Not "liking" legendary bands or artists

Great new band name there for someone.

5 Likes

The golden age of “rock music” was mid-sixties to mid-seventies, which by an amazing coincidence coincided with my (music likes/dislikes) formative teenage/early twenties years

Since then, with a few exceptions, IMNSHO the overwhelming morass of “popular music” has been utter dross!

As usual, other (misguided) opinions are available, and YMMV (even if it’s wrong).

You know, I feel so much better for that

:laughing:

9 Likes

I assumed it was the name of a Canadian DM tribute act.

3 Likes

I have considered going back and listening to some Queen albums careful to avoid the tracks I mentioned. However there’s so much music I know I do like to listen to but I still might. Think their best track was Under Pressure Bowie helped ground the song imo.

Are they loose aboot the hoose?

5 Likes

Have you listened to Jazz Sabbath?

1 Like

Yep, got both albums :slightly_smiling_face:

Try to have a listen to Miles Davis’s LP ‘In A Silent Way’. (If your system has good resolving capabilities, you may be able to hear the valve amps humming!)

It’s unlike anything else that he recorded, and may be a gentle introduction to a small part of the massive morass that is jazz.

4 Likes

I’ll give it a go

That’s as maybe, but jazz influenced is not jazz!
A lot of rock, and other styles, have jazz influences, and crossover (e.g. “jazz rock”), but to me there is a point where music bacomes too jazzy and I dislike it.

1 Like

I saw Adam Wakeman last week, and he mentioned it and played one number (Iron man). Whilst it was OK in a live setting, amid other music, I had a listen to that and several other tracks from both albums on Spotify afterwards and found nothing to like, indeed it wasn’t long before it started grating.

As somebody who listens to a bit of Jazz as soon as I play it I can hear the “Jazz”. Bill Ward’s solo albums are Jazz.

I’m not too clear as to your point - are you saying that to you that track IS jazz, or just that it is jazz influenced? If the former, then by your assessment of jazz I do like some. If you’re simply saying it is jazz influenced, or has some jazz rhythms or whatever, then as I acknowledged that is not uncommon in lots of music and it doesn’t make me like jazz - nor is it likely ever to as it hasn’t in 50-odd years!

1 Like

It’s Bill’s Jazz style drumming that give it a Jazz flavour that’s all. You may not have recognised that if you don’t listen to any Jazz but as I do I was able to spot it.

1 Like

Well, jazz influences permeate into many things - sometimes it can be positive, depending on what the influence is and what the music is, but only up to a point. Once the jazziness exceeds a certain point it kills it for me. But it is impossible to define what that point is!

I find it much easier to say “I like this” and “I do not like this”.

If you really want to define yourself as a music snob that’s the point isn’t It? This is x. This is influenced by x.

I used to sit in work with a wonderful colleague who could tell me at length what was and wasn’t punk. Always struck me that if punk was as open minded as it proclaimed then most punks didn’t look or sound like punks snd yet for some they have to or they’re not.

I could not give a fig about genre or influence. Can I connect with it? Do I enjoy it? Is it any good?

4 Likes

Bands/Performers I dislike intensely:

(1) Aerosmith
(2) The Beatles
(3) David Bowie
(4) Ted Nugent
(5) Beyoncé
(6) The Doors
(7) The Smiths
(8) Radiohead
(9) Dixie Chicks
(10) Elvis (except Blue Christmas)
(11) All Rap, Jazz (except Kind of Blue) and any old style country

1 Like

is it possible that what you regard as jazz style drumming is not unique to jazz? Maybe common to other music styles?

Regardless, I bet they all sound fantastic on those K10’s! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are you familiar with FWB? Did you have a particular style in mind?