Non-native, non-English Favorite Songs

My favourite non English music is in Gaelic. Take a listen to Capercaillie, Julie Fowlis, Skippininsh and Selected Runrig tracks.
Our neighbouring country in the Uk yet not many listen to the music . Fantastic and meaningful music the language doesn’t matter it’s the mood of the music.
Forget JimmyShand and the white heather club. .
By the way I’m not Scottish but the music and the culture and scenery are in my heart

For starters listen to https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&client=firefox-b-m&q=Runrig+Chì+Mi'n+Geamhradh&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAIVUz2vUQBhNurbdTltoU8ESRJZFatvD7iabzQ9BWigqQkuhLnhz2fyYJJtkspmkm2RFFD0JHkRQQW-ePPQv8CBYTy3qwYMnUfDmScFLL4K7rSRTEcxp3nxv3nvfN0OKo-WpqlnlgkZH6jlCws_hbYRts2S2DdfWSqGPzHCfPsbJoYaxa_2BYU0UeafRy6uwIcdcDvsptMSM3Aggpwg59KCaKDlZVx01zqtI6Mr9fXp6CDlVqclOWpcIrdDUlRxiNdYxYRwLgU5UtW4_zGEIZY2Q8jopJMhRjAIiliA5Qp_wrScy0X-jFWVGQ9-eGQek70CbmB3PhYgwUqWso0FV9YJuh-g_SZwWkTmuq0E2DjEOodjp5uU4UF2YQyfFep2IFcLUJCbtqBzRoRg4LZlIyfG1_A4tJHtSZgx50dQiqZ47pQlvEbcWWK4oEzD1FJSljlHqwggTE_CSgHhqdc5rdXK22xWSY9NsWCEmX0BP4ogB9RWxQ-RENU_pfaWfFiZnvh18nmMfFB7u7H2k7xXAzLrvh4abbhluOzL0ps-cBWMXUWRHKcOCKbZY9ao1qdaPFykWgAwxn2gwedWImv6Gr9swZd7SzB79D7WFTO00mGYnhud5nUu5gdwkyCFz_y-9m8wNMLFheKqBw03INAFY813X0CLbR8wlUGbPVLVso4oNzce6jcyW5m6H0eDMQL8E_sMpn9w6bEjALjxaSQKMzo8sjpS7vP7yw-P3Y9dnr32hqMrdzVV2aZkB41fCdV9ru7PU4fdjZXkOFJvtxEe-l2ab5YWJJ3uV0rtn31dmfy6N355_fWp1vlCiFilu8-DXrd1HldULQ-YydefVi92xE0V6hpp6PspuHf161qw3O6UN-xwqXTbanoXbuvUbKdKq_6cEAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiyk9PbhLLrAhVOT8AKHQ1-AhcQri4wHnoECA4QKQ

I have a dozen albums by a French band called
Ange . Only one of them is sung in English,but I just love the music .

Wonderful album…love it!

I was waiting for the first Spanish, which, additionally, is not Shakira. Thanks for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:
(I hope I didn’t miss a Spanish already mentioned)

Edit: Ups, I missed …

this is fab is many of their output.

a mad but fantastic band who are fab live.
4 Likes

It is the joy in their faces as they play this. A ‘pinch yourself moment’ for them clearly. The studio album track is tighter but those smiles…
2 Likes

You have to include a disc or two by Joy Dunlop. Gaelic scholar and for many years a promoter of the Gaelic language before going full time into music. Here’s a favourite of mine for starters:

Roger

Your are right, those guys are mad.
First I thought they are Spanish … then they reminded me on Bulgarian (or at least that area of Europe), but hey: the are French

Pachuco by Maldita Vecindad. If you are looking for a mad Mexican energy rush look no further

Got a lot of stuff from Mali. From the Griots & kora players to the blues of the various Toures. Can’t understand a word but the music & sounds are great!

1 Like

It can’t be beaten, either as a tone poem or as a piece of non-Anglophone, uniquely German pop.

3 Likes

Alpha Blondy, Reggae artist from the Ivory Coast who sings in a number of languages including his native tongue, French and Hebrew.
He recorded this classic at Tuff Gong studios with The Wailers. The theme of the album being a call for unity from people of differing religions.

R-757553-1362692609-4644.jpeg
:heart:

I disabled my record player quite a while ago - and recently I digitalized the remaining records. And so russian band Kino got rediscovered with their unnamed album from 1990. I got as gift while visiting Tiblisi/Georgia shortly before Sovietunion ended.
To me, the whole album is driven by russian melancholy soul - great!

Reading the post from @Alanm1, @Eoink or @Dozey I was a little surprised that Ulla Meinecke and Ute Lemper were mentioned, i.e. got attention outside Germany. But their active time is in the past (isn’t it?), and so I was wondering to share something more new. Not totally new, but newer.

So, first of all, Rammstein knowing that both videos and music are not with everybody’s taste. For the one below you should keep in mind that it has been quite controversely discussed due to its used means. On my own I prefer the older album like “Mutter” with great song “Spieluhr”.

Herbert Grönemeyer, probaly most to you known as actor in the movie “Das Boot” (1981), is matter of fact a musician. Still nice to listen to “Das Meer”

One rare song in German also from Wolfsheim. Like the one from Grönemeyer a melancholic one

Just a last example that german music can also be quite optimistic is Peter Fox

1 Like

I do not understand the language, but Barra Barra is a track on one of my favourite playlists for long car journeys:

A beautiful song, “Adam’s Lullabye”.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.