Not Naim but Good Enough CD players

They are but they have noticeably different sound profiles.

1 Like

Strangely, I was checking the functionality of the Naim Uniti Core yesterday… :astonished:

1 Like

There’s a teac drive inside, one of the slimline slot loaders.

4 Likes

Brand new Cyrus and Cyrus of old are very different; I wouldn’t dismiss one of their cd players from an audition.
The issues that plagued the early model slot loaders is long gone.

4 Likes

@Bjorn & @robert_h - The question I was trying to answer was - can the Uniti Core be connected directly to say a Naim streamer or the nDAC, via BNC S/PDIF…?

2 Likes

It has digital output via bnc, so yes.
But from the rips, it doesn’t function as a cd transport.

2 Likes

So… its similar to the HDX, then…? That (AFAIK) did exactly that - rip to its HDD (or later SSD), then play.

Yes, if I were to buy a new “transport” today, I would definitely have bought a Core and then ripped my CDs. This way you can even get a better sound than via streaming.

2 Likes

Another option, which could work for me, would be to drop CD rips (make on my PC) onto a USB external drive and plug that into either a Streamer or an nDAC.

Options… are good… :smiley:

Actually, the HDX did have a “play CD” setting, but the sound was noticeably worse than a rip.

1 Like

Oddly i do something similar. Using a tweaked Node into an ndac. Feed that with a usb drive and ripped files in folders and it plays very well. Not sure why you’d need a cdp or even a transport anymore. Just rip to a Usb stick.

2 Likes

I would be surprised if you find the CD5Si disappointing withe the SN3.
I’m very happy with my set up
Better with phono connections too

2 Likes

I think these days I’d want a player where the manufacturer also makes the Transport

1 Like

I bought one (CD5si) , I put a Chord Shawline and Chord Powerline plus some isolation pucks (spot the deliberate mistake) .

It’s a good player , though I think I have taken it as far as possible

2 Likes

I have already!

1 Like

I had dismissed the Core as an option because although you rip your cd’s to its hard drive and it can be connected to a Dac of choice I think I’m right in saying that it requires a hard wired internet connection to your router so you can access your music via the Naim app, if I’ve got this wrong please let me know as the Core has some excellent reviews and would keep the Naim synergy.

2 Likes

Ah… makes sense. But (IMO) makes this option less attractive and/or simple.

Would be good if anyone could confirm - or deny - this.

The core doesn’t support WiFi. But there’s nothing stopping you from wiring it to a wireless access point. It therefore does not have to be wired all the way back to the router.

5 Likes

Our Core is connected to the router via a ethernet over the mains…before anyone starts…it works perfectly for us ( it is only used for streaming to a Muso 2 in the kitchen and QB upstairs ) …the connection is really for metadata , although after yesterdays performance with ripping both Peter Gabriel I/o cds I do wonder if it’s worth it ( only joking…I still think the Core is an excellent product )
I still prefer direct cd replay through the Accuphase cd rather than ripped and streamed versions…but we are all different and what works for one may not suit others.
Steve.

2 Likes

I replaced my dead and irreparable CDS 3 with a Pro-Ject Box rs2 transport. And it may be heresy, but I like it better than the CDS 3. It seems completely neutral, but a caveat, if it’s playing a poorly recorded or produced CD, it lets you know.

3 Likes