OK, so I'm not a "jazz lover"

Actually Steve Howe was particularly influenced by Kenny Burrell. Check out his jazz trio albums, such as this one:

Hi suzy try buck Clayton jam session this is great swinging jazz. . Also zoot sims great tenors sax
Player. Also count Basie band. You can tap your feet to this music.

Title track is essential in any jazz collection.

4 Likes

Where’s @suzywong ? After so many suggestions I am curious to know what she enjoyed.Perhaps not have time since?

1 Like

The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD should keep anyone occupied for quite some time. :wink:

Dave

1 Like

Yep. It arrived yesterday. Three inches thick, and very small type! :smiley:

And to accompany the reading, I’m running through this lot:

…which will keep me going for a while.

2 Likes

also recommended late Art Pepper…

511QjJnSuwL

Enjoy

Dave

Has it been updated? I have four editions, the last being the ninth edition, but I could do with an updated one.

I think the 9th edition is the most recent: Amazon have it listed at £53.

I went for a s/h 7th edition from ebay coz it was half the cost of the 9th!

Richard Cook passed away about 10 years ago (or a bit more). I’m not sure more books were produced after that.

One of the contributors, Richard Cook, died of cancer in 2007, which I guess accounts for the discontinuation. Still, you won’t miss that much with an earlier edition and, in fact, reviews are deleted from later editions as the CDs cease to be manufactured, which is why I retain earlier editions.

A couple I listened to on the Astell&Kern whilst pottering.
I do like the guitarist Julian Lange.
On Qobuz, Dave. Think you will enjoy them
N

N
After several heart attacks he thought it best to retire.

One of my all time favourite musicians but I’m not too familiar with these albums so will have to head off to Qobuz/Roon and rectified.

Dave

Moreimage
With a young Gary Burton.

N

I’m a heavy/prog fan too. Some of the Riverside stuff is classic heavy prog rock with jazz elements - try “The Struggle for Survival” as an example. There is also Jordan Rudess who does heavy prog with jazz infusion.

For new Jazz, I came across this album on the forum and really enjoy it, and it’s a superb recording:

2 Likes

@Nike1940 No disrespect but this is starting to get confusing!

I know I’ve posted on this thread but I was trying to address the OP’s specific question.

Isn’t one Jazz Music thread enough?

Dave

Yes, my fault,I noticed it was the wrong thread.
I am easily confused.
N

Me too! That’s why I like to try and keep it simple. :grinning:

Dave

In classical music it is the same piece that They are playing maybe at a different speed.with jazz the players
Do not know what is coming out of the Their instrument .it differs in every performance . The same
With rock musicians the solos vary.

Boplicity by Ari Honing!