Next Upgrade? 135 to 500?

And the 52 originally went with the 500. So could be great combo.

2 Likes

Olive and non dr black will be no problem.
I meant the DR models.
Supercap and XPs should be better - I read somewhere that the xps2 is better and a perfec5 match to cds or cdx :slight_smile:

By the way - I use an olive XPs on nDAC :slight_smile: also mixed

1 Like

That looks dead right.

Personally I wouldn’t take a non/DR 300 over 135s (if my not-wonderful auditory memory can be believed), but the 300DR has enough extra grip and space to make it worth the effort.

Opinions differ on 52 with original PS versus olive SC versus SCDR, but I have yet to hear a 52 that didn’t impress

However, as said above, there is a reason the 500 was originally demmed with 52. That would be an even better combo (unless the 500 needs a service badly and can’t get one).

4 Likes

I think you’re spot on Nick and a 52 is definitely now in the Fraim for me!

Will ponder on a 500.

One step at a time. I am in no rush. Have considered a 52 and 552. I think I have to try the 52 and see where the rabbit goes…

3 Likes

Maybe good to know whats your full system Drago?

1 Like

Here it is:

• nd5xs2 (fed by hdx as server) / nDAC / XPs olive (looking for 555ps)
  • phonosophie no3 TT with naim PS and build in prefix / SC on prefix
  • 52/SC/135 into SBL

Serviced between 2017 (XPs) and 2022.
All fully fraimed

Lovely :o)

I waited (undecided and with doubts) too long… the 500 is sold.
But… it is all good for something.
Do not go for it, if there are any doubts :o)

Thanks again for your help here!

Ps: 135 sounds soooooo gooood!

4 Likes

I’ve said it before, for £8-9k I think a 52/500 would be a very special amplifier and difficult to beat at that price.

Throw in an NDS/XPS and it’s going to be a seriously good system for similar money to a 222/250.

I’m pretty sure I know where my money would go anyway…

1 Like

I could be very very happy with a 52 500 combination. I have a 555PS for the NDS and a CDS2 with XPS2 and an LP12 Akurate level turntable (of sorts but may go Radikal).

The upgrade will be a compromise as I want a 552 DR and 500DR. However having a massive upgrade with a 52 and 500 will give me a lot of satisfaction.

I will see what happens when the pension lump sum comes in July this year and see how work goes.

I am a self employed builder and things have been fairly good. I am looking to take a slight step back. I had a diagnosis of bowel cancer in October and continued to work my ass off despite going through an operation and then Chemotherapy combined with Radiotherapy. This is first time I have come out on forum with my Cancer diagnosis.

I get results of scans I had last week on 18th of this month. Hopefully all clear!

21 Likes

Good luck with the results and best wishes. Must be a really tough time and all credit to you for working through it.

A 552DR/500DR is going to be almost 3x the cost of a 52/500. At the end of the day it comes down to personal priorities but either is going to be sublime in its own right

5 Likes

All the best to your health, Dan! When it comes to this kind of situation, everything else is much less priority.
I work for a pharmaceutical company, producing and bringing oncology products (chemotherapy) to the market. Keep up, the results from the scan will be fine. Crossing all fingers.
All the best and thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

Best wishes on good results on your last scans! :pray: I went through cancer, chemo and surgery 6 years ago and everything went great even though I thought it mentally was a bigger fight then physically. But all scans and blood analysis was scary. Hail to all research being made and everyone giving away their money for research. It does save lives. Treat yourself with some great hardware and music celebrating what you have managed to go through :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks all of you. This forum provides a happy escape from the sometimes harsh realities of lifetime dramas! I am fairly confident that the treatments have been successful. But you never know! Keeping my chin up and pressing on.

9 Likes

A 52 and 500 sounds right. I’ve seen a few 500DRs for £11k. Will see what happens. I have debts to pay with the lump sum and need to do some work on my home. I may just go for a 52 and Radikal for the LP12 and then save up for the 500 and 552 in due course.

What I do know is that the money I have spent on Naim Stereo and my Linn LP12 has given me so much enjoyment of the music that I love.

6 Likes

An alternative could also be non-DR 552/500 as I use instead of 52 and 500DR. @Igel who have experience with all these boxes told me it’s better to stay with 82 and save up for 552 skipping 52. As much as I love my 552 the 500 is also eye candy since it’s so big and special in the world of naim boxes :slight_smile: Never get tired of looking at it.

8 Likes

It’s defo a looker. I would be crazy enough to buy it just to open the wing doors and close it again.

3 Likes

So maybe the option is to get a 500 and stay as is with the 82? I like the sound of that too.

I will see what comes up. I will see what is out there and what deal can be done. I have 2 lovely CB serviced 135s to part exchange.

1 Like

Please - do not show me as I have lost today because of doubting :slight_smile:
@Dan_M : please try a 52 - a so wonderful amp and so lovely with 135!

3 Likes

I always wanted a 52. So 52 with 500 will be absolutely awesome. Loving the idea! And I want a Radikal for my LP12 to replace the Lingo 1. This will be amazing.

Knowing me I will get a 552DR and 500DR and say sod it to paying the bills! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yes, and 135s certainly don’t stop the music from happening, especially if the SBLs are your end-game loudspeaker.
A 500 maybe better but here lies the gateway to more spending elsewhere in the system… :crazy_face:

4 Likes