Notre Dame on fire

I suspect that the collapse of the timber roof would result in a cauldron-effect fire within the building, encapsulated by the stone enclosure. This only serves to intensify the heat of the fire itself.
Yes, the stonework is likely to survive. It is relatively self-stable given it is, ironically, one of the earliest examples of flying buttresses.

An empty shell will probably be all that remains, apart from the two entrance towers.

I understand churches all over France are tolling bells in sympathy tonight.

1 Like

the left tower is saved too. The art works are saved too. The main structure is also saved.

2 Likes

the last images i can post in direct

1 Like

Looks very bad:

from what i understood, here are the photos of what have burned. It was very old, from the VIII century. So a big disaster of course.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not quite sure how this can be compared with 9/11. History notwithstanding, this is the destruction of wood and stone, not the deaths of hundreds of innocents. Some people really need to adjust their perspectives. Disgraceful.

10 Likes

You say you are more affected by the loss of a building more than the thousands of deaths and injuries suffered in the 9/11 tragedy!

Venerable as the building is (was), it will be restored to its former glory (or better) in due course. No such good fortune for the 2500+ who perished at the hands of the 9/11 terrorists though ā€¦

8 Likes

En fait, Fatcat, maintenant Ƨa nā€™existe plus :cry: ā€¦in fact, right now, there IS no other news !

1 Like

Notre Dame de Paris is like London Tower , for symbolic importance:

1 Like

the last execution by ā€œ guillotineā€ was in 1977, for Hamida Djandoubi.

The end of centuries of tradition ā€¦

2 Likes

ā€œthe last execution by ā€œ guillotineā€ was in 1977ā€ ā€¦Gosh, I donā€™t remember seeing that reported on any of the TV news channels. :thinking:

Very sad and dramatic, but no one injured it seems. It is a glorious building and location and I have been several times. I fear for the stained glass most-surely the lead will have melted and the glass lost.

A bit of perspective is reasonable. I received this news with considerable emotion but I know I should be more angry and sad about the rolling bloodshed, famine and poverty that is ongoing in Madagascar, Yemen and Sudan for example. The truth is that these are no longer newsworthy, and certainly not capable of providing arresting visuals on our screens. Such is the world.

In terms of reconstruction one of my first thoughts was to somehow harness modern crafts and skills to create more than just a new copy but something that respects and celebrates the original alongside new creativity that might be a joy to visitors for a further 850 years. Contentiously I think these buildings (and others like it) should now be thought of as historic but secular monuments. I note it is actually owned by the State not the Catholic Church. Maybe that should inform the reconstruction design?

Bruce

Guys, sorry if I have said something wrong. Let me please give a little explaination.

My comment was not made out of disrespect to live. It is actually made out of respect for life. I tried for a long time to understand human suffering / dead / life but the more I tried, the less I understood. When I thought about dead and suffering, there are certain happenings in history which are on such a scale that only a glimpse is too painful.

Agreeā€¦ been many times to Paris including honeymoon and stood outside the cathedral several times. I seriously regret now never managing the time to go inside :frowning:

:small_blue_diamond:ROBERT HARDMAN is among first witnesses inside ravaged Notre Dame.

/PederšŸ˜­

1 Like

Pretty surreal isnā€™t it:

How have those candles not melted?

Windsor Castle, or the part that burned down recently, was successfully restored.

If the French Gov is so inclined, and iā€™m sure they will be, this cathedral can be restored or re-developed. The original stonework and many of the artifacts should be capable of inclusion if that is what people want.

Despite the immediate pain and despair, look on the brightside. This could be an opportunity and iā€™m sure the international community will willingly provide support.

1 Like

One must also wonder why an all-seeing God didnā€™t spot the problem and dump some rain in the area ā€¦

3 Likes

Youā€™d have to ask that about all the misery, injustice and suffering in the world.

1 Like