No Mow May

Man, does everyone live in the country on this Forum!

2 Likes

Yes :blush:

5 Likes

My neighbour and I obviously don’t share the same view on this topic. But then, his cat needs hunting grounds.

4 Likes

I’ve been sparing in mowing the strip of land at the side of the house. It’s coming along although I’m not sure these are indigenous

3 Likes

Spent most of the day in the garden yesterday and ended up inadvertently trampling flowering weeds at the side of the house to take shredded material to the green bins.

Ripped some of the trampled weeds up and was mortified to find this little fella crawling out of them:

Old iPhone X pics, not half bad really.

Thought I’d damaged the right wing which seemed folded over, but I may not have as it’s probably an angle shade moth, and something I read last night suggests it has longitudinal folds at the tips of the wings.

5 Likes

They are welcome though and a generous addition to any garden

Aquilegia (or Columbine) is native to the UK. They are also popular garden plants, and they self-seed readily, so there’s every chance that these are garden escapees.

1 Like

Yes I have some elsewhere and have been scattering the seeds every year. I just didn’t know if they were native.

Cottage garden plants, I.e found in the wild and transplanted into gardens .like primroses etc

This years real bee magnet has been Cerinthe. Think honeywort is its old fashioned name. A packet of seeds and you have friends for life.

4 Likes

Thanks Nick

Ordered a packet, may be too late

best wishes

Ian

Rather too late really, but reading this thread did make me cancel, just before the end of May, our “lawn care” service, which sprayed fertiliser and weed killer on our lawns four or five times a year.

2 Likes

It arrived yesterday

Many thanks

Recent warm weather has started to affect many of the plants/weeds and in addition several have stopped flowering and are releasing seeds especially the sow thistle. Suspect I’ll have a tidy up in coming days, I’m sure they’ll be back with a vengeance soon!

The wingers’ breakfast bar.

Pyracantha hedge grown in morning sun and flowering beautifully this year. Should be a good crop of berries for the blackbirds later.

3 Likes

Aka Cranesbill?

Phil

I grew up knowing them as Granny Bonnet.
There was always a disagreement on family holidays about naming hedgerow plants, Cranesbill was one of those. Today I would give that name to a member of the Geranium family.

1 Like

Saw several little froglets the other day, very little sign of tadpoles or froglets yesterday or today, not sure if the hot weather has affected the water.

1 Like

No mow may is so last month.

3 Likes

Cranesbill is Geranium. I tend to associate the name with the wild varieties you often see in hedgerows and verges, although there are many garden varieties.
I assume the name is from the long pointed seed pods that form as the flowers fade.

4 Likes