NPX 300 with NSC 222 now or wait for separates?

It was a safe choice and necessary to release it as it compliments the NSC 222, the fact it’s labelled as a 300 Series PSU hints at what it’s ultimately intended for, namely to power a range of devices and for Naim to be able to simplify their upgrade options, today you have the NAPSC, HiCap, Supercap, XPS, 555PS and so on.
Having one PSU that can power both a source and an amplifier is a positive and likely where it’ll land.
What isn’t entirely clear is if the current NPX TT will be the cheaper 200 Series PSU and also power devices in that range, as you point out correctly, it’s not a cheap “accessory” and looking at someone coming from say an Atom or a Nova or older NAC/NAP system, it’s a big leap up from where for example the HiCap sits in the Old Classic range, both in terms of price and functionality.

1 Like

Steve confirmed somewhere in the big thread that the current solstice ps cannot power a 222

For sure if not familiar with Naim’s thinking around power and it’s clean supply paying as much for this as the actual streamer/pre is bonkers.
The context is if you wanted to do that with classic range the streamer PSU would be £4499 and pre PSU would be £1699 so £6198 in total compared to £5700 for NPX300, arguably reasonably priced - god did I just say that out loud!

Yes that is the case, but he also mentioned it would be rebadged as a 200 Series PSU as opposed to a Solstice Series, to power who knows what!

It will be the New Classic HiCap - its roughly HiCap size…!!!

Makes sense for it to follow that logic, an entry level psu at almost 6k is a bit of a stretch so the NPX TT would do that one would assume.
What isn’t obvious to me is how new PSU’s may relate to new preamps. Today we have HiCap and SuperCap (working on most amps including 202/282/252/Supernait) and at 500 Series dedicated series PSU’s.

I think all the new PSU’s will be more like the XPS - than the HiCap or Supercap.

I imagine that an “NPX200” would have the same outputs as the NPX300 - but just ‘smaller’…?

Isn’t the NPX300 classified as a suitable for digital sources - which the NSC222 effectively is. So has an output for analogue and an output for digital circuits. A pre would, I assume (hah!) just require a supply for analogue circuits, which is what the Solstice PSU provides?

[edit: I think the “Type 3” and “Type 4” terminology might start to make more sense with the release of future components? Plus this post:

Only the one burndy connector on the Solstice PSU, plus a DIN8

]

Who doesn’t want to feel silly
I thought there were only seven dwarfs ?

Blockquote

Volume control, alps pot out and reed relay in.
Perhaps the signal path and control circuits get driven independently so a NPX 300 would just feed a preamp using both burndies one handling controls and the other handling amplification.
I’m guessing with that but worth a thought.
NPX TT, not sure if that can power a digital source or not to be honest without checking what rails and voltages it supports, it’s clearly not designed purely to power a turntable that a tiny number of people actually own.

1 Like

Wow full value on trade in! That’s a great deal definitely helps soften the blow. Really hoping I get a good trade in offer later this year but we shall see.

The NPX300 has burndy connections:

Type 3 (analog)
2x +/- 22V

Type 4 (“digital”)
+5V
+10V
+15V

So these are slightly analogous to a NPSC and a HICAP for a 282, as you say a control feed and an amplifier feed.

Internally the 222 has 18V regulators providing power to phono stages via 8 pin DIN. I presume future pre separates might have same (unlike SCDR to 252 which provides a direct feed from PSU to phono).

On the new classic thread naim indicated this PSU was designed to power future components. You can see where they are going.

What about a nac382 with a mains driven PSU, NPX as an upgrade. nac352 with NPX mandatory…

if 300 series is 252, 300, nds styleeeeee. then there wont be a psu in the streamer as per naim sources for the last million years.

my guess is the npx300 x2, pre, streamer, x2 monos is the system below 500

adding to this…i suspect there wont be anything like a hicap moving forward. if nothing else to simplify things

1 Like

Small correction: Digital voltages of NPX300 are only + (that’s why NPX300 cannot power the devices with the PCM1704 DAC). The +5V line is for the standby control of the power supply as far as I can tell.

I would expect that the future analogue preamps will now be fed by the +/-22V rails compared to the +24V rails of the yesteryear. And the “digital” side of the PS is used for the control etc. So the NPX TT cannot power any of the devices that we expect soon. Maybe a future tuner? :grin:

I’ve summarised the voltages of various Naim PS below. Make what you wish out of it.

PS Voltages Total pins Type Function
NAPSC +18.5V 2 Digital
Flatcap +24V 0.2, +24V 0.2, ch1, ch2, -ve 5 5 pin DIN Analogue
Hicap +24V 0.3, +24V 0.3, ch1, ch2, -ve 5 5 pin DIN Analogue
SuperCap +24V 0.3, +24V 0.3, ch1, ch2, -ve 5 5 pin DIN Analogue
SuperCap +24V x13,+12V x2, ch1, ch2, -ve 18 Burndy 19 way (18 pins) Analogue
SuperCap SNAIC 5 Digital
552PS Burndy Analogue
552PS SNAIC 5 Digital
XP5-XS ±10V 0.2, ±22V 0.2, +15V 0.6, +15V 1.5, GND x 4, GND Chassis 11 S-XPS Burndy 19 way (11 pins) Digital
XPS ±10V 0.2, ±22V 0.2, +15V 0.6, +15V 1.5, GND x 4, GND Chassis 11 S-XPS Burndy 19 way (11 pins) Digital
555PS ±10V 0.2, ±22V 0.2, +12.5V, +15V 0.6, +15V 1.5, GND x 5, GND Chassis 13 Burndy 1 19 way (13 pins) Digital
555PS ± 22V, ± 22V, ± 22V, GND 7 Burndy 2 19 way (7 pins) Analogue
NPX-TT ±18V 0.3, GND 3 Type 1: 8 pin DIN Analogue
+5V 0.2, +22V 0.3, GND, GND Dig 4 Type 2: 12 way connector (5 pins) Analogue
NPX-300 +5V 0.2, ±22V 0.4, ±22V 0.4, GND x 2, GND Dig 8 Type 3: 12 way connector (10 pins) Analogue
+5V 0.2, +10V 0.37, +10V 0.37, +15V 0.15, +15V 1.1, GND x 4 9 Type 4: 23 way connector (16 pins) Digital
1 Like

I was just editing that as your reply arrived :laughing:

When you see the plethora of voltages which naim have needed over the years a simplification makes a lot of sense.

It also makes me wonder whether there will actually be two preamps coming or just one. Perhaps the nac3xx will be it below 552/statement.

I need to go talk to someone in the know. Whilst not in the market I’m still interested in future offerings.

1 Like

I think the new preamps will be the most interesting products overall, what I can’t quite pin down is the ranging split, it seems logical to have a dedicated 200 and 300 Series preamp, how those are powered and what power amp options align beyond the new NAP 250 also is exciting to see materialise.
The entry level for some time now in Old Classic has been the NAC 282, with the 202 and 155 XS long departed.
So what they do at that level and how that sits with the PS options is where a lot of people will be paying close attention.
It’s why I thought it a good option to add a NC NAP 250 and NPX 300 to my SN3 and NDX 2 respectively, upgrades in their own right and almost certainly perfect partners for any NC preamps down the road.

It’s good see Upgraditis is alive and kicking Naim must be thrilled.

Can’t actually afford any of it of course :rofl::partying_face:

2 Likes

I find It’s always better to spend someone else’s money anyway.

2 Likes

Notwithstanding the fact that no one has the slightest idea if anything will sound better than what they currently have.

2 Likes