Not NC 200 or 300 Experiences?

@ratrat if you have an old Apple TV remote this also operated nDAC inputs……

1 Like

Yes, it’s the streamer remote (if you have one) and app that can’t control the NDAC inputs as well as the amp. To me System Automation makes the preamp remote redundant, so I wouldn’t be using it to control the DAC.
The 1st gen streamers had two SA cable sockets, so you could control another device (CD player or DAC) via the streamer as well as the preamp.

1 Like

I also control the inputs on my nDAC using Naim preamp remote control buttons 7, 8, 9 and 0.

This is described in the nDAC manual.

But I don’t have a system automation control cable.

4 Likes

We just use NDX2 for source selection, nDAC never moves off input 1.

Problem solved! Although as you say not a big issue, as 7890 on 252 remote shift nDAC.

Currently have SkyQ and SMSL 100 connected into NDX2. We find this preferable to direct to nDAC, perhaps the extra layer of isolation helps.

We do have the automation cable in place for volume control via NDX2 remote.

1 Like

I was reaching my endgame system when news emerged of the new kit. My response was to get my old boxes serviced and to replace my old unserviced SC with a new SCDR with a considerable reduction.

I like the new look now and I’m sure it sounds great. I am also sure it builds on the performance of OC. If I were building a system now I think I would be more than happy with it. But changing from OC to NC is definitely off my radar…

5 Likes

That’s how we feel. Particularly, the bit about changing.
Maybe in the future. Who knows.

Looks like the addition of a SCDR allowed you a version of ‘complete”, with your OC system. Nice :+1:

Best wishes
R

2 Likes

What’s that?

Is it a cheap dac?

It’s an SMSL PO100 Pro, USB to SPDIF converter.

It is allowing us to use Tidal max hires (24/192 where available) streaming into NDX2. Stopgap until naim firmware allows this.

Works very well with iPad and Raspberry PI.

Sound quality is very good for a 40 quid device, not at NDX2 level but good.

Hey @QuickSticks

I remember you considered NC, specifically 222.
Did Tony audition with the NC250 for you too ?
But then you chose 282 - HCDR - 300.

It would be fascinating to hear your story and understand an individual perspective and decision making.

Interesting. Just to clarify, are you saying that the ND5/ndac/sn3/HC was preferred over the NC 222/300/250, or did you just compare ND5/ndac v 222 into sn3/HC? Many thanks.

1 Like

This is interesting but not completely unexpected from my experience. I came away listening to the NC200 series thinking it sounds great but in the back of my mind I was thinking to myself “I’ve got a pretty damn good system currently”.

8 Likes

Dear @QuickSticks

First, thanks for your comprehensive reply, via another thread. Copy below…

Seems like you were looking for something quite specific, which incorporated thinking about a special listening environment, existing pieces and also musical tastes, etc. These nuances, all understood, for any hifi journey.

I guess I was also hoping for some reflections or thoughts on decision making, comparing NC and OC items. Having chosen a new OC system, this year, etc.

BTW, currently listening to Steve Wilson “The Harmony Codex”, which is brilliant. His latest album, just released a few days ago. Probably his best work yet. Thoroughly recommend. An interest in prog’ rock lives on, (in me). :wink:

Best wishes
R

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying it too, highly recommended and top notch recording.

3 Likes

Sitting, listening to Auralic stream of RP mellow mix, through the 552/300 DR and Spendor 9.2 set up. Isn’t it just amazing how good this Naim kit is ( and how fortunate we are to have it). Some tracks I’ve never been a fan of- Bozz Scaggs, Crowded House, followed by the well worn Fleetwood M Albatross. Everything just sounding fresh and new. I shall now revisit all three bands.

5 Likes

Only in 2023:
NAP200>NAP250DR >NAP300DR
HC>HCDR
NDX>NDX2
NAC202 >NAC282
I think that’s about it.
And I am very happy with the setup.

6 Likes

Also in 2023
NAC 202 > NAC 282
1x HiCap DR > 2x HiCap DR (awaiting Delivery)
NAP 200 > NAP 300
MacBook/Dragonfly > MacMini/DAC V1 > ND5 XS 2 > NDX 2
I can fully agree with you, it’s been a heck of a year and that doesn’t include Linn upgrades and speaker changes.
2024 is going to be a music year, where I sit back and enjoy the system I have built. I hope you get the chance to do the same.

4 Likes

Sure. That is correct.

ND5 XS2 → nDAC → SN3 + HCDR was preferred to NSC 222 + NPX 300 → NC250.

But it’s a little more nuanced…
The NC option clearly has a different sonic character.
In terms of sound quality, focussing on individual instruments, felt the OC system just as good. All things being equal, the OC system was significantly less cost. So, “value” becomes a major factor.

IMO, the ND5 XS2 + nDAC is a better solution, compared to the streaming component in 222. Plus, offers the option to add XPS or 555PS to the nDAC for a further improvement.

We already had the nDAC and other classic pieces.

A few words about a SuperLine too…
Also, we added a better phono stage into the house, preferring SuperLine + HCDR to the NC options available. The NVC-TT (and psu) is really good, perhaps more flexible. However, the SuperLine is so much better for SQ.

Hope that clarifies

Best wishes
R

6 Likes

My classic system is complete and needs no improvement. If anything I will lose the Superline/Supercap DR for a non-Naim phono stage that supports two inputs. The NDX2/XPSDR/252/SCDR/300DR are staying. They aren’t very old anyway. I don’t expect to change them. I’d rather upgrade my 9" tonearm and add another pair of RELs first. The New Classic are rather expensive in the U.S. anyway.

8 Likes

Thanks R - great to hear there is still some love for the ‘old’ stuff. I’ve decided to stick with mine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.