Next Upgrade? 135 to 500?

Best wishes - I too hope the news is good. Also well done on keeping a sense of perspective.

52, Radikal and paise for reflection?

2 Likes

Fingers crossed Dan all the best.

2 Likes

I think it’s a case of getting one or two upgrades and enjoying them. I like the idea of a 52 and Radikal.

1 Like

I’ve got speakers which I am happy with Focal 936 Arias. There are better speakers but I wouldn’t go for SBLs. Would consider other makes but probably more modern speakers than SBLs. Kudos Titans or B & W or ATCs spring to mind. Speakers would be done after amplification upgrades I think as I am quite happy at moment.

Other thing is while the NDS has excellent sound quality it won’t work with Qubos and hasn’t worked with Tidal for me.

It’s alright at moment but isnt ticking all the boxes as a streamer.

1 Like

Seeing those promotional photos with the NAP500’s casework open always reminded me of those lovely old gull wing Mercedes sports cars.

2 Likes

Second-hand prices are getting better on NDX2 +XPSDR. I’d probably do that and Radikal before 500, but getting Tidal built into any box(es) that won’t disappoint an NDS owner is never going to be cheap.

Unless Tidal is critical, I’d get the 52 before any of them, but others may disagree.

Spending other people’s money is easy…

2 Likes

As I no longer have power amps, not much to say here, other than hope the scans show you are ok.
Best wishes, Al

1 Like

Thanks BigAl. 18th is the date for consultants so will see what happens. Love the 135s and 82 Supercap 2. Feel that its time for a change. 52 and 500 seem like a good move forward.

I have my set up going to second set of speakers in Conservatory so powered ATC actives although attractive isn’t an option.

I can live with NDS and 555PS. It’s a good compromise at moment.

Come July I will make some decisions. A well priced 52 would be top of list.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Karousel! The New Radikal2 with Karousel is fan flipping tastic

1 Like

Yes do that, Dan.

That’s what I did.

Even if you end up getting a 552 one day, the 52 is a marvellous thing in itself, and not to be missed.

2 Likes

The problem may be getting one, Dan.

I don’t see many around these days.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear this, Dan.

You are a great member of the forum.

A real hifi lover.

I always enjoy reading your posts.

All the best
Jim

1 Like

@Dan_M - Dan best of luck. Always enjoy your posts, your a true gentleman
Re the upgrade.
My system 2 yrs ago:
Olive top of line cds2/52/135s and 01 tuner into Kudos Titan T88. In a very large room with high ceiling.
This was a wonderful system.
Current system: nd555/555drps/552dr/500dr
The order of adding the 500 series was

1. 552
    3.ND555
    IMHO the most significant upgrade was adding the streamer. And my ND555 replaced an NDX2 which was already attached to a 555drps. That’s how good the ND555 is !
    Now this could be related to the order in which I upgraded but not sure.
    Sure seems like source first still rules.
    It’s a shame that I have been without my ND555 since it is in Montreal with Focal-Naim awaiting repair of a bad din relay😥
    My 2 cents, David
2 Likes

:see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

/NDX2 555PSDR user

3 Likes

I’d close your eyes, ears and wallets if I was you! And delete your account.

1 Like

A reasonable person on a hifi forum !?

3 Likes

Hope all goes well for you @Dan_M

1 Like

Dan, unless you hope to source a 52 locally, I would suggest getting in touch with James at TomTom.

When I bought my 135’s in 2005, they were not on his website. It was something akin to “if you get 135’s in” and “as it happens”.

There are fewer 52’s around than 500’s I think, so it may be worth putting some feelers out with established dealers as a precursor.

2 Likes