Nova with Sopra No2?

Sorry, hard disagree there. Since 2011 Focal speakers and Naim electronics have been designed to work together, with R&D teams working in close collaboration. It is far from being just a commercial relationship. It works at every level - such as the Mu-so 2nd Generation having Focal-optimised speaker drivers.

I had Naim Ovator speakers and chose Focal Sopra 2 because they were far better, IMO - this is years before i worked here.

5 Likes

Nigel I don’t think I would describe Scalas as excruciatingly bright but wouldn’t be my choice. But the Sopras are way different, very musical.

Regards,

Lindsay

I’ve spent time with the Sopra 1 and I thought they were screamingly bright too. I didn’t see any birds fall from the sky but it may well have happened. I’ve heard that the Kantas have been toned down and are a much better match for Naim.

I’d expect Clare to disagree of course. The companies may be working together but if so, they seem to be focussing more on hifi pyrotechnics than on making enjoyable, natural sounding music. The sound may be impressive at shows but it sure isn’t something I’d want at home.

My point is i’m not disagreeing for the obvious reasons that I’m employed by Focal and Naim - I spent my own money on Sopra 2 (and a ton of Naim kit) many years before I got the job here, because to me they sounded incredibly musical - and still do, many electronics update later. At the time, I could have chosen any brand, and widely auditioned many speakers, including at home.

But experiences may vary - which is why auditioning (ideally at home. not at a show), is so important. We’re all different humans; one size does not fit all!

22 Likes

Maybe it’s (just) a question of taste.

Of all my audiophile experience, I do acknowledge that my personal taste tends for the English school of speakers, in opposition of Danish for example. And the Danish do better tweeters. ( normally more refined and open).
However as an all , I do prefer English.

@anon4489532 , I think in this case you should trust @Naim.Marketing , because her argument is valid. Else would be hipocrisy.
She could simply not make a statement If in disagreement

1 Like

How would you explain or prefer: some English speakers use Danish tweeters while some Danish speakers use English tweeters.?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Not specifically a brand or model. You and I know that are hybrids . Even the so called British speakers, are made in China. ( another variable).

But in terms of compromise and design there are effective difference in school of thought.

I prefer the British.( But there are also faults.)

So I guess Kanta 2 is a safer bet with Nova? May go that way instead. Also saves a lot of cash.

The Kanta 2 is a very capable speaker and a much more suitable match to a nova. You can go higher up the range and not find the kantas outclassed.

1 Like

You won’t regret it - it’s a superb combo. Then you can start saving for an NDX 2 and Supernait 3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think what the exchanges above show is that personal tastes in music reproduction differ hugely. I could relate my experience of Focal Sopras with Naim (closer to HH than Clare) but I don’t have your ears, so you really need to use them to select your speakers.

You are looking to drop more than £16k on a hifi system. For that sum, I’d want to start auditioning some price-competitive systems, even if that has to be at a dealer’s. This assumes dems are available where you live and you’re prepared to wait till lockdown eases, if that’s relevant.

Roger

My ideal two piece system …

3 Likes

My Naim dealer was recommending the pairing of Focal speakers with Naim amps well before the merger happened. And he has put his money where his mouth is when it comes to own system. I’ve found the pairing very pleasing for many years.

Back to the original question, though, I’ve heard Sopra 2s many times, and have home-demoed them. I’ve heard the Sopra 2s powered by a 250.2, 250DR and 300DR. The step up in performance when driven by the 300DR was blindingly obvious. While the Nova might drive them (they are very efficient), you won’t be getting anywhere near the Sopra’s real potential, which seems a bit of a waste. So like some other contributors to this thread my advice would be, unless you plan to significantly upgrade the Nova in future years, I’d get some Focal’s better suited to the Nova. I’ve heard the Kanta 2s, too and think they are very good. In my view the Nova 2 and Kanta 2s would be an excellent match.

5 Likes

Sopra 2 with 300DR, very happy with them and they are not bright at all, nowhere near!!

8 Likes

I’d suggest you consider going straight to the NDX2 and SN3 with the Kanta. They are much better and you won’t lose money on selling the Nova later. It’s also easier to get a good deal if you buy it all together.

If the Nova gets Kanta to satisfying levels, I’d prefer a 1 box system and keep things elegant. It’s liberating to just have 1 box given the sacrifices.

1 Like

Fair enough, but do remember it’s not just about satisfying levels. It’s about an immersive, natural performance. That’s where the difference between the Nova and the separates start to show, and that’s what costs the money. Those things are important to me anyway.

3 Likes

Completely understand as I come from separates.

I think you may have had 1 Horlicks too many :joy:

1 Like

Nova / Kanta +1 here. :chicken: