Non Naim PreAmps with NAP 300DR

Ha, ha, ha, ha.

I would love to listen to it! I believe that when Naim designed the Statements they thought they would not sell many, and probably not get any significant return on the product …as it happens it has sold in much higher numbers than expected.

I am afraid for it to become within range of my impecunious wallet they would need to suffer catastrophic 2nd hand devaluation. :wink:

M

1 Like

If you’re listening through Statement… you’re probably hearing stuff even the mastering engineer doesn’t know is there… what you get could be a bit of a lottery!

1 Like

Actually there is truth in that … take the track Hey Now London Grammar… it sounds great but … you can hear some clumsy studio artifacts…going on…especially around the bass line…

1 Like

Might hear that tomorrow Richieroo … :wink: ATB Peter

2 Likes

If you want hear superbly mastered electronic album try Convergence … Boris Blank… Celestial Echo…thats amazing

3 Likes

The only preamps I liked with 135s or 300dr were the EAR ones. But then I preferred the Linn Klimax amp with the EAR.s.

I have never heard/seen the Allegri.

Always include a Naim preamp if you are trying other preamp makes. I have run my 300dr with an old 72/HC and compared to the ayre 5 and the 72 had all the balls in that marriage.

3 Likes

I’m looking for posts noting the minimal differences between the 52 and the 552, but I can’t find any. Help anyone?!

1 Like

The 52 was the impossible preamp to beat in 2001 :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Good point @frenchrooster

1 Like

Hi Jan,

The EAR868 worked very well with the 300DR. The Allegri is a touch more transparent as a line stage, but the 868 gives the instruments a touch more body. Both are dynamic and engaging.

The 52 or 552 are the best pre-amps that you can get. Look no further if you have one of those pre-amps. Of course, the 552 is better than the 52, but a lot of people just stop at 52, it is that good.

1 Like

I always thought the 252 was an improvement over the 52 although with a different signature.

Personally, I do not think that I can get along with with the 252, its sound signature is too soft for me.

There really is not one answer for all this.
I have been lucky enough to own many naim amps and pre amps over the last 30 years, my favourite ones, 82, 52 and 552dr, they all offer slightly different things. Hell i even tried to move awzy from all my naim gear this year into that Vitus integrated, but i didnt.

There is something that works very well when you use Naim pre’s and amps together, and i feel you might as well just run with that as it just works, rather than try and make something else try and work as good with the Naim amp.
If it’s a different sound, say more detail and wider sound, then either move into something that gives you that out the box, or you can try what i have done, as i have found this gives me the best off both worlds.
Pair the Naim amps and pre amps together, for you with the 300dr, i would say 252 or 282 min, then add a great source that has more detail etc, this has kept all the good bits that Naim does, like prat, fast, etc, but added extra width, detail and transparent to it, yes you could try doing this with a different pre like the Allegri, but you will lose some of the Naim Prat and speed.

As always this is just my opinion, but it works fantastically, but then i would say that lol

3 Likes

Yep… mine is a 2000 build… It’s still a great pre-amp. The move from the 82 to 52 was milestone for me. As much as I liked the 82, it was with the 52 I felt finally my system was giving me everything that I wanted in every way, no holes, no gaps… it just sounds right. Upgrades since, including my recent upgrade from 250 to 300DR, are a build on a sound that I’m already happy with. A great place to be! Maybe one day I’ll get to try a 552, but for now I’m happy with the 52.

2 Likes

Such great commentary and points of view. Thank-you all. I’ve made my decision; based on input and personal listening experience. I plan to:

• Replace by NAC N272 with a NAC 252 with a supercap power source.
  • Add an NDX 2 as a streamer source alongside my Uniti CORE.
  • Deploy an existing XPS DR that on the new NDX2.
  • Play an occasional SACD or Blu Ray on my OPPO UDP 205
  • Power all of this thru to my current NAP 300 DR and ultimately out of my Wilson Duetts.
  • Mostly with transparent cables and Naim interconnects.
    Stimulate the audio economy - Sit back, get immersed in my music…since live music is out of the question for the next year as this pandemic and “lock-down” persists.
    Cheers!
5 Likes

Sounds a great plan, that is sure to bring nice listening pleasure

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t know where you guys hail from…but here on the US east coast…it is dismal. What few restaurants and bars are left are at max 25% capacity. All movie theaters closed. Grocery stores are on staggered entry. Most school kids are at home in virtual academies. No live music or concerts. My heart breaks for the great number of displaced back-up musicians. And some major cities are on home lock-downs. “Winter is coming!” We will probably move into even greater lockdowns come January…I am indeed fortunate that I love music…will continue to revisit all of that great and vast musical art…but a bit louder now and with more depth! Cheers…

1 Like

On second lockdown in England, schools are still going, but struggling as once a positive result, most off the school will shut, pubs, restaurants, non essential shops shut, basically not much open, most people working from home, not great, but its better than being ill.

This was the route I took. I spent a year waiting for the right 552 to come along - early model, unserviced, but of known provenance - then had the full monty service done by AV Options in Chicago.

One interesting detail is that, in addition to the PS recap & DR upgrade, they offer a rebuild service on the head unit which includes a new display board. At the time, this seemed (maybe) excessive but, given that I plan on the 552 seeing me out, I went for it. Considering the comments on the “How many defective 552s” thread, I’m glad I did.

1 Like