North West Audio Show 2024

Doesn’t the TT in Hugo TT stand for Table Top.

It’s not designed to go on a shelf. It’s designed to go on a Table Top.

His degree was Politics and Philosophy, he then seemed to go into computing as many physics graduates did.

Nice to see a few reel to reel on display.

2 Likes

According to what I have read elsewhere, the overwhelming interest was from people with headphones. Despite that, the number of people using it as a headphone amp and siting it on a desktop could be counted on 2 hands. Whatever the alleged intent it is a massive failure of either understanding who you are designing for and how to will be used or just a failure.

On the surface your comment sounds eminently sensible but then what was the Qutest designed for? What were the Hugo and Hugo 2 designed for? Try reading the sample rate of the Dave when it’s mounted on a Chord stand and you’re not in front of it and looking down.

We could discuss forever whether these things are attractive but in terms of really basic UI things there is just no getting away from the fact they are uniformly awful.

With my temporary Qutest I keep looking at it from my listening seat and thinking that

• no human being could read the sample light. It’s a struggle in daylight even when right in front of it.
  • why do I need permanently lit lights to tell me what input I’m on and what filter I am using? If either were essential then the likes of Naim would be using them. Where I switch or mute inputs on my Naim pre it lights up the appropriate button with a little green circle for barely a couple of seconds. That tells me all I need to know. Enough said really.

Ah, now that you’ve gone through the problems, then I can understand how the end user interface could do with a little work to optimise and make it more user friendly. It sounds achingly frustrating to use. Mmm, that is surprising I must say. If these frustrations are well documented, then I do hope owners have passed this feedback on to Chord and they act on it.

Back on topic… Did anyone take any photos? I got a little distracted this year going through the rooms a little quicker than usual just to get to the record racks, so got a little sidetracked with that mini mission!

1 Like

2 Likes

Vertere demonstrated that very turntable, arm, cartridge and new phono stage at the Audiobarn the other week. It was really quite remarkably awesome.
Amp, speakers and of course the room were different though.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes