Nick Cave - Wild God

Great songs but the sound quality is awful, on Qobuz and Tidal at any rate. Such a shame as I was really looking forward to this one. I wonder if the vinyl is any better?

Seems I’m not alone in this opinion

That’s unusual for Cave. My CD should arrive later today so it will be interesting to compare.

Yeah I agree terrible sound!!

Had a quick listen yesterday after turning the system back on after holiday. I was convinced there was something amiss with the system until I played something else.
I’ll give it another try but the SQ seemed very poor.

1 Like

That is a shame. It will impact on my enjoyment when I get to listen to it tomorrow. Is the SQ issue the same with the vinyl?

I was going to get it on vinyl but after hearing what it sounds like on Qobuz and Tidal I’m holding back for now. Surely somebody in here will be able to say if the vinyl is any good soon.

2 reasons to give this emperors clothes fake hair colour guy what is deserved
Martin

Sound is an issue on Qobuz download too. Compressed? His voice is a bit reedy too.

I liked him far more when he was miserable. Last few albums some of my favourite ever music. Boatman’s Call ditto. Soundtracks with Warren Ellis great etc but I am struggling with this new one.

On a happier note Fontaines DC new album a cracker for me.

Bruce

Been a Cave fan for two thirds of my life. And this is the first new album I could not sit through and turned off.

What has happened to him wil surely change anyone forever and for that I respect what he needs to express I his art.

But to my ears and mind this is hard to listen to and consume. I think I may have appreciated a spoken album more this time around as his lyrics remain some of the best in the business.

I’ll give it another try when I am in a different mood one day.

3 Likes

I had a similar thought; it might work for me sometimes but I need to be in the right mood. Having had two significant bereavements in the last month I wasn’t ready for the more ‘ecstatic’ tone of this album.

Bruce

2 Likes

It sounded fine in the car on the way back from the game but he’s in a bit of a run of samey albums I think. Will still be one of the albums of the year I expect. Nice choir.

For me it sounded OK on a Sonos speaker but awful on the main rig. I guess cars/phones/Sonos type speakers is what it has been mixed for.

It’s been out for only two days, chaps. Opinions will probably change radically, for better and for worse, after a couple of weeks.

Having said that… I think it’s superb, but I won’t be rushing to play it again for a few days.

No problem here with the content, just the awful sound

1 Like

The pre-release tracks on You Tube sound ok. I’ll be interested in how the CD sounds when people have them. Perhaps an issue with up sampling?

I’ve had 2 listens both Qobuz and didn’t think it sounded that bad. I’ll have to have an another go and see what’s going on.

Love the album though.

1 Like

I can say that I completely understand and get Wild God, I know some have complained about the SQ and others are whinging he’s not depressing enough-really. But as someone who’s battling with my own problems I find it rather inspirational in a very spiritual way. But that’s just me and my opinion.

Just highlights one thing you can’t please everyone.

6 Likes

Great that it hits the spot for you.

Thank goodness for music that isn’t easy or lazy. I’d rather arrists were bold and distinctive and occasionally miss my personal affection than just trot out same old.

Lets keep politics (and hair dyeing) out of our reviews though.

Bruce

6 Likes

Looks like SQ is just plain bad on all formats. Such great majestic music deserves better. Get you ears tested Mr Cave!

That’s pretty insulting. Cave is one of the best songwriters around and it’s bound to be the case that the sound is exactly what he intended us to hear. The reviews in the press have been hugely positive on this album and the comments here seem to show people sitting on the wrong side of the music versus hifi balance. Maybe someone should ask him a question in the Red Hand Files about why the sound is ‘so bad’ and suggest he gets his ears tested. The response may be interesting.

2 Likes