Next Best Upgrade

I have just purchased a new NAC 282 to replace my vintage 1990 NAC 72 preamp. So that I can continue to use my Linn LP12, I’ve also needed to buy a new Stageline phono stage. Neither item has arrived and been installed as yet.

My concern is that my olive HiCap and Olive NAP 250 (both recapped - again - in 2022) might not be up to the task of the newly arriving kit. Questions:

Can my existing HiCap drive the 282 and Stageline optimally or will I need/benefit from a new power supply?

What would be my best next upgrade, a better Naim power supply, a NAP 250 DR or something else? (A NAP DR 300 would be fun but is out of my budget).

For info, I also have an old olive NAPST power supply sitting around but I’m not sure if it can be used to power anything other than my non-working NAT 01 FM Tuner.

Any answers or input greatly appreciated.

Get settled with the 282 before worrying about further upgrades. What’s the configuration of the LP12? Presumably that’s the primary source.

3 Likes

For music my primary source is the CD5i. At present the LP12 is original 1980’s and is frankly, a bit of an embarrassment in its current condition. But that’s a whole different kettle of fish and I’ll be tackling that over the next year or so.

I guess I want to get my amplification and switching right while I’ve got access to some well priced new - but superceded - Naim gear.

I had a 72/hi/250. I upgraded to a 52 a few years ago which came with a supercap. So i now have a 52/sc/250, I feel no need to change the 250 at the moment. If / when I move to more demanding speakers I might upgrade, but if I did it would not be to another 250 level device as I dont think it would be a big enough upgrade (for me).

I havent owned an 282, but if I recall correctly it can be powered by a hicap, a pair of hicaps or a supercap.

For me it depends on where you want to go to in the naim heirarchy. A 282/hi/250 is a cracking system and Id be tempted to stay where you are for a long time. But you might want to get all the boxes asthetically the same style.

If your speakers would really benefit from more power, I think i would be saving up for a 300 or 500. If you want to be heading towards a 252, a supercap may be beneficial. But as a said earlier, I’d be tempted to just enjoy the music for now.

3 Likes

The first upgrade would be a hicap dr for the 282 if the olive can power the phono stage. I am running a 252 scdr into a classic 250 and it sounds good. I dont think there is great difference in sq between an olive 250 and the classic 250.
I would wait for a while and enjoy the 282. If you decide to upgrade the amp I would go to a 300dr. If its just for a visual match then go for a 250dr.

1 Like

Your Hicap can power the 282 happily. You connect the Stageline to the 282, so the hicap ends up powering that as well.

A Hicap DR is better, but as you had it serviced in 2022 I’d be looking elsewhere. I guess you are committed to the 282, but it’s worth remembering that an 82 sounds virtually the same, and would of course match your Hicap and 250. The elsewhere is your sources: if CD is your main source that’s where I’d be looking. The CD5i is quite crude and will be way out of its depth with a 282/250. You want a very good CD player to front it, or now may be right time to consider streaming, ripping your CDs to storage and keeping the CD5i for occasional use if you feel the need.

2 Likes

If I were in your shoes, I’d just stick to the plan and see how it all sounds after the LP12 has been serviced. Once everything has bedded in you can then experiment with what the other changes might bring.

1 Like

Just enjoy the 282 for a while once it arrives and see when the upgrade bug bites again.

If you also want to get your LP12 back up to spec, that’s probably where you would and should be spending at that point. Otherwise, the best upgrade you can do, is more music!

1 Like

I used a 252 with an olive 250 for years into a pair of IBL’s without issue. IIRC I used it initially with an olive Hi-Cap and later a Supercap.

Good as the CD5i is it doesn’t belong in a system like this. Curiously since Naim have stopped making any more up-market CD players the CD5si seems to turn up in quite a few systems that years ago would have demanded a CDX2 or better.

If records are important to you then sorting out your LP12 should be a priority so that you have a source up to the job. If not then I suggest you investigate streaming solutions, possibly selling your CD5si and LP12 to fund that.

1 Like

The NAPST can only power the NAT01. It would be well worth checking whether Naim can get it going again, as although some key parts are no longer available, they can otherwise still service the old analogue tuners. If not, there’s still a fair bit of value there if you choose to sell on, as parts to keep other NATs going.

I can appreciate the decision to take advantage of a good price on new but superseded kit, but once you have the NAC282 in place it will be asking questions of your LP12 and CD5i, so with CD being your primary source, you may well feel the need to upgrade there much sooner than you think.

3 Likes

PS. I appreciate what you say about wanting to buy the 282 whilst it’s still around and at a good price. But really it just doesn’t make sense in the context of your sources. You have a clapped out LP12 and an entry-level Naim CD player. It would have made far more sense to have kept your 72, a really lovely pre, have it serviced maybe, and spent the money addressing your sources first. No great pressure to replace the 72.

If I were you I would very seriously consider cancelling the 282, which you haven’t even had delivered yet, and use the money far more effectively.

2 Likes

I would just get used to the 282 etc. and see what you think if anything is needed.

The Olive hicap and NAP250 are good bits of kit and since they are serviced they should be up to the task.

I would say the NAP250 between yours and the NAP250 DR was not as good as the Olive.

Eventually, you may wish to go for DR versions of both hicap and 250 but unless you are not enjoying them I would stick with what you have.

3 Likes

@Alexo hi,

Well done on the 282, fantastic pre and will serve as a great hub of any system, and the Stageline is an excellent phonostage particularly when powered by the 282. The olive HC will be fine but in time if you can find a SC HR that’s a brilliant upgrade. As a matter of interest what cartridge do you have on the LP12?

Best regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Clapped out LP12 - a bit harsh! :grinning: But I take your points. The LP12 is due a Lingo and new cartridge for starters and will be going in for this and possibly a new main bearing, shortly. One of the reasons I’m replacing my 33 year old NAC 72 is that I’ve only been able to source used K boards for the phono section and they don’t sound too convincing. The 282 and Stageline K should at least fix that problem.

2 Likes

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek there - but you know what I mean. I understand your plan and it’s fair enough. I think as Richard said though that once you have the 282 in place you’ll really feel the need to have better sources as soon as possible. They arguably weren’t up to the job with the 72, but the 282 is something else again. There’s nowhere for a below par source to hide so you’ll hear quite clearly what’s lacking.

2 Likes

@HungryHalibut Thanks for your comments, although I think I’ll be sticking to CD and LP12 for now for primary music sources. Perhaps HD ripping/streaming might be in my future. I say HD as I’ve been sourcing casual listening music via streaming Apple Music, Apple Classical and YouTube).

Any recommendations on good all-in-one-box CD players that would do my system justice? (I’m running out of room for separate transport and DAC solutions I think).

@PJL Thanks once again for your comments and also to others who replied. I’m committed to the 282/Stageline combo at this stage and am sorely tempted by a SuperCap DR to drive it all, perhaps leaving the olive HiCap to power the Stageline. As I’ve mentioned the LP12 will shortly be getting some attention and I’m now on the hunt for a suitable one box CD player to replace and upgrade my ageing CD5i.

2 Likes

Depending on your budget have a look at the Marantz CD/SACD players.

2 Likes

The Teac VRDS-701 is supposed to be quite good.

1 Like