Northern lights / Aurora borealis

4 Likes

Last night on the hill in front of our place in Calgary Alberta Canada. I might head out of the city for some darker skies tonight.

4 Likes

They were seen from Northern France and as far south as Mont Blanc last night. I suspect there were more camera phone sightings though, than actual visual sightings.

North Yorkshire

1 Like

Looking good for tonight again (Saturday).

G

Thanks for that Graeme! Thst is now installed on my phone too.

That is from the 10th - 11th, shouldn’t tonight be 11th - 12th?

At the moment my App is telling me that the Aurora is visible in the northern half of the UK tonight.

1 Like

Here’s hoping the sky stays clear enough - where I am there’s a lot of thin high cloud.

A question to those posting photos.

Are the photos an an accurate representation of what they actually saw.

A friend went to Iceland a few months ago. When he showed me the photos he’d taken of the sky, he immediately said that the sky didn’t actually look like that.

Long exposures suck in more light over many seconds so the camera can “see” the light better than you do with the naked eye.

I think your friend is correct, I gather your phone picks up the colours as being more vibrant and also people are inevitably enhancing them further. From what I’ve heard it’s much more muted to the naked eye, I missed it last night so will see later.

1 Like

So, they are fake images really.

I don’t see the point.

1 Like

I live in Scotland and have seen this quite a number of times.
The colours can be vivid but the big con always portrayed is the dancing lights and lots of fast movement “ bluff “ these are time lapse the actual image is almost static and changes very slowly. :thinking:

2 Likes

I think fake is a bit strong to be fair

2 Likes

In my case yes, you are concerned I guess about Ai being used to enhance the images.

Whilst there are a good number of poorly edited images out there a good photograph should reflect what the photographer saw and not embellish it.

However, every image we take using a digital camera (irrespective of whether by phone or digital camera) is processed in some way by the camera’s internal image processor, any image you view on a camera’s screen (or your screen at home) is effectively a computer adjusted interpretation of what you looked at. How accurate this image is to what you actually saw is almost impossible to judge but it is your memory of the occasion because that it what is recorded so must be true.

On the issue of Aurora images what I will say is that the camera is able to see what the eye cannot, my first image of the night showing the lights was taken and all I could see what a murky light over the lighthouse and land in the distance, when I viewed the image on the back of the camera the murky light was a very clear green light with a tiny amount of pink and purple at the edges.

I don’t know enough about the tech to explain exactly how it works all that I know is that it works.

Any photographer who uses a camera at night will be able to see more than what we can see with our naked eyes, with cameras sat on tripods and the shutter held open a camera can turn a very dark scene into one that appears to be taken in daylight.

They’re not fake you’re just using the tools that the camera has available to create a visualisation of what we saw at that point in time. Is it accurate, yes.

But, the colour mix between different makes of internal processor will not be same so different brands will have a slightly different look.

3 Likes

I almost invariably post-process my pics on the Listening thread… I’m never playing what it seems…:laughing:

2 Likes

My pics are straight of the phone. When looking last night at first the images were clearer on the phone than to the naked eye, but some of them you could clearly see the different colours.

1 Like

After Match of the Day, one hopes!

Cameras have higher light gathering than the human eye so will inevitably capture more detail, especially colour details.

The images I took are not enhanced - they are just what the camera saw.

1 Like

This is a wedding photo from Whangarei of the Aurora I posted last night (credit NZ Herald). This is extremely remarkable, as Whangarei is the antipode of Angier - the northern tip of Morocco.

A bucket list event really, I’d always wanted to see this, back thought I’d need to get to Scandinavia.

1 Like