Nightwish - Birmingham'21 and beyond

But he is still (slightly) taller than… Prince and Angus Young…!

Proof Positive - size does not matter, when playing Guitar.

2 Likes

New NW album expected late 2023 - :astonished:

2 Likes

I found this version of Alpenglow, from a ‘reaction’ YouTube’.
Its from October 2015, in Mexico City. Enjoy…!

(appreciate the vocal contributions from Marco, which we no longer have, sadly… :cry: )

1 Like

I really like this new single:

1 Like

I was just browsing Floor stuff in Apple Music and saw it was a 2023 release, may have heard it before. I’ve been in Sheffield for the last few days and must have been experiencing ‘withdrawal symptoms’!

According to YouTube, it was posted 2 weeks ago.

Personally… I wish her luck - but probably not something I will be buying… … :expressionless:

I think the problem she has portraying a softer solo side is song selection.

As I mentioned I quite like that new release as it has some lovely delicate vocals for the verse, but the chorus is a bit too ‘middle of the road’ for me and in some ways I’d have preferred a ‘slow song’ throughout, though the video helps a bit.

Her fame with Nightwish will inevitably allow her to have a successful solo career in parallel.

Maybe it’s something she’s always wanted, maybe it’s a new challenege or diversifying opportunity especially with Marko leaving, then there’s also age as none of us are getting any younger, and I suspect as with most singers their vocal prowess may not be what it was in their prime.

Unlikely to buy it either but we’d be in the majority for all music these days. Only thing I’ve bought recently is an LP re-issue I haven’t even opened after several weeks and only because I didn’t want it to sell out and regret not buying it later.

2 Likes

Here’s the other track she has released, on YouTube:

More to my liking… :slightly_smiling_face:

I think its actually very simple. With Nightwish, she gets to sing Tuomas’s lyrics, over Tuomas’s music, backed by Nightwish. That’s a very hard act to follow, I think.

I don’t know who has written these 2 tracks - if they are words & music by Floor - or if others are involved…? For Fire, there is a co-writing credit listed, on Discogs - Gordon Groothedde. Maybe same on these 2 tracks…?

Clearly, its a choice that she has made. As you say, the Nightwish connection will ‘work’ for her and ensure a degree of success.

2 Likes

I concur
You said it better than me but essentially solo Floor isn’t the same as NW / Ayreon Floor

1 Like

She cannot & should not be, ‘the same’. She wasn’t in After Forever, but that was probably closer to how she is in Nightwish…?

The Floor we ‘know’ has had great material to work with - from Tuomas and from Arjen. Now its her own material, at least in part (I could only find writing credits for Fire - see my post above).

Its up to the listener to decide if they like Solo Floor… :thinking:

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqAh46-oY-b/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Noise from, Osaka - 25th March’23 -

1 Like

There seems to be no end to the YouTube Reactions to Ghost Love Shore. So many new-to-Nightwish peeps getting blown away…

Here’s one to Everdream instead. The reactor had already ‘done’ GLS at Wacken, and then did this one next. She knew Floor - but didn’t expect Marco… :open_mouth:

( IMO, Marcoleaving was a big loss to Nightwish. Such a shame - but it was his decision… :expressionless: )

Gone.

Not. Just decided to remove it.

Joanne Shaw Taylor just landed with me. Samantha Fish is another recommendation.

Also recently discovered Eivor - partly via The Last Kingdom (all the vocals you hear are hers - and you can even see her in one episode is Series 5…!).

I am not touching F’s ‘Paragon’. I have seen/heard enough - not for me. Sorry.

Same with latest Ayreon offshoot. Sorry, Arjen - not for me.

This thread has run its course. No more from me.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Just didn’t want you to remove something that might have interested others off the back of me explaining poorly that I’ve been trying a lot of different stuff recently - even music you really enjoy can get stale when you play it too much.

Not keen on that glam 70’s Arjen stuff either.

How high… You know you want to find out… :crazy_face: :thinking: :open_mouth:

1 Like

From 7 years ago…

Tuomas explains … :slightly_smiling_face:

Nightwish, Seattle, USA - October 2012 - a new singer joins the band.
This is the first song, from that first show.
Room for some improvement, at this stage.

By this song, she’s getting the hang it…

2 Likes