NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Well for what it is worth, already contacted my local dealer. Getting some stock in June I believe. Then I am going to try this puppy out!

2 Likes

I think it is “digitally controlled”, without a potentiometer, but in the analogue domain nevertheless. From this link: https://www.qobuz.com/lu-fr/info/hi-fi%2Fbancs-d-essai%2Fnaim-dac-v1-preparez-vous-a-rouler174193 and after Google Translate:

To be honest, I was a little while wondering what these four Analog Devices ADG1208 integrated circuits (analog multiplexers, located in the left part of the photo) were doing in this DAC-V1 near the floor of pre-amplification …

Yes, but it is of course … the volume control! And it is a luxury solution (although a relay version is even superior to it, but also in cost) which is called “volume control by switching resistors” and which offers identical attenuations on each channel (at one-thirtieth), which the best of stereo potentiometers cannot. The switching command is carried out by counting or counting the pulses generated by the optical encoder which makes it possible to adjust the volume.

The Naim Statement of course works only in the analogue domain and features a similar (but more advanced) logic in the volume control:

The class-A preamplifier also features vertical layout and disconnects unused inputs to lower the noise floor. It has a unique dual-action volume control: volume is established by a resistor divider; however, this is only when the volume is set; when the volume control is turned, reed relays disconnect the resistor ladder and the new level is set by a Cirrus Logic volume-control chip; as soon as the volume control is released, the Cirrus chip is disconnected and the better-sounding resistor ladder immediately assumes the new setting. I tried this out and could not detect any glitches that might result from this process. It was seamless.

Pure “digital” volume control affects the digital signal before the DAC conversion and as far as I know is not bit-perfect and has pretty poor performance in most implementations. So I tend to believe that also in Uniti the volume control remains in the analogue domain.

2 Likes

@charlesphoto All Uniti based products have analogue domain volume controls, but the attenuation value wanted is controlled by a cpu. This gives the best of both worlds that modern services that assume ‘digital volume’ work as intended, while the DAC’s full resolution is used

6 Likes

Ah, I missed the ‘analog’ bit of this description from the website: * Naim Audio digitally controlled analogue volume control for performance and precision 40bit SHARC DSP chip handling filtering and oversampling*

Makes sense now. The V1 volume control is really a thing of beauty if no one has tried before vs other truly digital options (such as the Matrix mini-iPro 3 in my office which is great in every other aspect except it’s physical volume control).

Thank you sihctr and Clare, you both beat me to it.

The volume control on all the Uniti range including the HE is digitally controlled analogue*. Perfect for maintaining digital resolution, fly by wire control, precise level control and channel balance.

This way the digital signal is kept at full resolution in the DSP/DAC and as the volume is turned down, signal, noise and distortion all get reduced in the analogue domain as the volume is reduced.

*Full analogue volume control:
In Uniti there’s a smart simplification of the analogue signal path. Instead of a full 100dB analogue volume range it seamlessly changes to digital volume at very very low volume levels. 1/3 of the analogue volume control is removed. This simplifies the signal path and make the ‘normal’ listening range sound better. Once this low level is reached the DSP additionally assists in volume. Summary: pure analogue volume for all normal listening levels. Simplification of analogue volume with DSP assistance for fading the volume into the noise floor.

10 Likes

How does this compare with the implementation in the NAIT 5?

Very different. Nait 5 (from year 2000) was a CMOS chip virtual earth running from a single rail.

Uniti is a derivative from the Statement pre-amp volume control research work. Statement has a switched fine and course analogue ladder. The ladders are totally unique in that they maintain a constant input and output impedance irrespective of level. This way the frequency response and all compensation, sound tuning etc remain spot on for all levels. It is Statement after all.

Statement uses reed relays for switching the levels and has full range in analogue. Uniti use CMOS switches in buffered voltage mode and DSP assist for low levels (think about the same level as tape hiss, so very quiet levels)

11 Likes

Can the Atom HE be used as just a source? This would be into my Nait XS2.
I’m guessing you’d just set the volume control to max? Or, will there be an option to set the output directly to line out level?

Thanks! Jim

4 Likes

It would have been nicer to have a din output

1 Like

Original Atom does not have a DIN output, plus XLR is much better suited for headphone use!

1 Like

Oh no I was happy with my Nova and Atom. Using the Atom with headphones and now this!
Listening wiih B&W PX 7 headphones.
I guess I am going to have to have a look at this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a short add-on to the question of app/phone/tablet:
You will need (at least) one such devices (Android or iOS) to setup the Uniti (or new streamer or Muso). Once setup, a few things can be controlled from the front-panel or the physical remote: start/stop, selecting input, and selecting a few “favorites” (e.g. (internet) radio channels), setting the volume.
I use the remote frequently (e.g. in home office) since it’s way faster to press “pause/standby” on a physical remote, than getting out the phone, unlocking it, opening the app (or widget), waiting for it to connect, and press “pause”.

Still, for using the full feature set (configurations, selecting music from streaming sources, searching via text input, browsing any library of music, …) you need either the Naim app (on one such device) or another “source” streaming audio to the Uniti. Could be a Roon server, a UPnP controller, or an AirPlay/Chromecast source (like a PC/Mac).
If there’s multiple people around (or you have multiple devices) and they connect to your home network (WiFi), all of them can control the unit. So, in typical modern families (*) where everybody has 1+ devices, you don’t need any “extra” devices and everybody can control the Uniti. (I hope you don’t start a fight about what to hear… :wink: )
If there’s none in your home at all, you will most likely need one.

(*) I hope I don’t overgeneralize and assuming children are of a certain age.

1 Like

This is like my new NDX2 but dedicated for headphones, I would love to know how this would sound against the Focal Arche. I have the Utopia headphones and sounds great with the Arche so I’m wondering what it would sound like with this. The difference here is that this plays music from usb stick or a hard drive and internet radio and more.

1 Like

Ndx2 has a bit different DAC.

But principally and basically the same in what it does …yes ?

Focal Arche is a dedicated headphone amp with included DAC?

Then the Atom HE is like a NDX2+Arche in 1 box, minus one of the DACs (which both have included).
Like when connecting the NDX2-digital out to Arche.
(Plus the option, to add active speakers, but without the digital-out option, … - so combining Atom HE + Arche does not make sense to me, as I understand the Arche (on a very short glance).)

That’s functionality; difference in sound quality would be up to (individual) comparison.

Frankly, they’d be crazy not to offer a matching amp - ideally a dual mono design with XLR inputs.

2 Likes

Yes. However, the DAC chip in NDX2 should perform much better. I haven’t had an audition - just compared the specs of both chips.

Have a look at the What Hifi website, the Atom HE has been reviewed there already. :+1:t2:

The new MacBooks with a M1 chip will also control the Naim App

3 Likes