New vs old

I suppose the title may not help by starting with “What are you listening to” ? This section on the forum certainly seems to be getting a lot more posts these days and I must admit if you go a few days without looking it takes a lot of scrolling through to catch up.
I think with some people on here having been listening to music for many years they feel that it’s boring to see some of the more popular stuff being repeatedly posted but you can just scroll on past as mentioned by others.
Maybe there are a few younger people on this forum that don’t know of some of what we consider older popular and obvious albums. I bought the latest Dire Straits albums that came out on MoFi recently and when I started to play one of them my son said they sound good dad who are they? He’s 21 yrs old.
Sometimes I see an older album with numerous likes and yet I’ve never heard of the album or band.

1 Like

So true, Señor Danger, but it seems that, sadly, some folk’s default setting appears to be "Grumpy"

5 Likes

Grumpy or voicing their thoughts I’m easy either way.
It’s people with poor eyesight that I feel for when their request for the artist and album to be typed so that they can read it is ignored. That must be really frustrating and I can fully understand if they get grumpy.

1 Like

Trouble is sometimes I really like an album or artist but struggle to explain why😁

Totally agree with you there, it’s not exactly hard work to post the album info, together with a wee spiel about why it might interest other folks.

Otherwise, it seems that the mere fact that important old me is listening to an album, is more than sufficient reason for you lesser mortals to benefit from my impeccable musical taste. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

It’s nice to read that you understand what I was trying to get at. It’s nothing about being grumpy but about trying to spread our mutual (presumably) love of music. One of the problems of social media is that as well as nastiness it encourages laziness. An emoticon in place of considered words, or a simple picture when an explanation and context would be so much more valuable.

1 Like

I am over 70 and love discovering music new to me. I also love listening to music from many different genres, opera to blues, classical to jazz. Some areas such as heavy rock and rap I do not enjoy, but I am always willing to give a recommendation a try out.
My favourite albums tend to be ones I have discovered in the last year or so.

1 Like

The WAYLTAYMABI thread is my favorite thread. I have discovered a ton of new artists and styles of music that I was not listening to.

I do agree that people should list the artist name and name of the album by typing above or below the album. We have members who have stated that they are visually impaired and their software they use to read a thread cannot identify an album. So if for no other reason take the time to identify the picture you post. …and some of the albums that do have print is so small an old duff like me cannot read it even when I upsize it.

Love the thread and keep posting what ever the heck your playing!

6 Likes

My favourites are a selection mainly dating back to late 60s through to early 80s (for non-classical/opera that is), usually plus for a while whatever may be my latest acquisition.

1 Like

As someone who posts mostly ‘familiar’ artists I fully understand HH’s view here, but as a CD collector that is what I have and that is what I am listening to. I try to give a reason why it might be of interest but at the least (usually) I post accurate disc info = Artist - Title - year - label - country - type of cd edition - catalogue number. More often than not I also take a mobile picture (my rug has appeared as a background many times here!) which is proving a useful picture archive. Nice to see others here also taking and providing LP pictures (and even their labels too).

I am not saying everyone has to do this - it can be time consuming, but the little effort it takes me is fine.

I get most of my new music from friends, family (son and daughter) the radio, YouTube and here!
There is an excitement in recommending new music to others, sharing something great that you have found that can sometimes have a significant impact on them. Sometimes in life people focus on the things that they don’t like, here we are telling others what we do like and that is a good thing to share.

1 Like

Perhaps a parallel thread could be opened, like a title as “ which new albums have you discovered and why you like them “.
It can be a discover on Bandcamp, Qobuz or Tidal…or an album you have downloaded.
So all the Dire Straits, Hendrix, Beatles, Floyd …should not appear on that thread. Only recent albums.

PS: however I have a lot of dire Straits, Floyd and Hendrix, but listen to them not often today. I prefer to discover new artists.

Perhaps some of those who have repeatedly posted the same albums, have gone through different upgrades in their system. Listening to it afresh with veils lifted.
Isn’t that the Naim mandate. Allowing one to discover new music, but also to discover more music within your collection.

2 Likes

On the subject of New and Old, I can relate to that in terms of the listener. I like to play old favourites to my 1 and 3 year old children and see their reaction. We had a good jump around in the kitchen the other night to Depeche Mode - Just Can’t Get Enough as one example. They’d never heard it before (pretty sure of that) and both loved it!
I think we all have go to albums we reach for out of familiarity but I found that Roon Radio was a nice way to hear music in context to you starting the journey with a specific choice you made and it then taking you off to find new things.
Sharing what we like is a positive thing, the fact a lot of folks like the same thing is just a testament to the talent of the recording artist or the mastering.

But what would constitute “new”? Released in the last year, two years, five years, this century?

Whatever you choose, it would exclude albums which are new discoveries to me and other forum members. For instance, I do have a lot of Hendrix albums (although I don’t play his albums these days), but recently I saw someone had posted his ‘Blues’ album, which I sought out and bought. It’s obviously not new material, nor is it that recently released, but it is new to me and I rather like it, so thanks for posting.

As I’ve said before (above) with regards to the WAYLTAWMABI thread, if you don’t like it when someone keeps posting the same thing or posts albums from the past, so what? It may stimulate a new discovery for someone else. Otherwise you can just scroll past, and there’s always the option to skip to the end of the thread.

1 Like

I’m sure you are right. It would just be nice if people could say a little rather than posting endless streams of covers. A while ago someone simply posted a picture of DSOTM and wrote ‘no need to say any more’. What f… use is that? They could at least say ‘I have so little imagination that I’m playing this yet again’.

I do agree with your sentiments, but myself and others could feel it contrived to add further authorship over some of the classics. Perhaps there is an unsaid language going on that’s communicated.

I bet they’d love Little Jimmy Osmond just as much if not more than Depeche Mode.

I have been mulling over how to write a comment, partly because when the thread was opened my feelings were up there in lights, now, I equally I agree with many of the others. We are all different and tastes are shared, we learn from others both in the positive and negative. My son’s tastes were so different and much of what he listened to I cannot enjoy. My daughter’s music collection is like a small mirror of mine.
By looking at others posts you can learn their tastes, last century I felt like that with hifi magazines, if Ken Kessler said listen to this I found I liked it. The same here, there are half a dozen whose judgement I will follow.
Just like the Poundland part of the CD thread, I have found much new music, therefore tend to ignore the repeat postings. Certainly I would say age is no barrier. When talking to dearly beloved on a similar topic, her response “It’s their loss”. That is not a derogatory comment about those posters, some people’s worlds are smaller than others, comfort zones might form barriers. Perhaps rather than New vs Old, variety is the spice of life and those that post recently discovered just have to hope they are adding to that variety?

People don’t have little imagination because they are playing something more than once, they are just enjoying it again. However, I agree a comment about what they enjoyed or noticed about it this time would be useful. You recently mentioned ETBG, who I am I big fan of and I was actually surprised to see your choice given your usual posts in the thread. Obviously in this case I am pleased we like the same, but you like punk and I don’t and I like prog and you don’t! We make our own choices and if you get something out of a piece of music and I don’t, then why should I be concerned!

1 Like

I tend to agree. I like to use this to find music that is new to me (though it may not be ‘new’ in an absolute sense. Some clue as to what sort of music it is would be nice - genre (loosely) perhaps for instance. There are some genres that I really don’t get (or like), and it would be helpful to know what sort of music it is.