Nova or Supernait

Yes, the latter option is one I’d certainly consider. I’d also need a DAC, I think, if I were to keep my Zenith in the set up as streamer and server.
Thanks.

Assuming funds allow the NAC282 + HiCap DR would be a great choice.
Do you still have your Chord DAC? Could you put that between your Innuos server and a preamp?

Funds do fortunately allow, but I’d have to add a Qutest (I sold mine last year) or an RME, perhaps.

Just to clarify, the 282 is a standalone preamp?

2 Likes

You’d get a NAPSC with the NAC 282, you also need to put at least 1 HiCap DR between the NAC and your NAP 250 as below.

You can add a second HiCap or even a SuperCap, the purpose of the SuperCap being as an intermediary step towards replacing the NAC 282 with a NAC 252 which requires a SuperCap for power.

3 Likes

I have just today demo’d 1) the Atom; 2) the Nova; 3) SN3 + Lumin T2; 4) SN3 + ND5XS2; 5) SN3 + NDX2. All with Dynaudio Special Forty speakers, as this is what the dealer had. Streaming tracks through Tidal only.

1. Atom. Love this little thing. So lively, so musical, just enough bass to enjoy, just enough depth. Glad I’ve got one in the dining room.

2. Nova. Bigger, thicker sound, more grip. Very good match for the Special Fortys. Got one eye on getting the Nova to drive PMC 25.24s and I think it would be capable. Bass is good and everything is well controlled. Fair soundstage for the money, I’d say.

3. SN3 + Lumin T2. I immediately missed the Naim sound, the Lumin was not for me with the SN3 at least. Distinct lack of good ole prat. Too thin, not musical enough.

4. SN3 + ND5XS2. An improvement to my mind on the Lumin, which is amazing given there is a fair price difference. Started to see what the SN3 was really about. BUT, IMO not better or worse than the Nova, just different. Lighter on bass and less authority. More delicate touch. Between this and the Nova, I think I preferred the Nova but it was close.

5. SN3 + NDX2. Superb. Would have bought it immediately if I had the funds. Quite easily the best combo but no surprises given the cost and spec. How much better than the Nova and the ND5XS2, quite a lot. This is a sound I could listen to for hours and hours. The soundstage was very good but not crazily out there. Way more depth than all of the others, particularly on vocals. Control of bass a class above.

Hope that helps… I’m faced now with the decision between a “budget” option in the Nova (second hand GBP3000) or waiting, saving and going for the incredible SN3 + NDX2 (if I can get NDX2 second hand, about GBP7500 together) to drive either the PMC 25.24s (which I loved following a previous demo) or Dynaudio Special Fortys.

12 Likes

That’s a very nice write up, clear and concise. I have the NDX2 and Supernait 3, having downsized from a bigger setup and I think it’s great. I tried the Nova but didn’t really take to it in either form or sound. I have a power supply on my NDX2, which is a nice option to have, even if you never actually get one.

Based on my experience, and your listening session, I’d save and get the NDX2/SN3. It is a really nice system.

6 Likes

Extremely helpful, I think I will do just that and lookout for a deal on the SN3 NDX2, really believe in you get what you pay for and for me it should be a great combo for my Neat SX7’s as I want to keep them, to throw a spanner in the works doea anyone know how different a SN2 will be to a 3? The reason I ask is I won’t be uising the phono stage in the 3 as I have MC cartridges.

2 Likes

Appreciate your thoughts and efforts to share with us.
Much like HH, I have a SN3 + NDX2 and can’t argue with your findings on this occasion.
I’d be inclined to ride your time and aim for the SN3 + NDX2, not to diminish the capability of the other options you outline but as you’ve found, that source and NAIT together deliver a whole lot of the Classic range with a manageable footprint and within arms reach purchase price.
Factor in for cabling and setting also in your planning, in my case I’m using a HiLine DIN IC, Powerline AC cords and full Fraim rack to sit it all on, those system tuning items do bring a balance in to the system as a whole and over time will add further refinements as your system develops.

4 Likes

I’ve owned all of the Supernait versions, having most recently moved from a SN2 + HiCap DR to a bare SN3. They are similar but the main distinction I would make between the SN2 and SN3 is that the SN3 has more midrange cohesion and the bottom end has a bit more grip. These are things which were improved on the SN2 by adding a HiCap DR in my case.
I traded in multiple Naim kit to get my NDX2 to replace an ND5 XS2, I felt the jump up to the NDX2 warranted the loss of the HiCap DR and I’ve not added one to my SN3, I’m more likely to add a PS to the NDX2.

2 Likes

Brilliant, question well and truly answered!

There’s a recent discussion on this very question which you may find helpful.
I think you are wise to seriously consider the SN3 + NDX2.
No surprises - it my system and I run it with PMC 25.23s and it sounds glorious. I think you are asking a good question to also then consider whether the SN2 might get you close to this for less money.
(Apologies if I’ve not managed to link to the relevant thread above)
1GL

2 Likes

Nice write up! If you go for the separate route you might still consider the ND5XS2 with a used nDAC for the time beeing. It should be around 2000 pounds less than the NDX2, which does not seem to pop up second hand as often as it did a year ago. I missed buying one from a dealer at around 3500 last year :slight_smile:

For me this would the way to go if 1) you want to connect another source (maybe a cd player) 2) do not need a screen 3) don t want to get tempted by a PS upgrade.

1 Like

Can you write what speaker / power cables were connected to the set? The right cables can completely change the perception of a set and let it sound the way it can. For me, the change of cables was comparable to the change of Atom-> Nova, and maybe even bigger (both with the Atom and the Nova).

For me, the Nova started to sound nice after a few weeks of warming up with better power cables.

Only a matter of time before someone pips in that the nDAC only really “shines” with a 555PS hanging off the back of it, but yes, options are available!
What I would say is that I’ve used Supernait’s with lots of different DAC’s over the years, there’s something very synergistic between the SN3 + NDX2, they do indeed pair very well, and whilst there’s more to be had leaping beyond that to a Pre/Power setup, you get a lot of bang for not so much cash and a lot less power and space.
I was determined to run it as a 2 box system for at least a year to get to know what it could get to properly. I’d admit that the NDX2 is probably happiest with an XPS DR driving it and for added indulgence a PS555 takes that somewhat further, but it does a very good job with neither of them much as the SN3 does without a HiCap DR. I think the SN2 benefits from a HiCap and I certainly used one on mine all the time I had it, I also used one on a NAIT XS and XS 2, more variable results to be had there in my case but then the XS won’t keep up with a Supernait in many aspects of presentation.
I would also add that if budget is constrained, get the NDX2 first and worry about the amplification as a secondary step.
I sort of wish I’d done this with hindsight, I faffed about with a few options from Chord and an ND5 XS2, ultimately the NDX2 did the best job for me and is a definite keeper.

4 Likes

My thoughts entirely (NDX2 first), I’m looking for one in stock which I’ll run with existing amp (s) then decide on either SN3 or pre/power.

Fantastic entry. You’ve totally answered my nagging question or worry. I have an Atom with a Nova supposed shipped this week. But in the wait here I’ve been mulling this exact question. And I will never get a turntable. I doubt I get a Cd player, my entire library was lost in a hurricane. So streaming, and no desire to board the upgrade carousel, I’m going to ride with your evaluation. Thank you for taking the time to write such a through essay.

Yes a sound choice and it’ll work quite nicey with a NAIT XS, the nice thing being you can then do a trade in on the XS and replace it with a Supernait or something more fancy as your appetite and wallet allows.
It’ll sit comfortably upto a 252/300 level and and with an external PS like an XPS DR can be refined further still with steps up in amplification capability.
As a footnote I tried a Super lumina DIN IC on the current SN3 + NDX2 setup and ended up back with a HiLine IC in the end. Factoring for powerlines for AC input and a suitable rack (Fraim an obvious choice) also help add polish and refinement as you go.

2 Likes

Sure, the speaker and power cables were Synergistic Research Atmosphere X. Witch Hat interconnects.

Doesn’t the Selekt also have Linn’s room correction software as well? I demo’d one when they first came out and can’t quite remember.