Nova Screen Display - Issue?

Generaly if a unit is to be RMA’d it has to go back before you get the replacement - as a goodwill gesture I’d hope that could either be dispensed with by agreement with Naim or that the dealer could loan you a demo model in the interim - supply issues may make this tricky but you’ve forked out $4-5k for a Nova and shouldn’t be without a working one for long.

1 Like

Small update…both times it failed, it was around 3 days apart.

Last time was last Tuesday.

I then unplugged again, left it overnight…and when replacing the power cord on the Wednesday, it made a loud click as it went into place.

I don’t recall it doing that before, and when I read the Powerline thread, it was very clear that you needed the click to be fully connected.

Given that it’s now 5 days since the last screen fail…I’m hoping that I could be in the clear? Could that really have simply been the lead not fully in?

Bit of a quandary now, as it’s working OK…but I don’t want a nasty surprise down the line if I call off the replacement.

Spoke too soon…its back tonight!

Back to plan A…

Drat, needs replacing I think.

1 Like

Definitely,

It’s becoming more frequent now - whereas it would be okay for a few days, it’s now doing it every other day, sometimes more.

Going to speak to the dealer tomorrow - left it with them last Wednesday, and will have given them a couple of days after the Christmas opening up to (hopefully) have made a little progress…

Update from the dealer today.

Problem has been registered, and an replacement unit is being organised. I was told that for new stock , it’s pretty much a 6-8 week wait - but replacements are prioritised, and so will (hopefully) be with them in a couple of weeks. Can’t fault that!

What I didn’t know, is that the making of the screens is outsourced?

2 Likes

Even Apple outsource their screen manufacture (well everyone does actually).

1 Like

Ah right! I had no idea. I’m not fussed, as long as the outsouce a working one!

1 Like

It would never be economical (probably not even viable) for Naim to attempt to make their own displays, and presumably they use a standard readilly available one which meets required specs or have someone manufacturing a bespoke display which would be more expensive.

2 Likes

Had notice from the dealer yesterday, my replacement Nova will be with me tomorrow.

Got everything crossed for this one…!

2 Likes

Quick update - all set up this evening.

Don’t want to tempt fate, as the last one was okay for a few days before the problem kicked in…!

One thing to add, I’m sure this one sounds a lot better than the last one - wider, fuller…all the set-up is exactly the same. I’m sure I’m not imagining this…it sounds what I was expecting when I upgraded from the Atom. Weird!

1 Like

Same firmware?

Not sure…it did an update when I turned it on.

I thought I was imagining it at first…the more things I try, I’m convinced it is a lot better out of the box than the last one.

Previous one sounded very ‘boxy’, not very open. Although I knew it was being replaced, I still lived with it for almost a month…and even then, it was the same. Thought it may burn in, it never did.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.