NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Naim made a disastrous attempt to move away from pdf manuals and replace them with an online ‘support’ thing accessed from the product web page. It’s a complete dog’s dinner with loads of omissions and a useless search function.
There was a glimmer of hope when the new NAIT amps appeared with proper pdf manuals but not the Unitis. I believe there is a new web support thing in development. Lets hope they get it right this time.

4 Likes

I think the feeling is that with network players and all-in-ones where things can be changed and improved regularly with firmware updates, a paper manual beyond a basic start-up guide falls out of date too quickly. The new Help Centre can be updated quickly and stay up to date.

Personally I like a paper manual, but I do appreciate the difficulty with such a thing for these network devices.

I don’t think Naim should still be producing paper manuals at all to be honest, I think people have enough internet access these days to get hold of a pdf.
I’d be perfectly happy with an online resource as long as it covers everything you need. I don’t actually see this as a reason to abandon pdf, as even I can edit and add to a document with my rudimentary IT skills.

3 Likes

That makes sense I hadn’t thought of that aspect. I was convinced it was just about saving money.

1 Like

I have noticed that if you wave your hand in front of the display (no physical contact) it goes from album cover display to information display. Is this a new feature ?

Nope, nothing new there. There is a motion sensor on the front panel.

1 Like

My dealer suggested to have the display turn off automatically via the setting to extend the lifetime of the LCD. So on my Star doing a Jedi mind trick hand wave turns the display on instead.

1 Like

A suitable feature on the displays (Uniti, NDX2/555) would be for user choice on how long (or fixed) the displays stay on and with what information (now-playing, clock etc).
Also there is a lack of commonality of information visible in the Naim app, and on the display, e.g. wireless network ID, bit&sample rate.

Any view yet on how the Atom HE compares with the NDX2 ?

The dac chip is the same as in nd5xs2. So, ndx2 has better dac. The streaming platform is the same.

Worth pointing out that the DAC chip and the streaming subsystem are only part of the overall design.
If you compare the internals of the three current ND products for example, you’ll get a feel of what is common and what is distinctly different between the ND5 XS2, NDX2 and ND555.
Reducing noise and interference is where the extra cost comes from as well as putting as much space between the AC and DC signals powering the circuits.
Increasing degrees of integration come with a level of compromise and expectations for material costs and selling price.
There’s a reason why some owners of Uniti products love them and stick with them over an extended window of ownership whilst others end up replacing them within a few years with either a NAIT and an ND streamer or a NAC + NAP.

The white paper below gives an insight in to the ND555 and the NP800 Streaming subsystem.

4 Likes

One can set the display to be always on.

I’m happy happy with the display turning off quick as I am rarely close enough to my Star for it to be truly helpful.

With the Atom HE this may be different th ouch.

May I know what converter you are using. I am interested to get this to replace DAC-V1 that is connected to my computer.

@mech you can find it a bit further up in the thread:

1 Like

I would seriously consider getting a Topping D10 for this purpose.

1 Like

That would arguably be a lot better quality yes!

The Behringer uc202 is really a budget solution, for high res audio and the best sound quality a better converter such as a Topping would be advisable.

Decided to pull the trigger and get one, but looks like I was too late to the party!
Sold out everywhere I’ve looked :frowning:

Being told 3 to 4 weeks wait atm for restocks.
Looks like I’ll need to pre-order one :wink:

2 Likes

Bad news for you, good news for Naim.

Yes, we’ve been deluged with demand, as well as with rain, here in Salisbury :slight_smile:

Plenty more being made, but there are a LOT of orders in - maybe a couple of months before there’s any ‘free’ stock if your dealer doesn’t get an order in.

10 Likes

Congratulations, that’s a great problem to have.

1 Like