Obstruction of Public Pavements - is it a criminal offence?

This thread is so full of LOL. If it was on any other forum I would suspect it was a deliberate wind up :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Please read the thread. Already been covered. That site varies between over simplification and good old plain inaccuracy. It is not a reliable source on any government related subject and it lacks the depth e.g. you’ll note that it links to… exactly nothing. That despite the terms of service for said number being laid out in both legislation and guidance.

Pick any topic and you’ll come across the same issue.

In England and Wales, if it’s a public highway then yes. If it’s a private road then the path would have to be a public footpath in its own right.

In legal terms the ‘road’ extends across from one boundary of the highway to the other. What we colloquially call road is the ‘carriageway’ and the pavement is the ‘footway’.

If you have the appropriate licences you may legally drive your motor vehicle on the carriageway but not the footway. This is why it is wrong, in law, to park on the pavement.

1 Like

All covered in the legislation. Publicly available.

Yeah, it seems if one wanted a quick remedy this would’ve been the route to take instead of putting unnecessary burden on an already stressed organization.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yes, but according to a couple of members here, that is their job and if they don’t like it, they should toddle off and do something else.

Perhaps the question they should ask themselves is not “Can I ring 999”, but more " Should I ring 999".

Anyway , 100 posts now and only 2 that think it’s OK to do so.

1 Like

I think we should go back to the good old days

“On 30 June 1937, the capital’s new emergency telephone line was unveiled. A notice in the Evening News advised the public how to use it.

"Only dial 999… if the matter is urgent; if, for instance, the man in the flat next to yours is murdering his wife or you have seen a heavily masked cat burglar peering round the stack pipe of the local bank building.

“If the matter is less urgent, if you have merely lost little Towser or a lorry has come to rest in your front garden, just call up the local police.”

4 Likes

Is that someone who likes peas? I like peas. But not on the pavement, as I may slip on them.

6 Likes

You could be arrested for a breach of the peas

7 Likes

Yeah, the case could be up before a Justice of the Peas.
Gentle joke @anon55098131 honest.

2 Likes

By the logic of the OP whole swathes of good citizens should as a matter of civil duty be dialling 999 to report wheely bins and recycling left out for the local authority collectors in 000s of streets up and down the country.

I’m amazed he isn’t petitioning all and sundry demanding that this outrage is met by the most severe response. COBRA being urgently convened is the very least we should expect!

3 Likes

But therefore surely parking on the pavement is just the same as parking on the road.

“I eats me peas wit honey
I ‘as done, all me life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
but it sticks ‘em to me knife”

3 Likes

There is that.

IMG_8999

What about when you order an item, with delivery specified as KERBSIDE. It’s left on the pavement and you move it as quickly as possible.

If the bricks have only been on the pavement a few hours or a day, I wouldn’t be too bothered. If it’s left 3 or 4 days I might get a bit cheesed off.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Can’t we all just take a vote on it !
This is just such a flea bite on a pimple in comparison with real life currently

1 Like

But.

The question is, who gets stoned. The builders merchant owners, the builders merchant driver, the person who ordered the bricks or the person who owns the property closest to where the brick where unloaded.

1 Like