you pick amp and headphones that compliment each other to your subjective preference.

2 Likes

EQ Like good old days:)

11 Likes

TDA1541 I hope?

Yes i understand your point. I was mainly referring to the comparison video where the (i believe popular) headphone reviewer mentioned that the LCD-X really benefits from some specific EQ to better match the Harman curve. You might not agree with his assessment, but that’s why sound is subjective obviously.

What would be wrong with fixing defects as perceived by the listener? Your Luxman amp has tone controls for this too right?

Since headphones are really direct and close to the ears, it can also be that for instance age-related adjustments might be desirable for some people.

Every D/A implementation has some form of EQ curve obviously, and i assume the Atom uses it’s Sharc DSP for this.

It’s just a question of whether you want to give the end user any type of control over the sound or not. It would be quite simple for Naim to provide this i guess, and i’m sure that no end user would complain about having those controls.

People can fall back on Roon for EQ options (in case they use Roon), but an implementation in hardware would ofcourse be preferrable since it’s available for all users.

However Naim has explained why they choose not to do this, in this and in other threads, so that’s their decision and that’s fine too.

2 Likes

Well I think the LCD-X sound great as is personally . With the right amp.
I don’t think I’ve ever used tone controls to be honest except for problematic analogue material. That Luxman is my end game headphone amp. It has synergy with my HD-800’s in a way my HL2/HCdr just doesn’t. It is my “complementary match to my subjective preference” if you will.

And most headphone amps don’t even provide tone controls. Considering many sources may be analogue, any digital domain EQ is going to be useless (or at least significantly complicated and expensive) for vinyl users. So this really is the crux of the answer to your question, what’s wrong with fixing defects as perceived by the listener?

Answer: Why waste time and money on something you feel is defective? And can you even do it in the first place? (re analogue sources).

I thought the LCD-X were great (if painful). The reviewer, didn’t (in their unaltered form). I’d have left it there and said I didn’t like them and given them a bad review if it was me but with their ears.

Luckily though, there are products out there for people who do subscribe to EQ approach. The Atom HE (along with a lot of other products) almost certainly isn’t for them. But Naim can’t (and no brand should try) be all things to all people.

Agreed.

A source ~> headphone pairing is like finding the right suit. You can see a tailor and audition all sorts of fabrics, price points but essentially you rely on both your own judgement and that is the sales person to point you in the right direction. EQ is like buying a suit off the rack and then having adjustments made. It may work out. You may be happy. Or not. However, it is best to get it right the first time around.

Looking at the specifications I have little doubt the Sennheiser HD800S will drive perfectly fine out of the unit. I very much doubt a Susvara would be driven to full potential.

I will find out Monday when I take delivery. Between the HD800S, Focal Utopia and Oreolus Trailli IEM (and also whatever else the store has - will likely try the LCD4 as well) I’ll soon find out how it compares.

I have high hopes. The store owners rated their pre-release unit very highly. Though I couldn’t quite tease out of them how it compares to the next price point up (eg. Mytek Manhattan)

Seriously Ardbeg? The TDA 1541 is ancient history now, and a DAC chip that had a bit of a rocky start before coming good with the 1541A and better still with the specially selected crown versions, of which Naim did their own special selection for use within the first Naim CD player, the CDS, then the CDI, CD2, and finally the CD3.

2 Likes