Nice Photos

Thank you for the kind acknowledgement.

Took my daughter (and a car full of gear) to Uni today. Mixed emotions for all of us but a beautiful day and not the worst place to spend the next few years of your life!

12 Likes

Is that Oxford?

Cambridge.

2 Likes

A friend sent me this. Astonishing blue sky

7 Likes

And congrats to your gal.

1 Like

Photographed during blue hour I suspect

White balance for the artificially lit monument, maybe.

3 Likes

10 Likes

I have revisited images I took during a wonderful holiday we had in the USA, in September 2007. Since then I believe both Photoshop, & my ability to use it, have improved considerably.

Here are some taken in New York. The Hyatt Hotel shot is included because that’s where we stayed, right in-between the Chrysler Building on one side & Grand Central Station on the other.

For those interested, camera used was a Nikon D200.

I will post twice more to include the photos I had intended to post with this message before I found the 5 shots per post limit.

18 Likes

11 Likes

14 Likes

4 Likes

I will always think of the Met Life building as the Pan Am building…as it was my entire life in NYC.

Great NYC pics!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I’m old enough to remember when it was portrayed as a glamorous location in 1960’s feature films & was often shown with helicopters landing on the roof. The height of sophistication!

As I said, we had a fantastic fortnight in NY, Boston & Chicago (a real eye opener, giving NY a run for its’ money in our opinion).

Had an equally good first trip to the States in 2005 when we visited NY, San Francisco & Las Vegas.

Fascinated by the skyscrapers & enjoyed photographing them. Hard to take in their sheer size unless you are actually there.

I’m told there was a fatal accident which stopped the shuttle, but whenever I used to travel back and forth to the UK, I envied the idea of a helicopter over the traffic jams on Long Island and then Concorde to
London. All of that was outside my budget of course!

Yes, as I remember a helicopter lost a blade, and that ended the heliport on the roof.

I agree about Chicago - a GREAT city. Has almost as much stuff as NYC but is not quite as overpowering. The Art Institute of Chicago is top shelf, and compares favorably with any art museum I have ever been to, including the Hermitage, Gallerie degli Uffizi, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Amon Carter, Kimball (which punches way above its weight - they must have some very well-connected benefactors), Dallas Museum of Art, Pushkin, St. Louis Art Museum, and Tretyakov Gallery (another favorite.)

Chicago is my wife’s home city and is a gem for art and architecture, beer and food. I’m biased of course but I also find Chicagoans to be very welcoming and generous. Just before we started dating, my wife and her friends took me to one of the blues bars in the city which wasn’t necessarily my ‘thing’ but as you’d expect it was a fantastic evening.

4 Likes

Sunset on the last Hollyhock.

Cheers,

Ian

16 Likes