Nice Photos

Wild flowers (identity?) which appear to be very attractive to a particular type of orange-brown winged insect in the evening sun yesterday. Perhaps someone can identify these insects? Zooming in may help, but it’s just an iPhone image so resolution is not great.

2 Likes

You will need a second opinion.
My guess is common red soldier beetle on ragwort.
I tried to find a list of insects attracted to ragwort, there are literally dozens.
Hoping @Camphuw can help.

Great photo - I studied there '96-'00 and I always enjoyed a summer trip out to the islands to look back on the impressive skyline.

2 Likes

Morning’s dip

Imgur

26 Likes

Interesting question and I don’t have the answer on the insect but the plant is ragwort. Here is a pdf from bug life that discusses the options.

When I was active as a conservation volunteer I always confused ragwort with St John’s wort, but once you know that the latter have five petals all is well.

1 Like

Yesterday, spent some time watching Big Walt and his sidekick Little Woo harvesting the fields around us.

6 Likes

Fields around you are beautiful!

1 Like

Many thanks. Since taking the photo I have noticed ragwort everywhere! I think the insects must be some sort of beetle. There were plenty of them with a notable orange-brown shiny hue. I’ll go back and see if they’re still there and not rained off!

1 Like

Sunday afternoon in Exeter

10 Likes

Eye Candy

G

11 Likes

Ah, there she is!! Interestingly, she is the same size as Big Walt.

6 Likes

6 Likes

With some cold and wet July days recently, the birds have been flocking to our garden feeders over the last 48 hours.

Some take two portions at once. Saves time later…

9 Likes

Others just stuff their faces.

8 Likes

Fabulous piece.
We saw it last year. It’s my absolute favourite Caravaggio :blush:

1 Like

When you’re high and dry and it’s raining across the bay.

16 Likes

West end of Tramore beach (Lurgabrack).

Willy.

13 Likes

Ten past four?

Willy.

5 Likes

Ice cream with that?

1 Like

Dusk on a bit of Greece that isn’t on fire.

8 Likes