Nice Photos

I’ve never seen one in U.K., plenty across Europe,recently saw around ten a day on a golf holiday in Portugal.

We have them here in the garden (France) but had not heard of them in the UK, hence the question.

In Portugal

1 Like

Recent visit to Elan Valley, why I not visited here before now is a beyond me

19 Likes

Hoopoe, which do appear in Britain occasionally.

Cadbury, Devon – 22 August 2024

A few miles north of Exeter lies the remains of an iron age fort built by the Dumnoniorum tribe (‘Cadbury Castle’). The views out over the countryside are lovely, especially with the summer harvest well underway.

“Ploughed like fields that once gave no resistance…"

29 Likes

Iphone shot, watching people watching the sunset and then taking photos of the sunset.

13 Likes

Holiday cat has assigned itself to us.

7 Likes

Last time we were there in 2022 about this time the dams were nearly empty

National Portrait Gallery.

G

12 Likes

Interesting - Somerset also has a big Iron-Age hillfort near South Cadbury called Cadbury Castle - Durotriges tribe. That one was attacked by Vespasian and co. during the Claudian invasion and in the Dark Ages was refortified during the Briton/Saxon wars, spurring an Arthurian myth and major excavations in the 60s. Then it became a fortified Burgh and an emergency mint location during the Ethelred era. An atmospheric place - only cattle and occasional tourists these days !

15 Likes

Dartmouth, Devon – 23 August 2024

Billionaire Joe Lewis’ superyacht moored up in the harbour – apparently he used to own Tottenham Hotspur FC.

14 Likes

Dartmouth is such a beautiful town. :+1:

2 Likes

Hard to see and even harder to catch, but the US and Aus Air Forces were having joint exercises off the coast yesterday. This was just 2 of about 15 that flew past us yesterday. Sorry they’re just dots but I only had an iPhone.

4 Likes

Presumably Regatta week?

1 Like

Almost - the 179th Dartmouth Regatta starts next Thursday.

2 Likes

For those in peril …

5 Likes

Love the light in the first one.

1 Like

I do butterfly surveying on a voluntary basis and really enjoy the challenge of trying to photograph them too. The season is now over - at least in terms of surveying - and this is my favourite image this year; a Small Skipper in Derbyshire.

Cheers,

Ian

21 Likes

Happy to share on a hot day in Rhodes

13 Likes