Nova, bang for buck sweetspot?

I’m still new to Naim but I bought a Nova recently to drive my Neat SX7i’s based on a positive experience with my Atom in the kitchen, the Nova replaces some pretty good seperates and I must say that for music pleasure this combo is IMO awesome! Reading all the threads on upgrades have I just got a lot to learn or is the Nova somewhat of a sweetspot in the range, price considering of course? I am really really enjoying all genres of music on the Nova from hard rock to classical and everything in between, I’m currently of the opinion that if I just have this combo for ever I’ll be enjoying my music immensly and would have to spend flash car/house money to significantly improve? Opinions would be welcome

11 Likes

That’s what it’s all about. The Nova is a great bit of kit, that does punch above its weight. It’s nice to read of someone being happy and enjoying their music collection rather than continually looking for the next upgrade step.

Enjoy your system :+1:

11 Likes

Although I am into separates, I got a chance to listen to the Nova recently and I was thoroughly impressed with how I just enjoyed the music.

As for the upgrade path and whether one would go that route, I feel that many times the forum pressures people to upgrade. Satisfaction comes down to having your own priorities and objectives in check. Not everybody has the resources, space or desire to upgrade or add boxes. There will always be better, higher end, more expensive gear to buy and it is only for you to set your own “end game”.

Enjoy the fabulous Nova

11 Likes

If you want a bit more add a used full fat powerline and call it a day.:+1:

8 Likes

You are scratching the surface to true audio enjoyment there. The longer you just enjoy what you have the more pleasure you will get out of it.

There is always something better out there. Do what you do, enjoy your Nova. Upgrading just brings with it the idea of further upgrading. While having the discipline to have moments to just stick to something awesome and enjoying it brings so much more returns. IMO.

3 Likes

The forum will convince you to upgrade.

3 Likes

I might be unusual but I have never felt the pressure to upgrade on here. I came here with a wish to upgrade and received lots of good information on how to go about it, finally getting to a level that I like and can afford. If you have reached a level you like then stop there. It is true of course that like most things in life you can find better if you choose to spend more on your preferences, but need to upgrade? No.

7 Likes

Love the way you put it!

2 Likes

YES. Heard the Nova several times with some really good speakers including 505 and 606. Always really impressed and IF I had had a Nova at the outset I’m not sure that I’d have gone the separates route.

1 Like

I am currently grappling with the choice of going separates or just getting a Nova and being happy!

I’m worried because I will be very aware that the NDX2 will not be working to it’s full potential until it has a power supply which is considerably more money. Then add the pre amp supplies too. I just don’t want that many boxes.

I think your post might have helped me with my decision.

Enjoy the music……. and the lack of complication!

6 Likes

This.

3 Likes

I got an early Nova (after an early Atom) before NDX2 etc were available.

The whole Uniti series are phenomenal value for money in the Naim product lineup.

The NDX 2 is a better streamer, but I’d agree the PSU is probably needed for it to shine.

I currently use the Nova (future standalone system) as a source into an active 282/2x250/SBL system and it is very close to baseline NDX2 performance.

4 Likes

This is what I experience with my Atom. I am kind of worried about losing that.

1 Like

The Nova and SU before it really are special. I used the SU exclusively for a couple years and only upgraded b/c of a great deal I got. The Nova/SU with powerlines on a well sorted network produces quality hifi that is quite satisfying.

5 Likes

I tend to agree. I have a Nova in the lounge and a NDX2/555PS/252/250. Whilst the later is much more refined and dynamic the Nova is very enjoyable and I’d happily have it as my main system if downsizing or as a single system for that budget.

4 Likes

That’s my experience exactly and I’d describe my Nova as an Atom on steroids!

1 Like

I downsized from a five box system.

Ended up with a Nova, very pleased :smiley: now I have added a Power- line. It improves performance by 10-15% .

8 Likes

I have a Nova and a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica Nova IVs. A large price-tag imbalance but it works well for me! I have no plan to upgrade. The Nova(s) arrived when I ditched the previous olive series system with CD-3 and Credos which are still happily working in a second system. Enjoy, contentment and Hi-Fi are rare soul-mates.

6 Likes

iNTERESTED IN YOUR SPEAKER CHOICE. i AM CURRENTLY CONTEMPLATING oLYMPICA nOVA 3 VS 5. aNY EXPERIENCE LISTENING TO THOSE?

I see you say you have Olympica Nova vi. I thought they had 1,2,3 and 5.

2 Likes

I am very happy with my Nova and have no urge to upgrade. Before the Unitis came out I had olive CDS2/ XPS/NAT03/52/supercap/135s but have no wish to travel that route again!
In the Naim dem room I heard Nova versus 272/250 driving wardrobe size Focals. Yes the separates were better but not by enough to justify the extra cost and aggravation in my opinion. I am enjoying my music more than ever and streaming means I am listening much more to a wider range rather than obsessing over comparing the cymbal decay on my 15 pressings of the same album.
Of course this is very much a personal thing and I had my spell of hifi nerdery. This is an enthusiasts’ forum and it seems to me to be churlish to complain about people who want to get deep into it as a hobby. I enjoy the debates but don’t get upset about the differing approaches.

12 Likes