No bullshit upgrade?

Really? Have you compared the two then?
For a start the BluOS app is much more user friendly the app of the Ifi.

1 Like

Yes, I did replace a node with a Zen Stream and the difference was clearly discernible, the node was sucking the life out of the music. The BluOS app is infinitely superior as you pointed out, but for roon (either via RAAT or NAA) or Tidal Connect users itā€™s a non issue.

1 Like

Oh, maybe a reason to try it then.

Zen stream doesnt have analogue out as far as i seeā€¦

No its a transport in effect. Need to connect to your chosen DAC.

The Ifi Stream app also doesnt support Qobuz, if thatā€™s an issue. Roon will cover this though if you use that.

Were you running the Node then the Zen through your Qutest DAC?

Correct, initially from roon to node over the network and from node to Qutest over USB. The Zen Stream simply replaced the node. Using HQ Player now but saving the Zen Stream for a secondary system Iā€™m building. Interestingly enough the improvement between node and Zen Stream was bigger than between Zen Stream and HQ Player, hard think of better VFM in a network transport than Zen Stream.

1 Like

Interesting, many thanks for your reply.

1 Like

The downside must be mentioned too, the Zen Stream is a nightmare to setup, documentation extremely poor, WiFi very shaky and support close to non-existent. If it wasnā€™t for information available from online groups I would have returned it. Once setup itā€™s solid, truly set and forget.

1 Like

I completely agree about the Zen stream, best value streamer out thereā€¦as long as you use it with Roon. I was shocked how much better it sounded than a Laptop into my standalone Dac.
I even added a linear power supply to mine, and the Dac, which improves it further.
In the end I hated all the boxes and cables, so went with an all in one.

2 Likes

Thanks for interesting info @NO-QUARTER and @llatpoh76

Iā€™d be interested to hear from either of you with such positive experiences with the Zen Stream and Roon whether you also compared against a simple RPi running RoPieee or similar? I use this into my RME - no hat, just straight USB out - with great resultsā€¦ but have not compared with a different streamer.

I have not compared it to anything other than my Laptop into the Dac. There is a YouTube video of these two guys comparing the Zen stream to a Node 2 into the same Dac. Both chose the Zen stream as far superior.
I have used many Naim streamers in the past:
UQ2
NDS
ND5XS2
That is why I think the Zen stream is such a bargain.
The Dac I used my Zen with was the
Musical Fidelity MX Dac.

1 Like

I havenā€™t played with RPi, wouldnā€™t know, sorry.

1 Like

I think tip top amplification drives a good sound system, a well looked after Classic 202/200 Combo will give a fantastic lift over your integrated amp, can be upgraded with napsc and hi cap dr power supplies and are so cheap right now, add in an n-dac as your digital hub and with your tt you will have a quality system - I ran this lot for years mostly streaming tidal from my iPhone powering big pmc speakers. 202/200 costs about Ā£1100, n/dac Ā£900 then napsc Ā£150 & hicap/dr about Ā£750

1 Like

If youā€™re going down separates route an 82 Hicap with 250 Olive, Classic or Chrome Bumper maybe worth considering. This is the route I took after starring Naim with a Nait 5Si and CD5Si. I nice Ndac or Qutest DAC would be ideal.

My sonā€™s system at my house includes a Thorens TD160. Lovely deck, I would keep it for sure, even if you buy another turntable, keep it in 2nd system.

I have had a RP3 and Linn Axis as well and all 3 are great turntables. Perhaps the RP3 is easiest to live with.

If youā€™re buying one item maybe go for the Dac first off. A Hicap DR would be a good move as well as you can use it on further upgrades such as a Supernait 2 or 3 or a 202, 282 preamp.

Keep the turntable for now and consider a Rega turntable as an additional deck if you can afford to hang on to the Thorens.

Good luck!

I was considering the RME as an alternative to my 272/555 but was unable to get one on home loan, so borrowed a Topping D90LE DAC and there was no going back. Donā€™t know how it would work with your Node, but I connected it directly to my server by USB, controlled via Roon.

If you like detail, clarity, lack of noise youā€™d love it. No bullshit! And itā€™s great value too (if you use MQA youā€™d need to try the SE version)

Hi all,

Just connected a zen signature dac to my bluesound node, it brings forward the music quite a lot for just a little over 200 bucks! Maybe a good step before going into further investing on amps and so on. Its doing a really good job in adding color, clarity and room to everything. Do not miss anything here.

Since the zen stream is cool with roon only, i would say this is not the go to option for me.

But: there is a little click noise & delay whenever a new track is startingā€¦. :roll_eyes:

I dont think direct links are permitted on this section of the forum .