Obstruction of Public Pavements - is it a criminal offence?

As a worried member of society, ring that doorbell and tell the folks that you are afraid of elderly people tripping over it et cetera and see what happens.

As a first step calling the police for this is a very effective step to permanently damage your own status in the area you live in.

It’s just not the way even when it’s a criminal offense.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s not your way, but it is most definitely mine. As for my status, well not that I give a monkeys what anyone here thinks of me, but I would hope that people would applaud me for doing the right thing. Even though they are too lazy, indifferent, selfish etc. etc.to bother themselves.

1 Like

Well in my experience, put a big smile on the face and ask politely is very effective. I think you make it too difficult for especially yourself.

3 Likes

Really?

If you were that worried about injuries to third parties, did you stay by the hazard to warn others? Or did you walk past, go home and phone 999?

7 Likes

Bricks and cars parked on the pavement is not something I’d ring the police about, but it’s definitely a legal issue. People are a pia when it comes to bending or ignoring rules. I’m a runner and if you are, you’ll know obstacles are a nuisance and actually pretty dangerous. I’m constantly having to step onto the road with a quick look behind me to check for cars. Perhaps I’ll make a wrong judgement one day?

If I wanted to be an equal pia, I could ‘run’ into the pile of bricks, knock on the door of the idiots and I’d very easily and confidently make a few grand one evening. Perhaps these people need to be taught a lesson?

As it is, the council who’s in charge of the roads should have been informed. They’re in charge of pavements too.

1 Like

In my town it’s not allowed to block pavements, but a temporary permit for construction works is defo possible.

1 Like

When I served as a magistrate I saw many cases that would otherwise have been successfully prosecuted collapse due to various failures by the police. These included failing to follow correct legal procedure, inconsistencies in evidence reported by police officers, failing to procure easily available evidence in a timely manner for presentation to the court, amongst others.

Whilst it taught me to on the one hand to have a great deal of respect for people who do an extremely difficult, demanding and often dangerous job it also left me in no doubt about the very real failings of the police. This often resulted in obviously guilty people walking away absolutely free and sticking two fingers up at justice.

2 Likes

Yes. As I said, I did the right thing.

1 Like

Is the pavement at the side of a road actually a public path.

A public footpath is usually a path across fields etc.

A temporary permit would require taping off the area and/or coned. No way is blocking something allowed without some form of protection. A skip is big and painted bright before anyone chips in.

I do not disagree, having been part of that process myself, but what has that got to do with you phoning 999 for a pile of bricks in your way?

2 Likes

So the welfare of others wasnt your priority?

1 Like

1 Like

Okay, in any case… The police have to prioritize what tasks they have to tackle, as their resources are not enough for everything and I think a pile of bricks is probably very far down that list…

1 Like

Sorted Bricks away!

4 Likes

Everything. It is the failing of the police to act according to the law.

1 Like

You haven’t answered my query about not waiting by the hazard to warn others. That would have earned applause.

1 Like

The government disagree with you on this one,

Ah yes, but the Govt don’t know what they are talking about and shouldn’t be believed Bruss…

I suppose technically a crime was in progress if it is a criminal offence to block the path? A continuous and ongoing crime being committed. Easy pull for the bib, I’m surprised they didn’t all turn up.

On a serious note I think I would have knocked the door or spoke to the builders before any other action.