Nova with Sopra No2?

Nova is a belter, I have one and the difference between NDX2/SN3 whilst there was not as big as I expected. The location was not ideal, on a wooden cabinet and stacked with std cables. Nova has a powerline. Speakers are ATC SCM7 so not particularly high end but quite revealing.

The problem maybe that they are both very different to my main system, the Nova is great and I love it but my main system is so far removed its not a fair comparison. The Nova plays music really well, the main system makes music without any feeling of the black boxes doing a thing. Its actually a very different experience for me.

With that all said I decided that for me the difference between an NDX2/SN3 was not worth the money as they both played music really well and neither ‘made music’ The Nova felt like it was almost there so I went with that one. The difference to me, my ears, room, compromised positioning etc would have been worth it for a main system but not for my office.

Both are very musical and will have you captivated I am sure. As daft as it sounds maybe try some Superlumina cables on the Nova or NDX/SN combo. I did and they really sounded good. I use A5 on the Nova but borrowed the SL from the Main system just to see! SL cables and Kanta maybe…

1 Like

Here are my two cents.

The guy i bought my Vertere MG-1 MKII from had this combo.

Before we packed up the turntable, we had a listen and i have to say, it sounded pretty nice at lower levels, but then got a wee bit stressing, when we turned volume up. He said, that if he got the space, he had a SN3 and a NDX2 with a XPSDR, but that won’t fit in his lowboard.

He was also the guy, who got me into Naim, because he used to work at the dealer, from where i got the rest of my gear.

A better match for the Nova is the mentioned Kanta No.2, i own them and they do also scale very nice with higher end equipment.

2 Likes

If the OP has decided that a Nova is his choice, and why not a superb piece of kit, then I think he should at least demo it with both the Kantas and Sopras. If he intends to stick with the Nova then I just think it makes sense to exploit with the best speaker that works in his environment. It might well be that the Nova/Kanta to his ears makes a better sound but he owes it to himself to find out.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

@Naim.Marketing given the old Naim-Linn source first philosophy which one do you recommend?

Only one of these 2 choices are available to a buyer (we cannot combine any other)

282/250DR with NDX2 and focal such as the Chora 826?

or a Nova with a Sopra 2?

I’d go with choice (a), and start planning a speaker upgrade as soon as funds allowed (though you may be surprised how good the Choras sound!)

3 Likes

@Naim.Marketing

I have heard the Chora 826 at my dealer and I agree with you, it sounded really good, if I was in the market for a speaker, I would buy it !

I liked the front ported design, the slightly angled tilt, and also the bass coming out of it quite good. The midrange was also clear and enjoyable.

1 Like

Hi Clare, given ur long experience having sopra 2 and naim system, may i seek ur opinion on following -

I own a full 500 series (all DR) with uniti core n sopra 2. Would it be a good choice to upgrade to scala evo? Or i shld just stick to my sopra 2? Im enjoying current setup but got the itch to upgrade my speakers aft having recently upgraded to full 500 system.

1 Like

If I had the cash, it’d be my next upgrade, that’s for sure. Scala’s also sound phenemonal powered by Statement, so you’re sorted for future amp upgrades, too!

1 Like

The Scala Evo are phenomenal…every time I’ve heard them I have always been impressed…

2 Likes

Nearly two years ago I swapped 252/300 all DR for unDRed 552/500. Sorted my itch out, and I musicians in the room now! The Sopra 2s don’t obviously hold back 500 series but Scala Evo probably better if you like the look. I like my black Sopras.

Phil

2 Likes

And don’t ignore the Sopra 3. Physically bigger than the Sopra 2 (noticeably so when seen in the flesh), the Sopra 3s deliver more scale and bottom end. I also found them to work better than the Sopra 2s at low to moderate volume levels where they maintained their delightful vitality.

All depends if your room can handle the Scala Evo. It’s the main question.

Agree regarding Sopra -2 vs. 3. Had both. Now with 500 system and Sopra3

1 Like

I’m a (relatively) old naimist, but rather new on Focal.
Am I right on my perception that within each Focal speakers range, models are organized to suit the size of the room in which they will be playing:

• up to 20 m2 for Kanta 1 and Sopra 1;
  • between 20 and 40 m2 for Kanta 2 and Sopra 2
  • and between 40 m2 up to 80 m2 for Kanta 3 and Sopra 3?

So, the task seems to be choosing the right speaker with the right amp, but also given the size of the room.
Could distinguished Focalists of the forum confirm my understanding?
Thank you in advance!

I agree with you on that. But a lot will disagree. Just a matter of time to read contrary opinions.
Some here run full range speakers in 20m2, and need after a lot of room treatment…

1 Like

Thanks all for your feedback on your opinions. :blush:

[

Talked to our local shop. They are pretty highly regarded. They told me Kanta 2 is a perfect fit for Nova. Kanta 3 may add a bit more bass but less than 5% of noticeably sonic difference. He says use the extra money and get a dedicated sub instead. We have a 45 m2 living space.

He said Sopra 2 or 3 will sound great on the Nova and will scale with better gear, but significant diminishing returns kicks in.

I have sopra n2 and they are excellent with 300dr and they are 4 feet from front wall 7f apart with toe in. I also have gik bass 244 panels behind each speaker… happy days.

2 Likes

One of the items I’ve taken home from the store during the current lockdown is a SuperNait 3.
SuperNait 3 is very special which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed using and listening to with an NDX 2 over the last six weeks.

4 Likes

This thread is sponsored by Focal

4 Likes