Obstruction of Public Pavements - is it a criminal offence?

The person who says Jehovia! Obvs. :sweat_smile:

But seriously, whoever has the nerve to complain to the police about something like this, but doesn’t immediately mention/highlight it to the people at fault, should examine their own belief about their entitlement. Things like this happen all the time. :bell:ends are the only ones who kick off about it without trying to resolve amicably.

Edit: just to clarify - not referring to you, Fatcat

2 Likes

At last, we have a proper joke in this forum instead of that awful thread that lingers on and on.

Nice one haha.

1 Like

The law says you may drive on the carriageway but not on the footway. Try parking on the pavement without driving over part of it. Mind you, I bet some smart-arse solicitor somewhere has tried to convince a magistrate that their client pushed their car onto the pavement rather than drove it.

1 Like

My Dad used to sing that about 60 years ago. Not heard it in years.

I find it incomprehensible that so much animosity and disdain is heaped upon someone who tried to prevent harm occurring to others by doing what they genuinely believed to be the correct thing to do.

Even if you do not agree with me in the action I took, and it’s apparent that many or most do not, I would at least have expected that you would acknowledge that my actions were as a result of genuine concern for my fellow humans and as such do not deserve the sort of derisive responses largely on display here.

It’s hugely disappointing. I posted here hoping to get some genuine perspective and helpful replies. These have been apparent only from one or two people who have responded with the kind of serious and helpful replies that frankly I was expecting from everyone. More fool me!

Clearly it was not the right place to seek such answers. So I’ll leave it there.

Good night to all here and enjoy what’s left of the evening.

3 Likes

More like you have been inundated with responses that have quite rationally disagreed with your method of initial reporting. No one has criticised your concern over the obstruction and its possible risks, just your inappropriate use if the 999 emergency system.
Talk about dramatic. You post on here stating you called 999 for a pile of bricks on a pavement and you sulk because the majority have not given you the applause you obviously sought for doing so.
You posted, be prepared for the replies.

3 Likes

My poor old mother, Lord rest her, before she got dementia, would in all seriousness often say “some one should report that”.

But I think even she would have baulked at phoning 999.

I just dread to think what might not have happened on 30th January 1969 if PJL had been in 2 Savile Row.

.sjb

5 Likes

So thats why the coppers were in the reception hall.

Yup, had exactly this a few months ago with neighbours builders, they blocked off our drive three times in succession (with absolutely no temporary need), each time I asked them, politely, to not do this. At the forth time when they double parked their transits side my side totally blocking them off I decided the challenge them more forthrightly.

To my amusement was told there was no need to be rude, and had to point out that to be asked three times previously and then to repeat the same thing whilst upping was the rude act.

After I spoke to them directly I spoke to the neighbour, who had been keeping a low profile and feigned surprise that they had parked how they had, when in fact he was totally aware and not bothered as it didn’t inconvenience him.

However, you did have to be totally prepared of the distinct possibility that it could turn physical.

2 Likes

Despite what you and many others persist in falsely claiming here, my dialling 999 was the perfectly correct use of the service. One of the criteria for doing so is that ‘there is a crime in progress’, which indeed there was. Whether or not it demanded an emergency response is the decision of the 999 call centre. Whether you or anyone else or their mother, brother, old aunt or whoever would have called 999 is of zero relevance.

It is not my responsibility to intervene in the case of a crime being committed. That is what the police are there for. Again it is a perfectly correct use of the police force. Again it is irrelevant what you or any other person would have done.

What I was expecting the police to do is irrelevant again. It is not my responsibility - I am not a police officer, they are.

It really is a very simple matter. A crime was committed and was in progress and therefore it was reported to 999 as it should have been. This is where my responsibilities end as a concerned citizen and the authorities then take over.

4 Likes

Exactly why I asserted it was laughable that people here think the sensible thing to do would be to go talk to them. The sort of thing you could only get on a forum. Disconnected from real life. Anyone stupid enough to think it’s okay to put bricks in the middle of a pavement will think with their fists not their brain.

What is being missed here is that, far from being a pimple on a flea as asserted above, these obstructions are an everyday experience which cause huge problems. The thing is that as a problem it’s generally one faced only by people who have no choice but to be pedestrians.

If we were to have a poll on anything here my betting would be that the majority of people absolutely convinced of their logic would be car drivers.

Unfortunately, if you’re the person trying to get a push chair past this you’ll also be the person the bus doesn’t let onboard. If you’re in a wheelchair you’ll have both of those but also struggle to get on board or get into a significant majority of shops. That’s before the same people try to navigate round the bricks by going onto the road.

I suggest before the forum comments further it looks up the concept of the social model of disability and asks itself whether it’s construct of logic and how the world works simply isn’t the general experience of a whole other group of people and thus your “logic” and the level of frustration you believe would be sensible here just might not be relevant.

Let’s not forget that the idea of anyone that the idea of anyone on a hifi forum trying to tell others what they ought to consider as trivial requires a certain lack of self awareness in the first place.

3 Likes

Exactly so.

It is not the responsibility of anyone here to make a judgment of how serious a criminal offence is and what response is called for. The responsibility in the case of an offence being committed is to report it to the police. End of.

1 Like

My view, and yours, is irrelevant. It is legislation and the law.

Whatever your views happen to be, it is not your responsibility to grade crimes and decide which of them should be dealt with by the authorities and how. Respectfully, that way lies madness., to use your own words. It is the seeds of vigilante culture.

2 Likes

As per my previous post for pedestrians who do not drive this is far from a minor transgression. It is an every single day nightmare. Another thing compounding the general experience.

1 Like

But you think it is yours? Im sure you didnt ring 999 just to “let them know” I bet.
You no doubt demanded action. A decision that ,according to you, is not up to you but the authorities.
You are arguing against yourself.

1 Like

Good call by the police.

They unfortunately need to deal with a lot of nuisance and entitlement trying to block the important phone lines to be able to thankfully still have some resources left to manage at least some of the actual real emergencies, life threatening situations and crime.

8 Likes

Totally agree with the sentiments Mike, so often see cars parked up on pavements leaving no way round for someone with mobility issues, or indeed someone with a buggy for children.

My regular moan is to drivers that park their car at the entrance to the local park obstructing the dropped kerb, which is there to assist those with mobility considerations to actually be able to get in to what is a lovely area. Could literally park it 10 yards back, but no, right over it so they can get their dogs out of the boot as close to the entrance. I’m walking my dog at the same park, so it isn’t a dig at dog walkers, they will almost undoubtedly be the walkers that leave their pets mess behind, which also grinds my gears and I’ll have to clear it up else we are all labelled with the same ignorance.

I’m a motorist and a cyclist, and I see selfish and dangerous decisions on both sides, little bit of consideration can go a long way.

Got back a few weeks ago from working in Riyadh, the traffic and driving style is unbelievable, however, because it is so chaotic there is next to no road rage, over here everyone would be kicking off (and I’ll include myself in that). But it would be pointless over there, you would never get anywhere, there is almost a poetic flow to the madness and you have to embrace it.

1 Like

Just ona point of law that would mean the cps would be unlikely to prosecute. The legislation allows for a reasonable excuse for a temporary blocking of a highway. This includes such things as erection of scaffolding around a property for the purpose of works. I don’t think a delivery of bricks is likely to give the cps the necessary to prosecute.

1 Like

Exactly, that is the police’s job and if I remember correctly the police told you that this was not a police matter. In addition, they urged you not to call 999 unnecessarily. Time to move on, I think…

Being as polite as I can. This forum is a fairly middle class place. The experience of “trades” is that you pay them and they do as they’re asked. Out on a main road that is not what takes place. Try asking the G4 driver to remove his van off the entire pavement. Try asking the person who did the below to recognise there might be an issue. Literally not a hope in hell.

For the record, I approached the people responsible for the below and despite having my cane in hand and there being someone behind me with a push chair I was firmly told to eff off and then threatened. I called the police in the same manner as our OP and they had no issue at all with intervening. A query was briefly raised as to why 999. The cop who asked this was stood on the road next to the cone when asking. After the next vehicle through travelling at around 40mph missed him by inches he fell very quiet.

I also pointed out that he had the luxury of seeing that vehicle and moving slightly. I do not. As I can’t step out safely I have to reverse and go a completely different route home which takes me a mile out of my way. Not much in theory but in practice it’s a further mile of exactly this sort of obstruction and the effort to navigate it is exhausting. Indeed at the end of it I have to choose between crossing a main road with no crossing point or crossing the other end of this road on a zebra crossing in a hopeless location just off a bend so that one lane of vehicles are effectively blind when approaching it. I have had multiple near misses and been hit once sustaining, fortunately, only a minor injury.

Again, if you are a car driver and not a regular pedestrian then your perspective, logic, level of frustration are not really on the money here.

Contrary to assertions above, what you tend to find is that if you raise and push the issue the police are actually very helpful indeed; don’t see it as impeding anything else their paymasters have been told is more important and will happily address such matters in the future provided you keep raising it.

In this instance the local authority had been told something very different about the protections which would be put in place and approved those. They had no intent nor the resources to check every such instance but once the police stepped in they were there before the end of the day and the whole thing was closed down; removed; permission removed and so on. The work has just recommended two months later with a run in of cones for 30m before this turn and a clearly marked lane for pedestrians.

Note that prior to addressing this with the police I had contacted my local authority; received an acknowledgement and been advised they would respond to me within 14 days. Police intervention changed that. It also transpired that these people were working simultaneously on a nearby site also next to the road but with insufficient scaffolding at roof level to keep them safe and no route through the scaffolding for pedestrians. I understand charges have since been brought.

Ultimately the police do not operate on consent. Their priorities are determined by pressure. The public have more right to dictate what is important to them than anyone else.

1 Like