Not off to the best start

That makes total sense, I obviously got confused between the SNAIC and the DIN connections .The Naim world is all new to me seems I have some catching up to do but thank you for your advice will definitely take that on board for future reference. I just hope I haven’t inadvertently done some damage, I really hope not, listening to the system at the moment I don’t think so, fingers crossed.
Again many thanks.

1 Like

+1

1 Like

If this plug was missing is seems very likely that it’s because the dealer was using it with a Hicap which would make the system sound quite a bit better. Perhaps that’s why it didn’t sound so good when you got it home and used it without one?

2 Likes

Hi many thanks for your reply, totally understand your point with a balanced system, I had originally thought of an XS3/ND5XS2 but quickly realised that that would not do, I really like what the PMC’s do just need to work out a path to get to a more realistic target, maybe come down a size on the speakers could be an option, add a better source, definitely. A lot to take on board but I always thought this would be a longish process just need to work out the best route to achieve my goal, many thanks again.

1 Like

That sounds very sensible and I’m sure you’ll work it out. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

It is a complicated beast indeed. This may help a bit:

1 Like

Hi Suedkiez many thanks for forwarding the very comprehensive cable/connection link I certainly was not aware of the numerous different cable configurations that are available for Naim products, as I mentioned earlier this is a new world to me at the moment but I’m sure with some thought and helpful guidance I will get there in the end, sometimes the journey is the best part of the trip, again many thanks.

1 Like

Speakers (drivers and crossovers) generally do not ‘wear out’, and last for decades without deterioration except when damage is caused by, for example, using to low a power amp at maximum power (which may be maximum only on peaks), sending it into clipping, or a fault condition somewhere in the electronics causing oscillation at high power, or an unintended severe instantaneous pulse such as through in correct power-up/down sequence or changing connections whilst powered up. And if it sounds good with some music, not sounding good with other music is not a speaker fault as such.

Hi Innocent Bystander,I certainly hope you are correct, usually I’m very carful when making any connections trying to avoid any issues but these things can happen.
This may be purely coincidental ,that’s what I would like to hope. The new tweeters should arrive sometime early in the new year, it will be interesting to hear the difference.
I tend to be pessimistic in these situations always fearing the worst, lets hope it’s a simple fix, fingers crossed, many thanks for your reply.

NDX 2 plus Supernait 3: +2

1 Like

Before spending more money on parts/new equipment, I’d borrow your son’s XS2 again and put it into the system. At least eliminate the 202/200 first as the source of your problem.

Hi sktn77a,totally understand the reasoning behind your thinking but I have decided to correct the issue with the damaged tweeter first before taking any other action. The lack of another source doesn’t help so I think my son is going to bring round his turntable so we have another option to try and one that he knows will provide a flawless feed or at least one he is totally used to.
I will thoroughly check over the cross-overs and internal wiring just to be on the safe side. It’s early days there are lots to go at before I start throwing money around, I just need to start with the basics. Many thanks for your input much appreciated as have all the other comments made.
I will update the thread as things hopefully more forward.

Quick update to my situation at the moment…new tweeters arrived from PMC but before going any further I decided to remove the cross overs to have a closer look and double check for any further damage and this is what I discovered!!

Not good news!..this is what it should look like…

As you can see by the two images there is some serious damage to the cross over on the left channel, if you look closely at the image it looks like the capacitor below the three burnt/cracked resistors has split open which is definitely not good news.

So as you can guess there was no point going any further with fitting the new tweeter.

I contacted PMC ,supplying a series of photo’s showing the issue, they were very quick to respond, suggested I removed both of the cross overs, wrap them up and return them for further inspection/repair.

They have arrived at PMC just need to wait for an update from their findings, thankfully PMC say it is no issue getting them checked and repaired but my main concern now is what has caused the problem, do I have any further damage to the speakers (which PMC indicated that they can hopefully tell from the cross overs) maybe other units damaged, who knows?

Fingers crossed they will return and everything will be fine but I worry that this is not the end of the story. What seems really strange is how little the damage had affected the sound, only seeming to take out the top end, so I’m hopeful that the damage is confined to just the tweeter part of the cross over!..I live in hope?

The last thing that is bothering me is how long has it been faulty? and did it fail when hooked up to the Bryston or when we changed over to the Naim amp. Hopefully this will all become clearer when I hear back from PMC.
I really hope this ends well…not of to the best start. Indeed!! :pensive:.

2 Likes

Wow, good that you checked! Best of luck and keep us informed how it’s going please

As you’ll know these PMCs come with a 20 or is it 25 year warranty. So, assuming no over driving of them in a previous life, the fix should be covered by warranty.
I take it the cross overs were easy to remove and inspect? I too have a pair of 20.26s. And whilst I’ve had them from new, I have on occasions driven them hard. Albeit with a powerfull amp that is unlikely to clip ( more of any issue for the drivers, clipping).

Unless it’s caused by an external influence

Exactly. But intresting that only one is toast?

Yes, the whole story is very interesting - unfortunately for Silverback. (Reminds me of the apocryphal Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times)

1 Like

What a sorry sight that is, hope you get the crossovers back soon. Sounds like super service from PMC! Hope they can suggest a likely cause.

Hi Thegreatroberto, unfortunately I’m not the original owner but PMC may be sympathetic and repair them for a reasonable price?

I have never really understood why certain manufacturers do not allow their warranties to be transferable, surely it helps with residual values of their products which must be good for them and any customers!

Yes, the cross overs are very easy to remove, simple undue the ring of cap head bolts on the back panel then disconnect the internal wiring and they are out, brilliant idea.