Obscure British audio companies

Whest Audio make very nice phono stages.

I had a Lynwood phono stage in the mid nineties. I think possibly it was upgradeable with a power supply though I just had the one box.

Yannis Tome is another small cable manufacturer - based in Wales. Have one of theirs hooked up to my Graham Slee phono stage :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the 70s I worked at a hifi dealer and sold many Jeremiah Braithwaite MC preamps. A made up name IIRC designed by Stan Curtis.

I also use a yannis tome interconnect between phono stage and pre. Truly excellent cable for both sound and vfm.

2 Likes

Anyone remember Moth amps, I had the phono stage at one time and used to listen to their amps through pair of pentacord speakers.

13 Likes

For a long time I fed my LP12 into a Nytech 252 then into Heybrook HB1s. Fabulous!!

The Nytech is still in the attic and a friend has the HB1s. ( I hope)

nytech-ca-252

9 Likes

I had a Nytech receiver myself. Excellent sound, but dubious reliability. Fast repair service though. It seems that Nytech are born again: https://www.nytechaudio.com/

2 Likes

That’s the one, great amp. The left channel gave up the ghost after several years. Took into Redford hIfi in Bristol who took fright at the circuitry. The cost of repairing was prohibitive.

Thank you for that. They are in a difficult and probably shrinking market, they are going to have to be good for ÂŁ3K for a shoebox integrated. Just looked in my file, I paid ÂŁ184 new for my 252. Mid 80s.

According to some online inflation calculators my ÂŁ184 should be about ÂŁ700 today.

Radford Revival must be one of those obscure and not often talked about British audio companies despite the fact they are building exact copies of the illustrous STA15/25 amplifiers.

2 Likes

Didn’t Redford become Sondex (solid state) and Woodside (valve)?

I’d like to nominate Sugden. A friend at University in the late '70’s ran the Sugden A48 amp (also known as the “Ugly Frog” in classic 1970’s orange and brown colours ) into some Rogers LS3/5a, with a Revox A77 as the source. It all sounded superb. I can’t recall what the original source might have been for the tapes he played on the Revox. I did hear the Sugden A21 amplifier a few years back and it still had the open spacious “Sugden sound”, although bit lacking in dynamics and ability to go loud for my taste.

7 Likes

I have their CPA402 power amp - wonderful grip with clean detail and power in a shoebox size.

9 Likes

Not sure Richard but I have read that John Widgery designed both the Sondex S230 and the STA 25 Renaissance amplifiers.

1 Like

Hah, awesome, I do remember them. Stan Curtis has a web page with some background (I won’t link to it as possibly commercial, but easy enough to find :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Not exhaustive but a bit of list of those that, AFAIK, are still going.

NJC Audio - DACS/headphone amps.
Kralk Audio - speakers
Temple Audio - amplifiers.
Tisbury Audio
Crimson Electronics
Nytech Audio
Code-acoustics - active speakers.

Possibly not so obscure
Sugden
Njord Acoustics
Edwards Audio - amps and TTs
Rogers - part of Edwards Audio/Talk Electronics
BK Electronics - do OEM stuff too.
SME
Graham
Graham Slee
Russ Andrews
Avid
Nottingham Analogue
Ophidian Audio
Wilmslow Audio
Falcon Acoustics.

To the best of my knowledge, those listed above manufacture most, if not all of their products in the UK.

Clearly there are the more ‘household’ names such as Cyrus, Naim, Neat, Proac, Spendor, Meridian, ATC ,Rega et al.

1 Like

I remember being told by Richard Hay (formerly of Radford, Nytech, Ion Systems ) that the only time Arthur Radford earned any money was when he licensed Woodside to brand their cd player as Radford. A friend of mine still has a Radford amp. with sliding volume controls. It has exploded twice. No exaggeration, on both occasions flames and smoke were significant.

1 Like

The Nytech CA352 is rather good as well!

I also have an Ion Systems (formerly Nytech) Obelisk 2 (original fascia) and an Obelisk 3 (new fascia). Lovely sounding amps.

5 Likes

There’s a fairly obscure British Audio Company located near me (no, not Chord Electronics…:wink: ) called The Bespoke Audio Company. Their products are almost more works of art than electronics…

1 Like